Tonights Game

RU Serious

Would like to see how extended play on offense looks like without Lee Evans or on defense without Merriman. I'm concerned the opposing defense will not respect our deep threat without Evans and that our own defense will be a one-trick pony without Merriman. Also curious to see how Tim Jesus Fire Tebow plays. Gotta admit I'm a little excited to see any success with the Wildcat, too. Not excited at all about the potential of our weak O line imploding.

What's the one trick?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to get off topic, however were there issues with Spiller pre-draft that he couldn't learn to pick up the pass blocking

or just hadn't done it? Was is an issue coming out of college? I know last year he was bad.

He was rarely asked to do it in college. It's not as though it was a red flag in the draft, although, since he was undersized, and known for running away from tacklers and not through them, it's not as though it would have been a surprise to anyone that he couldn't do it well as a rookie.

For a lot of backs that were good pass blockers in college, it takes some time before they can do it in the NFL. IIRC, Freddy Jackson, who is good at it now, took a couple years before he became the way he is.

Furthermore, Spiller's problem was exacerbated because he was on the Bills. People don't realize how bad our OL was last year, especially due to injury. Bell and Wood were on one leg. Guys got hurt all over. Street free agents were brought in one week and starting the next. I think we played three centers who didnt start the season as centers against Minny. We didnt use TEs in patterns because they had to help the OL. A RB had to be able to pass block well or Fitz would have been killed more than he was getting killed, which was substantial.

He was rarely asked to do it in college. It's not as though it was a red flag in the draft, although, since he was undersized, and known for running away from tacklers and not through them, it's not as though it would have been a surprise to anyone that he couldn't do it well as a rookie.

For a lot of backs that were good pass blockers in college, it takes some time before they can do it in the NFL. IIRC, Freddy Jackson, who is good at it now, took a couple years before he became the way he is.

Furthermore, Spiller's problem was exacerbated because he was on the Bills. People don't realize how bad our OL was last year, especially due to injury. Bell and Wood were on one leg. Guys got hurt all over. Street free agents were brought in one week and starting the next. I think we played three centers who didnt start the season as centers against Minny. We didnt use TEs in patterns because they had to help the OL. A RB had to be able to pass block well or Fitz would have been killed more than he was getting killed, which was substantial.

Good explanation, thank you. It just all comes back to the O-line doesn't it.

I'd like to see the following things that I feel are all realistic, though I only expect to see around 50%

• NO INJURIES
  • A TD from our starting offense
  • CJ Spiller run decisively
  • CJ break a tackle
  • CJ have at least one good pass block
  • White run for over 10 yards (he's decisive and I've like to see him get to the second level at least once)
  • White get to the LOS most of the time before a defender is on him (2nd string o-line performance)
  • Decent CB play fom Corner. If he plays poorly, I'm about ready to give up on him, though I've read reports he's had some good days at camp.
  • More flashes of playmaking from A. William. I don't care if he gets burned a couple times; he's still learning
  • Something better than mediocre special teams play on kicks and coverage. At this point average would be a big step up.
  • No Moorman punts under 35 yards. If this happens from the Bills side of the field, something is wrong and I'm startign to worry about CM
  • Two or more physically dominating plays from either Jasper or Heard
  • Few penalties. I'm not too worried about it, but not uncommon in preseason and is often an indicator of poor coaching

Pure wish-list: I'd like to see an INT from McGee. I believe he's a natural playmaker and would love to see him look really healthy with his "jump" back

---------------------------------

For whatever reason I can't post the below separately. The board keeps merging my reply with the above....

Would like to see how extended play on offense looks like without Lee Evans or on defense without Merriman. I'm concerned the opposing defense will not respect our deep threat without Evans and that our own defense will be a one-trick pony without Merriman.Also curious to see how Tim Jesus Fire Tebow plays. Gotta admit I'm a little excited to see any success with the Wildcat, too. Not excited at all about the potential of our weak O line imploding.

What's the one trick?

Dareus.

No love for Kyle, Barnett etc?

Edited by Matt in KC

From a Bills perspective, I think everything I'd like to see has already been mentioned.

From a broader perspective, I'm very excited to watch a few more things:

1) Von Miller. I would have been good if the Bills drafted Miller although I'm ecstatic that we drafted Dareus. I believe Miller will become a great player and not the second coming of Aaron Maybin which many on this forum believe.

2) Robert Ayers. He's the player I wanted the Bills to pick when they selected Aaron Maybin. Many others here wanted Orakpo, Cushing, Oher, Matthews… some were even in love with Maualuga. But I wanted Maybin because at the time the Bills were playing Jauron's 4-3 and Ayers was a classic 4-3 end at Tennessee.

