Nix: Offensive line depth Bills’ main concern

It amazes me that people here still shout "JUST BRING IN WHOEVER THEY ARE TOTALLY BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE SITTING AT HOME EATING CHEETOS ON THE COUCH INSTEAD OF BEING SNAPPED UP RIGHT AWAY BY OTHER TEAMS WITH OFFENSIVE LINE TROUBLE!"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another wrinkle......

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/2011.html

In round 2 of this draft, we selected a corner at #2. Nix said that he had numerous trade down offers in every round.

Defensive backs were selected at #18 and #28.

Offensive Tackles were taken at 14, 17, and 31. Pitt and Indy each took one by the way.

My point? How much did they have to love Williams? It seems like they could have addressed OT AND CB in round 2 with a trade down.

I hope that Williams can live up to all of this.

...my first guess would be that Williams was more highly rated than the CB and/or O-lineman they could have taken in his place. I think it's obvious that Nix refused all trades because he wasn't willing to give up our early picks in each round because we needed the value and the sure-fire picks more than anyone else. To say we could have had both positions in one round is probably accurate, but you have no way of knowing if those players would have been reaches at their respected picks. He did what needs to be done in the mid-stages of a rebuild- he decisively fixed multiple holes contributing to one major problem, and he did it with the highest-value, lowest-risk picks he could. ...Who has room for risk when they don't have a team to begin with?

It amazes me that people here still shout "JUST BRING IN WHOEVER THEY ARE TOTALLY BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE SITTING AT HOME EATING CHEETOS ON THE COUCH INSTEAD OF BEING SNAPPED UP RIGHT AWAY BY OTHER TEAMS WITH OFFENSIVE LINE TROUBLE!"

jeremy...you are aware that Nix has been through 2 drafts, 2 complete off seasons and 1 complete season? This didn't happen today. (and please don't yell at us)

Why is this puzzling you? Is there somebody making that assertion?

And what evidence do you have to suggest otherwise? Have their been cases around the league since the Free Agency Era began that suggest that teams in the exact same personnel and scheduling situation as Buffalo have done it any better?

Yes.

Atlanta rebuilt in one year with a new regime, and and made the playoffs.

Miami rebuilt in one year with a new regime, and made the playoffs

The Jets rebuilt in one year with a new head coach, and made the playoffs.

Some might argue that 2008 Ravens were a rebuild with a new head coach after the state that Billick left them; that might be a stretch. But they went from a 5-win team to a playoff team in one year.

Yes.

Atlanta rebuilt in one year with a new regime, and and made the playoffs.

Miami rebuilt in one year with a new regime, and made the playoffs

The Jets rebuilt in one year with a new head coach, and made the playoffs.

Some might argue that 2008 Ravens were a rebuild with a new head coach after the state that Billick left them; that might be a stretch. But they went from a 5-win team to a playoff team in one year.

Is all of this true? These teams were devoid of talent in nearly every category? Their front office was a disaster? They had endured 10 years of bad draft choices and personnel decisions?

Out of any of the links below, what team's records actually show a complete sustainable change from being in complete despair for 10 years to being in the playoffs 1 year after the new regime entered? They all built off of what was already there (ATL), didn't really improve (NYJ), or improved for one year (MIA).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/

A new coach and a few "missing piece" players is not a rebuild.

Our team has been literally gutted and rebuilt from the ground up to GM. Rebuilding is rebuilding, not remodeling.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Is all of this true? These teams were devoid of talent in nearly every category? Their front office was a disaster? They had endured 10 years of bad draft choices and personnel decisions?

Our team has been literally gutted and rebuilt from the ground up to GM. Rebuilding is rebuilding, not remodeling.

In 2007, they were saying the exact same thing about Atlanta. In one year, they made the playoffs. One year.

The notion that you need 3 to 5 years to rebuild is a complete fallacy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/48885-atlanta-falcons-preview-stuck-cleaning-up-michael-vicks-mess

What he said.

Miami had one good season, and has since tanked it.

Since 2000, the Jets have had three losing seasons and have made the playoffs six times.

Since 2000, Atlanta has had four losing seasons and has made the playoffs four tiems.

Now, explain to me again the relevance of those teams to the Bills and their plan for sustained competitiveness.

In 2007, they were saying the exact same thing about Atlanta. In one year, they made the playoffs. One year.

