Do fans really believe we can compete above .500 in 2011?

At the start of the season everyone is 0-0. Anything can happen. That's why you watch the games, right? Let's put it another way. This is the one time of year you get to be an honest to God fan again. A real fan. Like back in the days before internet message boards turned fandom into some weird kind of pissing contest between fans of the same team.

It's the one time of year where you can have real hope and not be wrong. Hell, you shouldn't even worry about right and wrong. This time of year is about loving the team like you did when you were a kid. Before you knew about the business side of the sport. Before it became cooler to be "right" on a message board than it was to support your team. This is the time of year to forget about who we should have drafted or who we should have signed and embrace the team for who they are. Because in the end, that's all we got for this season. This is the time of year to love your team unabashedly and without exception.

Because this is the time of year the team is perfect. 0-0.

And if you are a pessimist by nature (and after the past decade, who could blame you) and assume the Bills are going to be miserable yet again, do everyone a favor and just keep quiet. Just for now. Just for this magical part of the season. Try tapping into your inner fan. It's there somewhere, lurking -- otherwise you wouldn't even be on this board. Allow yourself to billieve -- just for a little while. What's the harm in a little hope? After all, you know you'll only have to wait a few weeks into the season to see the Bills fall apart, right? Then you can start running your mouth about how you knew this would happen. You'll still have plenty of time to prove to the internet how smart you are and how dumb all the fans with hope are.

Until then ... try being a fan.

That's my hope at least. :pirate:

Amen.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that some are thinking 9 wins or more, potential wildcard etc. but these same people had the same outlook this time last year.

I personally don't see 8 wins this season, much less 9. And I am more than OK with that. After the pathetic first draft of the Nix era, I think this draft shows great promise. I fully expect the defense to be improved this season, and if "lights out" can stay on the field perhaps greatly improved. But the defense is still far from being a powerhouse, and the weaknesses in the offense are still there. Couple that with playing in the AFC East and that adds up to a sub .500 season in my opinion.

What I hope to see this season is a defense we do not have to be ashamed of and a team that looks like they have a plan for the future. Yeah maybe my goals are not lofty enough for some and maybe I am too used to the decade plus of suck. But then again, Rome was not built in a day either.

I don't have the same opinion, but that was eloquently put. As for myself I am a bit of a risk taker. I will go out on a limb if I believe something, knowing full well that I may fall flat on my face. This mentality comes from being a competitor, myself. You always reach for loftier goals and if it doesn't work out, you pick yourself up and try harder next time. So when someone asks me if the Bills are going win, the answer is always yes because the alternative is not an option.

The way that I look at it, if the players have that same belief, then there is nothing in this world big enough to stop them. Am I right? The answer to that is....I don't care. Doesn't have anything to do with being right. What matters is what you believe.

From all reports I have seen, no one on this team is laying down. No one on this team will give up and when you have that, you can win.

I purposely posted this prior to the pre-season and regular season. Looking at this roster on paper I still think we are in yet another rebuilding season. Fitz is still a question mark, the o-line is a question mark, D-Line (while greatly improved), LB's and our secondary is a question mark. Special teams last year were solid minus some Moorman struggles. I'm not really concerned about ST.

I just can't put on the rose colored glasses like I have in previous years thinking we are going to win 9 -10 games. Realistically, I see this as a 4-5 win season if we stay reasonable healthy. Looking at the depth (or lack there of) of this roster this season could get ugly if we have some serious injuries at any combination of these question mark positions.

I'm not a doom and gloom type guy but I still think we are a few more years out to get to 9 win seasons.

If there was anytime I want to be wrong is on this topic. :) Go Bills!

Of course they can. A few more years away from nine wins? In what world? They could have easily won nine games last year, with the bad offensive line, inconsistent QB play and bad run defense. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, KC and Miami in the opener were all games that could have been "W's". Returning players can get better. New players can make contributions. Energy on a team can morph into winning attitudes, Coaching can get better now that the coach has been with a majority of the players for a time and understands strengths and weaknesses.

Projections are meaningless. It only matters what happens when the games are played. We will see soon enough. I don't believe in giving up or relenting to assumptions. Straighten your back and keep your chin up. If the other teams are so much better than the Bills then let them prove it to you. Don't assume anything.

Edited by purple haze

I don't have the same opinion, but that was eloquently put. As for myself I am a bit of a risk taker. I will go out on a limb if I believe something, knowing full well that I may fall flat on my face. This mentality comes from being a competitor, myself. You always reach for loftier goals and if it doesn't work out, you pick yourself up and try harder next time. So when someone asks me if the Bills are going win, the answer is always yes because the alternative is not an option.

The way that I look at it, if the players have that same belief, then there is nothing in this world big enough to stop them. Am I right? The answer to that is....I don't care. Doesn't have anything to do with being right. What matters is what you believe.

From all reports I have seen, no one on this team is laying down. No one on this team will give up and when you have that, you can win.

