Who steps into the #2

Estro

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see if Buster Davis can return to form after injuries derailed this 1st rd pick... He has run the 40 in 4.4 wish is plenty fast enough

Nelson has the best shot, Easley should be given plenty of opportunities, Roosevelt has a solid chance but more of slot WR,

I really don't think we are going To be in as terrible shape with Lee leaving. Lee is a 1 dimensional #2 WR, he was nothing more then a field stretcher....

Buster Davis was a first rounder also and has shown flashes when he hasn't been injured. If he can stay healthy, I like the skillset he brings to the table.

looks like Buster Davis is the reason Evans was cut loose

Buster is a Buddy guy who totally crapped the bed in SanDiego.

Now to make sure Buddy doesn't strike out twice with this turd, he gets rid of Evans to ensure Davis has a spot on the final roster.

if healthy, Davis may be able to spread the field, but he has never been on the field long enough to prove it.

just another step closer to Andrew Luck

It will be interesting to see if Buster Davis can return to form after injuries derailed this 1st rd pick... He has run the 40 in 4.4 wish is plenty fast enough

Nelson has the best shot, Easley should be given plenty of opportunities,.

what form? Craig "Buster" Davis has been a disappointment his entire NFL career. So if he returns to form he will be returning to disappointing people.

That's like saying "when Easely returns to form"

It's good to have hope.

I don't think we're in bad shape without Lee but if you bank on either of these guys.

I wouldn't be suprised if only 1 of the 2 made the roster.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Unfortunately for us fans it really is impossible to tell until we have more of a sense of what the offensive personality is and also what a number of the young players can do with a regular gig.

Right now based on talent we likely will run a system which makes greater use of Roscoe as the #2. Gailey has expressed a ton of confidence in him and though traditionally he has been the #3 WR in the slot, my GUESS is that the first cut at things are going to see him elevated to the full time starter role.

The problem is though by my fan judgment, he situation is:

2010 # 1 WR- Evans is a good player with special speed talent. However, very good is not good enough for the perenial Pro Bowl talent you want at #1. Evans was good but he could be shut down with an over and under dt. He simply did not command the ball so he was always good but not great. What many Bills partisans saw as a hole because they did not like Evans is simply a bigger hole with a 4th rounder in his place.

10- #2 Johnson proved to be an outstanding #2, but not so fast simply assuming or even hoping he can step up to #1. Part of the reason he did well at #2 is that yes Evans was not a great #1 because he could be shut down but the cost to shut him down was the dt which allowed Johnson to run wild. Yes Johnson was a GREAT #2, but it simply remains to be seen whether he proves to be even an adequate #1 working without having Evans around to demand DC attention to his speed threat. Ironically, Evans was not the #1 we wanted for the Bills but this is true because he could be shut down but only at the cost for the opposing DC of letting Stevie run wild.

10- #3 is perhaps the most relevant question for this move as my initial guess is that we will see Parrish be called upon to meet Gailey's belief in him and become a solid #2. This fan likes Roscoe a lot. To me he a proven and demonstrated open field running threat. This is flat out demonstrated and can be seen in his return work! He also has demonstrated to me a real fearlessness in that he has been willing to play the slot and risk the hits which come from working in across the middle of the field.

All this being said as a testimonial to Parrish' legs and his heart, unfortunately it is simply this fearlessness which has added up to a record of injury which makes it unlikely to me he will survive a whole season as your primary slot guy. On irony for me is that I think one reason that Parrish is going to be the go-to guy for us as the new #2 is that he actually will have a smaller injury risk on the outside as a #2 than as a slot guy at #3. I do not think though he will survive starting 16 as the #2 or that even if he does he will not be as productive as Johnson was.

10- #4- The great news is that there are a host of players led by David Nelson who had pretty good years in the reserve and then reserve again position of #4 WR for the Bills. Not only will D Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt get their fair shot at the #3 but the best talent among them might be Easley and his too oft injured self.

Overall, my direct answer to this question is that I think Parrish will be the #2 on the depth chart and will not only earn but deserve this role (until he likely gets hurt).

The irony MAY be that without the threat which actually can be met which makes Evans less than a classic #1 in WR production, we might end up seeing a downgrade in the position from Johnson moving to #1, a downgrade in #2 WR output from losing Johnson running wild with the threat weakened D, a downgrade at #3 as Parrish steps up to #2 and it is unclear which of the many possibilities the Bills have at WR will step up to produce at #3.

BBBlllaaahhh

than what is?

so he ran a 4.48 and a 4.54 at his pro day (accorsing to draftscout) but he is a 4.65 guy? okay buddy.

Sub 4.4 as in "less than a 4.4". :worthy:

Used in a sentence: The Bills just traded away there only receiver who could run a sub 4.4 40.

After thinking about the trade, I don't think it will hurt this team very much. Lee Basically did one thing well.....go deep. Yeah I know he stretched the field and opened up a lot of things underneath for everyone else but I think we still have decent speed at the position. Steve Johnson might not be the fastest but he does have deceptive speed and just finds ways to get behind DBs. And lets not forget Nelson, Jones and Roosevelt are all coming into year 2 and should all be more effective. Easley has good speed, hopefully he can stay healthy and step up. Not to mention, we still have Roscoe who was having a damn good year before he was hurt. I liked Lee and I'm not thrilled about the trade but I'm not super upset about it either.

Edited by Stl Bills

than what is?

so he ran a 4.48 and a 4.54 at his pro day (accorsing to draftscout) but he is a 4.65 guy? okay buddy.

None of this is really relevant, but:

03/18/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: Scouts from all 32 teams also saw a number of Gators workout on grass in a slight drizzle at Florida's pro day: Wide receiver David Nelson (6-5 1/4, 217) ran 4.63 and 4.57 in the 40, had a 38-inch vertical leap, a 10-4 broad jump, 4.13 short shuttle, 6.79 three-cone drill and did position drills. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/564166

Sub 4.4 as in "less than a 4.4". :worthy:

Used in a sentence: The Bills just traded away there only receiver who could run a sub 4.4 40.

Craig Davis is probably the fastest remaining with a 4.41 at the combine. Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Nelson. IF Easley comes on he may emerge later.

Honestly, Nelson looked like our best WR late last year - when they were winning.

Evans was dropping catchable balls and looking like he didn't care. Apparently that's all he learned from the T.O. experiment.

Evans hasn't been Evans (a real #1 threat) for at least two years.

He wasn't fighting for balls, and he isn't as fast as he was. He was never big, so w/o his best speed out of college, he really isn't a big deal.

Sorry - he seems like a good guy, but we didn't lose that much actual playmaking. I'm glad for him to have a chance to mentor younger players on a contender - that's how the Ravens media are describing the trade btw - noone down here (in Maryland) thinks he's going to dominate anything.

If he was the same player he was 2-4 years ago, it would be different, but I think Nix and Gailey could see that he wasn't.

Edited by BobChalmers

Evans wasn't really a NFL caliber #1 in my opinion, but he was the best we had.

Now we truly do not have a #1, but we have a handful of #2's.

And this is probably fine for this season anyway, unless you were expecting 9 or 10 wins this season of course.

SJ is a bonafied number 1 IMO. Just wait and see, I think regardless of the fact that he will command more attention from oposing defences he's going to have a big year.