The notion that you need 3 to 5 years to rebuild is a complete fallacy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/48885-atlanta-falcons-preview-stuck-cleaning-up-michael-vicks-mess

And prior to 2007, they WERE IN THE PLAYOFFS IN 2004.

Why is this so hard, man?

You know what else Cat? Nix could've just done NOTHING and it would have been better. Soon after he took over, Nix chose not to re-sign Richie Incognito or Jonathan Scott. Neither are All Pros, but both are starters. And yet here we have Nix complaining about his line depth. Think one or both of those players would help right now? Incognito was a RFA for chrissakes, and Nix chose to let him walk.

So let me sum it up for you: since taking over, Nix jettisoned 2 NFL-caliber offensive linemen. He's drafted 3 offensive linemen in 18 picks, and two of them can't play. He's signed no one of import at the position.

The problem with the line is not a lack of time. It's lack of priority, lack effort, or lack of ability, by Buddy Nix.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

What he said.

Miami had one good season, and has since tanked it.

Since 2000, the Jets have had three losing seasons and have made the playoffs six times.

Since 2000, Atlanta has had four losing seasons and has made the playoffs four tiems.

Now, explain to me again the relevance of those teams to the Bills and their plan for sustained competitiveness.

And prior to 2007, they WERE IN THE PLAYOFFS IN 2004.

Why is this so hard, man?

Not buying it. Just because those teams don't have the longevity of incompetence that the Bills have is irrelevant. What is relevant is that those teams hit rock bottom, and then in one year rebuilt into a playoff team.

I find it hard to believe that you can think the 1-15 dolphins were a few good players away from making the playoffs. Or the 2007 Falcons, for that matter, given the mess they had with Petrino and Vick.

The NFL is filled with imperfect teams. Each off-season, you need to draft well, sign FA's if possible, and get stop-gap players to make due at positions of weakness. Even the Steelers, who build through the draft, had to go out and get some o-line vets off the garbage heap last season to be gap-fillers (Flozell Adams, Jonathon Scott).

Not buying it. Just because those teams don't have the longevity of incompetence that the Bills have is irrelevant. What is relevant is that those teams hit rock bottom, and then in one year rebuilt into a playoff team.

I find it hard to believe that you can think the 1-15 dolphins were a few good players away from making the playoffs. Or the 2007 Falcons, for that matter, given the mess they had with Petrino and Vick.

The NFL is filled with imperfect teams. Each off-season, you need to draft well, sign FA's if possible, and get stop-gap players to make due at positions of weakness. Even the Steelers, who build through the draft, had to go out and get some o-line vets off the garbage heap last season to be gap-fillers (Flozell Adams, Jonathon Scott).

The Dolphins ran a gimmick offense that produced a single season of winning. They also apparently were one player away from winning with Pennington (but it is proven that they are STILL rebuilding, because they quickly regressed). The Falcons went from Harrington to Ryan from 07-08, and from 7-9 to 4-12 from 06-07 after losing Vick and their coach. For what it's worth, there are many who think that the make or break for Buffalo this year is a hole at RT and QB. So in many people's eyes, it can be the difference of one player. But even if this is true, Buffalo had way more holes than a QB or RT at the beginning of the off-season, and two years ago the holes were all over the front office and coaching staff as well. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this. Our franchise isn't on a downward trend, it's been marinating in the mildew of the basement for years.

i am not sure of the evaluation process for offensive line so can only guess that Chan has quite alot to say about who we git on that side of the ball. This year we focused on defensive need against out biggest weakness, the run. Hopefully our biggest weakness is not The Run anymore. By what i gather so far we may well have made some reasonable or better progress and added depth.

next year we "build through the draft" and bulk on O line men.

But if they are not there in the early rounds we better loosen the purse strings and grab the best RG RT avilable.

I dont want them to be coaching and game planning around Our players next year.38 mill under cap? i hope we are saving it for some very special players next post season or two.

its too early to call for what the current guys can do as a team because they are competing with each other now. But right now i am hoping for servicable and Fitz gibbons lives another year!

You can't be serious.

Honestly?

You think a team that has a two year playoff drought has the same path to rebuilding as a team with an 11 year playoff drought? Really?

Especially considering it's been 11 years of rebuild, implode, rebuild, implode, rebuild, implode?

Especially when we've had ONE winning season over those 11 years?

You really think that it's even remotely comparable to missing the playoffs for two years then getting back on track?

Damn, bro.