Could Andre Gurode Help our O-Line?

Matt in KC

Andre Gurode's future with the Dallas Cowboys is up in the air.

The five-time Pro Bowl center was on the inactive list for Saturday night's preseason game at Minnesota, despite the fact that he has been healthy during training camp...

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said on the team's pregame TV show that Gurode's status on the roster is under scrutiny for salary-cap reasons, so he was held out of the game to avoid injury. Coach Jason Garrett said on the show that the Cowboys would evaluate Gurode's situation Sunday.

"He's certainly a player that's done some outstanding things for the Cowboys in his career but has had really exciting competition this camp and is still having it, so we're going to go back and have a business talk," Jones said. "There's certainly no discipline involved here. It's just a cap thing. We need to look at it from the standpoint of where he is, what we pay him, what we're going to be doing in the future."

Gurode article at NFL.com

First off, I know this is very likely just posturing/pressure and there's not much chance the Cowboys will cut Gurode. Still, I found these statements by Jones to be pretty amazing. I'd expect Gerode to just flatly say no to any request to reduce his salary. Would the Cowboys really consider sutting him?

If the Cowboys did cut Gurode, do you think he could help the Bills o-line, or would it be better for the Bills to stick with their own youth movement? :D

My thought is a guy like Gurode could bring the younger ones up! He has the experience and skills that could be leveraged across the whole O line. Four straight pro-bowls and he is now 33. Last pro bowl 2010. We are not talking about a long term change here!

No thanks. He's 32, lets see what the young guys can do.

Exactly. Every snap at every position this year must be filled by a young guy, even if it's a talentless scrub like Mansfield Wrotto. We've already determined beyond the shaddow of a doubt that despite major upgrades on defense and a soft schedule, that this team can't make the playoffs.

Exactly. Every snap at every position this year must be filled by a young guy, even if it's a talentless scrub like Mansfield Wrotto. We've already determined beyond the shaddow of a doubt that despite major upgrades on defense and a soft schedule, that this team can't make the playoffs.

Yes, lets sign Gurode and plug him in as center. It would be awesome to move Wood back to RG, when he has spent the entire off season playing C. Not to mention it would be great for Urbik's development to sit on the bench.

Come to think of it, we should sign TO as well. We can't have a scrub like Marcus Easley in the line up.

Yes, lets sign Gurode and plug him in as center. It would be awesome to move Wood back to RG, when he has spent the entire off season playing C. Not to mention it would be great for Urbik's development to sit on the bench.

Come to think of it, we should sign TO as well. We can't have a scrub like Marcus Easley in the line up.

It's not just Gurode, but this same argument gets thrown out anytime someone mentions bringing in an aging vet. I get the concept of getting experience for the young guys, but treating that as an absolute just gets annoying after a while. There is a happy medium.

And Urbik may develop into a starter, but that's not looking very promising thus far. I'd be happy to relegate him to a backup role.

Edited by Rob's House

It's not just Gurode, but this same argument gets thrown out anytime someone mentions bringing in an aging vet. I get the concept of getting experience for the young guys, but treating that as an absolute just gets annoying after a while. There is a happy medium.

On the flip side... it gets annoying that every time a position is manned by a young player, we get 10000 threads about signing some guy who has 1 year left to start.

And Urbik may develop into a starter, but that's not looking very promising thus far. I'd be happy to relegate him to a backup role.

This is close to where I am. If Urbik looked like he was developing I'd be more interested in giving him time. At this point he just looks passable. If he's not the future, then yes, I'd much rather bring in a solid vet that could help us win, teach the kids, and help instill a winning attitude, even on a 1-2 year deal.

I'll be frank, when I started this topic I didn't realise he was 32 years old. I thought he was more somewhere 28-30 and it was a no-brainer to bring him in on a couple year deal, if available. Time flies!

There's no mold, and Nix HAS brought in veterans at other positions of need. It is completely reasonable to believe he might do the same on the OL.

If you are comparing LB there is no comparison......we had just lost our starter to the jags....

In this case we HAVE a young center and Urbik is improving so there is no need to move Wood to center

Its just not happening.....the most we can probably hope for are that Nix realizes that Wang, Wrotto, and Howard are not NFL players and he brings in some camp cuts from other teams that have a surplus of GOOD offensive linemen

And Nix tends to go with younger over older

As a one or two year temporary move yeah. We need help along the O-line. Having a ****ty O-line will hamper the holistic development of the offense. Gurode at C and moving Wood to RG would be a nice improvement in the O-line.

Bell-Levitre-Gurode-Wood-Pears is an o-line that is much better then what we would currently be running out there. It would also give us better depth along the interior Hangman and Reinhart would be pretty good players to have as backups.

Sure he would, he'd be a huge upgrade at C and Wood would be a huge upgrade back at RG. Will it happen? Highly unlikely, too bad.

Very unlikely the bills will sign T.O, Merriman, and Barnett as well. But wait, they did the last few years.

Edited by Bills!Win!

If he played tackle then yes, but we have plenty of serviceable guards and centers. WE NEED DEPTH AT TACKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree

Very unlikely the bills will sign T.O, Merriman, and Barnett as well. But wait, they did the last few years.

TO was not signed by this GM....as a matter of fact he let him go in favor of Johnston....a younger player

Merrimen was a player that Chan had history with from the Chargers and was brought in as a waiver wire pickup on the chance that he might have something left....and we did not have a steady starter at that position

Barnett was brought in because we lost Poz and did not have a starter

sooo?