Bell's performance last night

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/21/2375667/broncos-vs-bills-demetrius-bell-elvis-dumervil-von-miller#comments

"In 31 offensive snaps last night - a much higher total than Chan Gailey planned to get in - Bell routinely struggled, particularly with speed off the edge, which rarely gave him problems in 2010. He gave up a sack to rookie Von Miller (pictured) on a pure speed rush, and Elvis Dumervil had his number all evening. We counted four snaps in which Dumervil beat Bell with ease; two of those plays led to Ryan Fitzpatrick throw-aways, Bell held on one that went uncalled, and Dumervil blew up a handoff to C.J. Spiller on another.

His problems didn't stop there, either. At least twice, Bell hit the ground trying to run block after tripping. He gave up a pressure to Robert Ayers that, along with a Marcus Easley drop, led to an interception. Twice, defenders had beaten Bell with inside moves - something he did struggle with last year - and would've registered hits had Fitzpatrick not already thrown the ball.

Buffalo is in enough trouble up front personnel-wise to have Bell struggle in this capacity. He's the unchallenged starting left tackle. If he doesn't improve vastly, it may not matter who else the Bills play up front."

Last year, Bell got a pass with the injuries to his knee and playing with an injured shoulder. There's no excuses this year. I really hope Nix signs McKinnie or any other tackle that is somewhat useable, because Bell & Pears are both horrible.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/21/2375667/broncos-vs-bills-demetrius-bell-elvis-dumervil-von-miller#comments

"In 31 offensive snaps last night - a much higher total than Chan Gailey planned to get in - Bell routinely struggled, particularly with speed off the edge, which rarely gave him problems in 2010. He gave up a sack to rookie Von Miller (pictured) on a pure speed rush, and Elvis Dumervil had his number all evening. We counted four snaps in which Dumervil beat Bell with ease; two of those plays led to Ryan Fitzpatrick throw-aways, Bell held on one that went uncalled, and Dumervil blew up a handoff to C.J. Spiller on another.

His problems didn't stop there, either. At least twice, Bell hit the ground trying to run block after tripping. He gave up a pressure to Robert Ayers that, along with a Marcus Easley drop, led to an interception. Twice, defenders had beaten Bell with inside moves - something he did struggle with last year - and would've registered hits had Fitzpatrick not already thrown the ball.

Buffalo is in enough trouble up front personnel-wise to have Bell struggle in this capacity. He's the unchallenged starting left tackle. If he doesn't improve vastly, it may not matter who else the Bills play up front."

Last year, Bell got a pass with the injuries to his knee and playing with an injured shoulder. There's no excuses this year. I really hope Nix signs McKinnie or any other tackle that is somewhat useable, because Bell & Pears are both horrible.

Can't argue with that. Unfortunatley, if Bell's struggles continue, then Gailey is going to be forced to keep a TE or RB in to help Bell and that's going to limit the play calling. We've seen it before.

I'm hoping that last night was nothing more than a bad game. They happen. But the way he got beat has me concerned.

The point about not having any competition is interesting. You'd think a guy like him would take nothing for granted but maybe he's gotten complacent.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed in all, but the sack. That was Chandler's error. He should have blocked miller first before releasing. he did not recognize the blitz. i believe part of Bell's problem may also have been the changing of levitre and rhinehart @ LG. You need to know what your linemate is going to do. not enough time working with rhinehart. We will see next week. That to me will be key. I believe the starting lineup needs to be set at that time.

What is actually kinda comical (or sad depending on how you look at it) is that this is about Bell but Pears....who has been nothing but solid in both pre season games gets lumped in.

Pears did his job last night and doesnt deserve this....Bell had a bad night....but lets forget the fact that he did very well against Peppers LAST weekend.

There appears to be some problems with guys knowing their assignments and knowing how to use proper technique. Urbik for instance is a big strong guard but he is getting beat because his use of leverage is poor(he just doesn't get low enough and he is slow). Bell's problems dealing both Dumervil and Von Miller would be a headache for any LT in the league. For now, I'll give the guy a pass but not for long.

I think Chan swapping Levitri has more to do with his size than anything(Rinehart has been doing well in camp and he has 30lbs on Levitri).

Pears doesn't seem to be doing bad. At least he is doing his job which is more than some others on the line.

Wood is a stud, but I tend to agree with the OP somewhat. We need our best OL in there and Hangartner is one of them. Whether Wood or Hangartner is the center, I just don't know. We know Wood can play guard, but we don't know if Hangartner is any better at guard than the younger guys. I do know that Hangartner was stopping Kellen Heard and Micheal Jasper in their tracks in camp and for a guy as small as Hangman, that's pretty impressive.

The offensive line looked pretty bad as a unit in both preseason contests so far. Can they get their act together? That is the question. But at this stage, going into a complete panic and bringing in replacements could possibly do more harm than good. These guys are young and my experience with young people is that they can be boneheaded sometimes. Maybe they just need to get their heads outta their a$$.

I'm still glad that we have a big influx of defensive talent added to the team. We needed that more than anything. Buffalo Bills football just doesn't seem right without a dominant defense. What we have on offense though is going to have to do until we can actually find something better. Maybe that will happen this year, but most likely it'll have to wait until next. Crying for old Joe blow fatso this year just seems wrong to me.

What is actually kinda comical (or sad depending on how you look at it) is that this is about Bell but Pears....who has been nothing but solid in both pre season games gets lumped in.

Pears did his job last night and doesnt deserve this....Bell had a bad night....but lets forget the fact that he did very well against Peppers LAST weekend.

I didn't see much beyond highlights last week- did peppers even play?

Yeah Peppers played two series and Bell pretty much handled him the whole time. Don't know what happened this week. I'm befuddled.

Fair enough, but did he actually play (ie any intensity at all)?

Bells been up and down. Far from consistent so I'm not shocked either way.

They should just put Hangman in at RG and be done with it

how bout put hangartner back to center wood to RG uhrbik can suck it cause i watched him last night and he blocked when he felt like it and put levitre at right tackle cause he played that position in college and then we pray bell plucks his head out of his butt?

As I posted in another tread, both Bell and Pears were bad against the speedy edge rushers of the Broncos last night. Bell especially, but Pears got beat several times which led to pressure/issues.