1st Round Picks since 2000

Rubes

We certainly seem to have a problem picking good ones and/or holding on to them.

2000 Erik Flowers - BUST

2001 Nate Clements - GONE

2002 Mike Williams - BUST

2003 Willis McGahee - GONE

2004 Lee Evans - GONE

2004 J.P. Losman - BUST

2005 No 1st Round Pick

2006 Donte Whitner - GONE

2006 John McCargo - BUST

2007 Marshawn Lynch - GONE

2008 Leodis McKelvin - ???

2009a Aaron Maybin - BUST, SOON GONE

2009b Eric Wood

2010 C.J. Spiller

2011 Marcell Dareus

Ugh.

No reason, really. Just thought I'd brighten your day.

So why have the Bills been so bad: only one starter from the first round picks of the last eleven years (not including Dareus).

You don't build teams through Free Agent signings, you do it throug the draft . . . obviously something we have not done. Go no further than this list to explain the results of the last 10 years.

We certainly seem to have a problem picking good ones and/or holding on to them.

2000 Erik Flowers - BUST

2001 Nate Clements - GONE

2002 Mike Williams - BUST

2003 Willis McGahee - GONE

2004 Lee Evans - GONE

2004 J.P. Losman - BUST

2005 No 1st Round Pick

2006 Donte Whitner - GONE

2006 John McCargo - BUST

2007 Marshawn Lynch - GONE

2008 Leodis McKelvin - ???

2009a Aaron Maybin - BUST, SOON GONE

2009b Eric Wood

2010 C.J. Spiller

2011 Marcell Dareus

Ugh.

No reason, really. Just thought I'd brighten your day.

Frightening. And sad. That sums up exactly why this team has been awful for a decade and counting.

But it's a new season now. Anything can happen.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: I didn't realize it was possible to love and hate something so much at the same time :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: At least we can find those undrafted guys :devil:

Actually you do bring up an interesting point. Our scouts can't be that terrible; when it comes to the undrafted FAs we tend to do pretty good with them. If they can identify them, they should be able to identify draftable talent as well. Our decision makers have been pathetic. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many of our scouts have been replaced? I recall seeing we added some more but were some actually let go as well?

Actually you do bring up an interesting point. Our scouts can't be that terrible; when it comes to the undrafted FAs we tend to do pretty good with them. If they can identify them, they should be able to identify draftable talent as well. Our decision makers have been pathetic. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many of our scouts have been replaced? I recall seeing we added some more but were some actually let go as well?

I think I read somewhere that some were let go as well around the time Modrak was, but I can't be sure. I agree that the decision makers may really have been more the issue than the actual scouts. Just think about all those "inside" stories we read about how Witner was drafted because Dick really " needed" that safety to run his cover two, or how we drafted Maybin even though Modrak was pushing hard for matthews(or was it Cushing? Orackpo?) But got overruled in the draft room. Systemic flaws in the decision making process during those years. :wallbash: Hopefully Buddy takes Chan's opinion into account, but trusts what his scouts are telling him about players. Still too early to tell with last years class really getting kinda stunted with injuries and talent in front of them, but I kinda think the drafting has been better the last two years.

How many TBD posters could have done a better job with first round draft choices than the Bills over the past ten years using only draft guides?

Okay, fair enough. I'm no Kiper, but I'll play.

I would have picked Ngata. I was totally sold on Ngata. Whitner hit me like a brick in the mouth. Change that ONE pick, and this whole post falls apart.

The sad thing about this is anyone posting on this board could have done better if given the chance. Hell, you'd do better than this by just buying a draft magazine and picking who they say you should draft. Incompetence on this level seems almost deliberate.

Okay, fair enough. I'm no Kiper, but I'll play.

I would have picked Ngata. I was totally sold on Ngata. Whitner hit me like a brick in the mouth. Change that ONE pick, and this whole post falls apart.

I agree, our run defense sucked that year (and since). I thought for sure it was Ngata, he really fit a need too. FO too smart for itself that year.

Here are their 2nd rounders:

2000 - Travaris Tillman

2001 - Aaron Schobel

2002 - Josh Reed

2003 - Chris Kelsay

2005 - Roscoe Parrish

2007 - Paul Posluzny

2008 - James Hardy

2009 - Jairus Byrd

2009 - Andy Levitre

2010 - Torell Troup

2011 - Aaron Williams

If you take away the first round, the Bills aren't terrible drafters.

They just get so many good picks, because they are so bad year in and year out, and they manage to miss on them so often. It's a painful, painful cycle.

Edited by NaPolian8693

Here are their 2nd rounders:

2000 - Travaris Tillman

2001 - Aaron Schobel

2002 - Josh Reed

2003 - Chris Kelsay

2005 - Roscoe Parrish

2007 - Paul Posluzny

2008 - James Hardy

2009 - Jairus Byrd

2009 - Andy Levitre

2010 - Torell Troup

2011 - Aaron Williams

If you take away the first round, the Bills aren't terrible drafters.

They just get so many good picks, because they are so bad year in and year out, and they manage to miss on them so often. It's a painful, painful cycle.

Interesting summary it makes you wonder who has had the final decision in who first round draft choice will be?

Interesting summary it makes you wonder who has had the final decision in who first round draft choice will be?

Good point. The second rounders have been more successful than the first rounders (not that they're all fantastic, but still...).