Wildcat

When the Bills gave a $15 Million dollar contract to Brad Smith, I had mixed feelings about it. However so far in this short offseason Gailey has made clear that he intends to get his monies worth out of him.

Reports I am hearing from camp are that Smith has played just about everywhere, and that the Bills are spending a significant amount of time practicing the wildcat. This isn't really news, but it is starting to look like the Bills could be a real threat out of this formation. Not only are they running, but Brad Smith is throwing...Something the dolphins rarely did out of their wildcat formation.

Their offensive line still looks very weak, so this could take a lot of pressure off of them, and it could also get Spiller out in the open to use his speed.

Anyone have any thoughts on this from what they have seen in camp?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

When the Bills gave a $15 Million dollar contract to Brad Smith, I had mixed feelings about it. However so far in this short offseason Gailey has made clear that he intends to get his monies worth out of him.

Reports I am hearing from camp are that Smith has played just about everywhere, and that the Bills are spending a significant amount of time practicing the wildcat. This isn't really news, but it is starting to look like the Bills could be a real threat out of this formation. Not only are they running, but Brad Smith is throwing...Something the dolphins rarely did out of their wildcat formation.

Their offensive line still looks very weak, so this could take a lot of pressure off of them, and it could also get Spiller out in the open to use his speed.

Anyone have any thoughts on this from what they have seen in camp?

Didn't see any wildcat on Sunday. Also didn't see him returning kicks, which was actually his greatest value to the Jets. Saw him throw--looks rough--like a WR throwing on a gadget play. The Jets didn't have him throwing either. Has any team been a real threat out of the wildcat lately?

Didn't see any wildcat on Sunday. Also didn't see him returning kicks, which was actually his greatest value to the Jets. Saw him throw--looks rough--like a WR throwing on a gadget play. The Jets didn't have him throwing either. Has any team been a real threat out of the wildcat lately?

I wasn't there last night, so I can only comment on what I read...But I did see this.

"The offensive play of the night was a long completion out of the Wildcat formation from Brad Smith to Stevie Johnson, who made a fine leaping catch versus Drayton Florence."

I don't think Smith has much hope as a QB, but I am fine with him throwing out of the wildcat in mismatch situations.

As far as teams that had real threats out of the wildcat, I remember the Dolphins running all over us a few years ago...And I remember Brad Smith plays pissing me off when the Bills played the Jets last year so I checked those stats... 1st game 4 touches 52 yards 2nd game 5 touches 60 yards...If we get anything like that out of him that would be great.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I agree, the wildcat in general hasnt been a factor since the first season the phins used it and caught teams by surprise. Most teams try and be too cute with it (Eagles) and end up hurting themselves more then helping

Im sure it can still work and that we will see a lot of it this year but id rather they just line up and play. I like the signing of smith though, he can contribute at RB and WR and be the 3rd QB as well. The more playmakers on offense the better

I wasn't there last night, so I can only comment on what I read...But I did see this.

"The offensive play of the night was a long completion out of the Wildcat formation from Brad Smith to Stevie Johnson, who made a fine leaping catch versus Drayton Florence."

I don't think Smith has much hope as a QB, but I am fine with him throwing out of the wildcat in mismatch situations.

As far as teams that had real threats out of the wildcat, I remember the Dolphins running all over us a few years ago...And I remember Brad Smith plays pissing me off when the Bills played the Jets last year so I checked those stats... 1st game 4 touches 52 yards 2nd game 5 touches 60 yards...If we get anything like that out of him that would be great.

I get your point and I get WEO's point as well. The thing I decided to try was to separate the Smith acquisition with my general disappointment about the lack of attention to the OL. I don't want a gimmick guy to disguise our lousy OL, I want a good, solid OL.

But that said, Brad Smith is a weapon that I'm happy to have. Your breakdown of touches/yards is excellent and I too, would be pleased as Hell to see that kind of weekly production. So short story, I'm not going to take out on Smith, my disgust at our OL choices.

I hope there remains time to bring in at least one starter at OT and some quality depth. Watching Wang in practice makes me yearn for Cornell Green for Chrissakes.

There have been Wildcat formations at TC, but the majority of it will be installed when they go back to Buffalo. They're not going to show you what they're doing in sessions open to anyone.

And the Wildcat has had less success because teams haven't been able to throw from it. The Dols drafted Pat White for that reason, but he was a bust. We'll see if Brad Smith can do it and I've read reports of him throwing well.

And the Wildcat has had less success because teams haven't been able to throw from it. The Dols drafted Pat White for that reason, but he was a bust. We'll see if Brad Smith can do it and I've read reports of him throwing well.

Exactly. I was less than thrilled when the Bills kept trying to run it last year, mainly because they really didn't have the personnel for it. With smith (a former QB), and a guy that has already proven he can run the wild cat very effectively, I believe the Bills can use it as a successful weapon. Smith torched us last year, just with his feet.

Obviously coaching, and guys like Spiller will have contribute their parts, but on a team with O-line questions...This could help.

I also think the Bills will use Smith plenty at WR, meaning it could be hard for teams to change packages to counter that formation.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm happy that Brad is here, but somebody better teach him how to throw a spiral pass.

Yeah, my hope is that he would throw only when guys are wide open or generally mismatched. They have given him some reps as a pure QB, I think soley to get him some throwing practice. I don't think they seriously consider him a backup QB.

Exactly. I was less than thrilled when the Bills kept trying to run it last year, mainly because they really didn't have the personnel for it. With smith (a former QB), and a guy that has already proven he can run the wild cat very effectively, I believe the Bills can use it as a successful weapon. Smith torched us last year, just with his feet.

Obviously coaching, and guys like Spiller will have contribute their parts, but on a team with O-line questions...This could help.

I also think the Bills will use Smith plenty at WR, meaning it could be hard for teams to change packages to counter that formation.

What I think they'll do is have him play quite a few snaps, but starting in the backfield, and then motioning to the slot, or QB with Fitz going to the slot, taking a handoff, and maybe even lead-blocking. That way the defense has no idea what's coming.

This kid can play!! He will make contributions in on several special teams, wildcat w/true pass potential, depth at wr and 3rd qb. Everyone yells that we need a play maker well here he is. Other teams are going to go nuts trying to prepare for him in Chans system.

I'll be surprised if we run it much at all this year. Just doesn't seem to fit in with Coach Gailey's offensive philosophy. We did run it with Fred a few times in the first couple of games last year. took Fitz out and took it to them. Seemed to be somewhat successful (4 yards and a cloud of dust). But after that we never ran it again. Coaches are also real nervous about pulling their QB and having him "get out rhythm".

I'll be surprised if we run it much at all this year. Just doesn't seem to fit in with Coach Gailey's offensive philosophy. We did run it with Fred a few times in the first couple of games last year. took Fitz out and took it to them. Seemed to be somewhat successful (4 yards and a cloud of dust). But after that we never ran it again. Coaches are also real nervous about pulling their QB and having him "get out rhythm".

:blink:

Does Kordell "Slash" Stewart ring any bells?

There have been Wildcat formations at TC, but the majority of it will be installed when they go back to Buffalo. They're not going to show you what they're doing in sessions open to anyone.

Go see him throw.

Anyway this team neds tyo stick to a goal of improving on the fundamentals of offense, not thinking up cool running plays for Brad Smith. His value to the Jets came almost exclusively as a kick returner--that's where almost all of his "touches" came.

If Smith is behind center and Fitz is lined up in the slot, I think the opposing defense has a pretty good idea of what's coming, doc.