Should the Bills management care less about character?

Last year Tampa Bay management turned their franchise around by drafting very talented players with questionable character later in the draft. Blount and Williams appear to be pro bowl caliber players and both were considered serious risks on draft day, thus they dropped to the later rounds. I realize that Josh Freemen played a large role as well. Right now the bills will have to decide whether to draft Pryor. I'm not a scout, so I don't have an opinion on how good of a pro he will be. If they do decide that he has the talent to be good, either as a slash or at another position, should the bills take a chance? Should be bills in future drafts take more risks on talented players with character issues in the mid to later rounds? I feel the bills need talent, and they have enough character guys to support a few players with a troubled past.

Blount was not drafted as is stated later in this thread. That does not however, change the point of my post.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely we should care less about character in general than we have in the past. This regime doesn't really have (or "not have") that rep yet anyway though. Character is the most overrated thing in the history of all reporting. It's a media thing. There are a few guys in the league (or combination of guys w/ atmosphere/coach) that are toxic. Maybe 5ish...10 max. Even those few can be in the right position w/ the right people and have success. The idea these guys are sooo terrible and such thugs that character is some huge issue with so many of them...it's stupid. It's a damn football team. When you here "character" on ESPN or in a news article it should clue you off that they are giving some "Access Hollywood" type reporting for a bit as opposed to something real...it's the media created "reality show" part of football. It has nothing to do w/ who wins the SB.

As for Pyror...he's just no good. If they decide he's a good talent at any position they suck.

Edited by dayman

No.

Character, as we have seen, is hugely important to the fans. They will run somebody out of town, even a good player, for character flaws.

I happen to agree with them. Bills fans are wise, if nothing else, and we know the kind of player we need on the team. When it's freezing cold, in the 4th quarter, we don't need somebody who is character-deficient. On a darker level: we don't want players who are going to party for 2 weeks straight before the SB, as we have seen the results.

The problem is: every sports agent/the Bills PR department knows that character is important. Which is why JP Losman was cleaning up the city, and spreading incoherent crap to kids. They are confused. They think Bills fans will somehow forget about a player's ability if they do things that make them look like they have character. They are mistaken. We know a real character guy when we see one, and, we know a good player when we see one.

I bet Tim Tebow would punch you in the face if he saw this post.

Have you seen his accuracy?.... somehow I think my face is safe. After he missed, I'd point out that it was Jesus fault and offer him a non-alcoholic beverage.

Edited by DasNootz

No.

Character, as we have seen, is hugely important to the fans. They will run somebody out of town, even a good player, for character flaws.

I happen to agree with them. Bills fans are wise, if nothing else, and we know the kind of player we need on the team. When it's freezing cold, in the 4th quarter, we don't need somebody who is character-deficient. On a darker level: we don't want players who are going to party for 2 weeks straight before the SB, as we have seen the results.

The problem is: every sports agent/the Bills PR department knows that character is important. Which is why JP Losman was cleaning up the city, and spreading incoherent crap to kids. They are confused. They think Bills fans will somehow forget about a player's ability if they do things that make them look like they have character. They are mistaken. We know a real character guy when we see one, and, we know a good player when we see one.

what's your argument? jp is bad for cleaning up the city? sports agents suck? only fans, who have zero intimate knowledge of the emotional life of players can be trusted to judge character?

character on the football field is winning. that's all it is. it's about beating the hell out of the guy on the opposite side of the line.

if a player is great, we will excuse all manner of transgressions. winning is the entire point of this enterprise.

when it comes to the bills, i just want them to win. i'll look elsewhere for lessons in morality.

I don't want Pryor.

The Bills don't care that much about character, though. That was just a marketing buzzword popularized by the return of Marv Levy.

I can't speak for the current FO but Marv talked about character as soon as he was hired as coach. What many people have forgotten over the years is that Marv wasn't talking about character as in choir boys. He placed high importance on "football" character. Those were the types of players he wanted. The kind that took care of business on and off the field. If his players were stellar citizens as well so much the better. But it wasn't a prerequisite. Kelly, Bruce, and many others partied hard off the field. But they ALWAYS took care of their business in practice, meetings, film study, and games.

Football character. We've got some players that have it again.

GO BILLS!!!

what's your argument? jp is bad for cleaning up the city? sports agents suck? only fans, who have zero intimate knowledge of the emotional life of players can be trusted to judge character?

character on the football field is winning. that's all it is. it's about beating the hell out of the guy on the opposite side of the line.

if a player is great, we will excuse all manner of transgressions. winning is the entire point of this enterprise.

when it comes to the bills, i just want them to win. i'll look elsewhere for lessons in morality.

And that on field character is what we need. 60 minutes, every Sunday. All out practice. There's a reason Ocho is struggling to adjust in a winning franchise.