Josh McDaniels drafted Ayers to be a 3-4 rush backer and Ayers couldn't make the switch… some players can, some can't. Ayers is 6'3.5" and 275 pounds and is not a space player. New coach John Fox has switched Ayers back to his natural 4-3 end position and I think this will help his career get back on track. I still believe that Ayers will become an excellent player although he's being viewed as somewhat of a disappointment while being miscast as a linebacker.

3) It's always interesting to watch Tim Tebow.

4) It's always interesting to watch Brady Quinn.

Both Quinn and Tebow are lightining rod type players of whom very few fans are indifferent.

2) Robert Ayers. He's the player I wanted the Bills to pick when they selected Aaron Maybin.

I as well. Interesting to see how he can perform under one of the top 43 schemers in Fox

Completely agree with those saying there's no need for Merriman to play. If he's healthy, he's an animal, just keep him that way. Our pass rush could suffer with him out, so much of it falls on K-Weezy and Dareus in the middle. We'll see if Carrington steps up

Kelly the Dog is right about Andra Davis, this guy was all over the field last week. Can he play that way all year? Looks big for a linebacker, capable of shedding and always knew where he was supposed to be.

I'll be watching Rinehart closely tonight, intrigued to see if we have a real player on our hands or if it's a battle of nobodies. Gotta continue monitoring the Tackles too.

I'm hoping Gailey gives different guys a chance at that #2 WR spot with the first unit, namely Roosevelt.

I don't think he is playing due to minor injury but not positive. I don't think he practiced this week.

You're correct. Here's the list of inactives from the team website:

WR Roscoe Parrish

CB Justin Rogers

LB Kelvin Sheppard

LB Shawne Merriman

OL Chris Hairston

WR Craig Davis

TE Shawn Nelson

LB Chris White

With all the time Davis and Parrish miss every year, I would like to see Roosevelt come out and show that he deserves a shot at being a starter, be it in the slot or the x

I'd like to see Jesus descend at halftime "to judge the living and the dead." And instead of any old water-into-wine miracles, I'd like to see Him turn the Maybin pick into the Ryan Matthews pick. Is that to much to ask?

I think after he judges the living and the dead, the world is over, unless He is a big football fan

What I'll be watching for/ hoping to see:

1. Batten at OLB- I'd love to see him get another sack, but I want to see how he does against the run as well on the first team (in place for Merriman tonight). Kelsay's hearing footsteps.

2. Rhinehart mixing in the first team- Obviously has the size, but then again so does Urbik/Pears, and they haven't been very promising yet.

3. Carrington in 3rd down pass rushing situations- Heard a lot of good things about him not to mention he performed well last week. Definitely a lot of potential with this guy, but he needs to keep it up.

4. Barnett- Like to see him get some more time. Very quite against Chicago, not worried about him just like to see him make some plays.

5. Gailey's plans for Fitz/Thigpen- See if the spread it out a little more than last week now that they've had an extra week of practice. I'm almost positive they will.

6. CJ- Just give him more touches. Bottom line.

7. Easley/Jones/Roosevelt/Aiken?- Someone needs to step up as the number 2 guy. Gailey sees Nelson as more of a slot guy, just want to see someone be a reliable target, and that starts tonight.

8. Heard vs. Jasper- I'm assuming they take 3 DT on the roster. With Williams and Troup locked in, these guys are going to have to battle it out.

9. Chandler- He's basically the number one guy. Nelson "hurt", but it just seems like he could care less and that Gailey has just totally given up on him. I want to see Chandler continually improving.

10. Dareus- And lastly, the big man. He promised revenge on the Broncos for not taking him second overall, if he doesn't get it done tonight he'll have to wait until christmas eve at the Ralph.

With all the time Davis and Parrish miss every year, I would like to see Roosevelt come out and show that he deserves a shot at being a starter, be it in the slot or the x

I think after he judges the living and the dead, the world is over, unless He is a big football fan

Nowhere does it say He's going to do that judging stuff immediately upon arrival. If we can get Him to agree to hold off on it until the Bills win a Super Bowl, then basically we've guaranteed "world without end, amen."

no injuries to starters

Better run game from Oline

D starter continue to looks decent against run. Pass rush without Merriman.

Another WR to help Stevie, maybe Namaan Roosevelt and Nelson to have better games. Want to see Jones get his swag on, Easley better not play nervous.