Tropical Storm/Hurricane Irene

/dev/null

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You

Winds are only going to be 30 - 40 in Charlton.

Should be a good night in Buffalo.

I just took the 0600 weather report @ work... Clear/fair, 66 degrees, wind from the NNW @ 1 mph... Max yesterday @ 80, min @ 61... Water temp 75 degrees... Gonna be a glorious day here! 0:)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Philly is too far inland to get the worst of this and later begins our wild ride, but not a bird nor bug peeping this morning. Overcast and no raid. Creepy.Good luck east coasters.

I don't know... This map still puts Philly in the "Extreme" area:

Threat Level

What is the Delaware River predicted to do? What about local tribs like the Schuykill?

just watching the dc news..too funny guy standing out on the beach in ocean city MD trying to make it look really bad.news reader in the studio asks him to take his wind gauge out thinking it would be all dramatic...thing hit all of 16 MPH.

Flew back from Islamorada yesterday - cutting short the end of summer vacation by a day.

Last Tues we thought for sure it was going to hit us there.

Now, it's going to run over us here in NJ.

Such is life. Glad I got back in time to mow the lawn.

I'm thinking that this storm is being overblown.

Weather Channel is in full OJ obsession mode.

The storm surge is the greatest threat to coastal areas.

Tropical storm wind and rain - meh!

Keep losing DirecTV signal :(

Outside right now is the proverbial cow pissing on a flat rock

It's getting pretty bad here on the peninsula, I can't even imagine how bad it is at the beach.

It's getting pretty bad here on the peninsula, I can't even imagine how bad it is at the beach.

It's no fun. Lost power for about an hour. Have quite a few limbs down in my yard. The water behind my house has risen about 3 feet. It still has about 50 feet before it gets to my back door.

Seems like Irene is weakening a bit. Don't really know what to expect, as there seems to be some overreaction going on here. We picked up all the lawn furniture, kids toys, and such. Ready for the tempest. My town VFD wants us to post at the station at 8pm, but I don't think I will show up unless there is a significant emergency, I figure I have to stay home and watch out for my kids and wife first.

I don't know... This map still puts Philly in the "Extreme" area:

Threat Level

What is the Delaware River predicted to do? What about local tribs like the Schuykill?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Schuykill will flood. After living in Manayunk which is right on the Schuykill, Manayunk and the Manayunk Brew Pub suffered extensive damage from Hurricane Floyd in 1999 and more recently, suffered extensive flooding from severe rains in the fall of 2006.

Here are some pictures of what it looked like:

My link

My g/f lives in New Hope, PA, which is where we will be riding out the storm, is right on the Delaware River. It has the propensity to flood, as a local told me yesterday, "if you look at it the wrong way". Here are some flood pictures from a flood in Spring of 2005, mostly caused by melting snow and heavy rains:

My link