I recognize the fact that I am generally not capable of being what you call a risk taker. My makeup makes me look logically (at least to me) at a situation and make what I believe to be an accurate assessment, without emotional bias. But that's what's great about sports in the US, people like us with very different outlooks enjoying the same team and having open discussions about it! :)

It's been many years since I lived in Buffalo. The city gets such a bad rap for being so bad, and people often wonder why. The people are great but damn they throw in the towel before a play ever takes place. This is the problem with the fans in western NY. You have to believe, and here's why:

1. The team almost went 7-9 last year, and should have. This year is greatly improved with the coach (stache) and the defense. Give Chan the Man another year with the guys and he knows now who is who and what is what. The team as a whole grew together and the core group is back together and they know each other now. With Wood at center, that brings a very tough demeanor and the line will be better this year as well.

2.With both lines being improved on both offense and defense, that will put the team in much better position to win more.

3. I would expect Chan to have a spread offense that will keep the offense on the field more and the team in better position to score more.

4. Lights Out and Marcel will let Williams be more free and the defense will put more pressure on oposing teams and cause more turn overs and give the Bills better field position.

5. Dave W. should not be underestimated. He will help the defensive out by giving the right advice on what to do with people and stunts. The teams defense will be at least midle of the pack as far as the NFL teams are concerned. This is a huge upgrade from last place last year.

This alone will give the Bills an edge to win more. For people to say only 5 wins is crazy. The Bills are better than the following hands down:

1. Miami

2. Oakland

3. Bengals

4. Skins

5. Titans

6. Denver

Throw in there a couple upsets and you have a minimum 8-8. I would be very surprised if they lose more than 9 games.

Of course they can. A few more years away from nine wins? In what world? They could have easily won nine games last year, with the bad offensive line, inconsistent QB play and bad run defense. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, KC and Miami in the opener were all games that could have been "W's". Returning players can get better. New players can make contributions. Energy on a team can morph into winning attitudes, Coaching can get better now that the coach has been with a majority of the players for a time and understands strengths and weaknesses.

Projections are meaningless. It only matters what happens when the games are played. We will see soon enough. I don't believe in giving up or relenting to assumptions. Straighten your back and keep your chin up. If the other teams are so much better than the Bills then let them prove it to you. Don't assume anything.

Good post. Then again, being pessimistic is the easier way out.

The great thing about the NFL is you usually have a 'fighting chance' every week. The level of talent from the best to worse on each team is not that far off. Think about it, In the NFL it comes down to coaching. Having the right player on the field in the right position to make the play.

-If the oline comes together and stays healthy

-If Fitz can cut down on the 'who was he throwing that too?' moments.

-If front 7 on D can apply preasure and cover TE and RBs.

Then yes, maybe for once in years we as fans are watching meaningful football in late December.

I disagree with your premise that a "fan" needs to profess blind faith that the team is great, going to make the playoffs/superbowl or whatever. You and others may choose to do so and that's your choice and of course are welcome to it. But others may enjoy candid discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of their favorite teams players, coaches, office, etc. In my opinion anyway, this does not make them any more or less of a fan of the team.

My hope is that everyone would recognize this and stop trying to tell others how to think, talk, or enjoy their favorite team. :beer:

Why dont you look up the meaning of fan, I Billieve we will make the playoffs

I disagree with your premise that a "fan" needs to profess blind faith that the team is great, going to make the playoffs/superbowl or whatever. You and others may choose to do so and that's your choice and of course are welcome to it. But others may enjoy candid discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of their favorite teams players, coaches, office, etc. In my opinion anyway, this does not make them any more or less of a fan of the team.

My hope is that everyone would recognize this and stop trying to tell others how to think, talk, or enjoy their favorite team. :beer:

Let them go. I see this every year - there's an element of radical optimist fans who believe you're not really a fan unless you predict playoffs this season (because, hey - THIS is our year). If you say you think the team is weak, the team sucks, the team can't compete you're labeled a heretic and people wonder why you bother to be a Bills fan. I love having my 35+ years of being a fan called into question by someone too young to even remember seeing Jim Kelly play. What's funny is that if you save a link to this thread and come back to it when the Bills go 2-6 over the first half of the season these same optimists are the most suicidal screaming and crying about how bad the team is and how they are never going to win - happens every year.

Does it matter??? I happen to Billieve every year the Bills have a chance to go to the Superbowl, and that's why I watch the game. I think Buffalo can make it to the Playoffs this year, and I would be disappointed if we didn't make it when Tom Brady's knee get's destroyed by Kyle Williams.

based on the schedule--and hoping everyone lives up to their potential--I say it's totally reasonable to expect a 9 win season this year. Of course, as we know, potential will not be lived up to, important people will be injured constantly, Fitz will throw an INT at the worst possible time etc etc etc.

I disagree with your premise that a "fan" needs to profess blind faith that the team is great, going to make the playoffs/superbowl or whatever. ...

That wasn't the premise of my post at all. If you read it closely, I'm not bashing people who are pessimists about the current state of the Bills. Heck, most people on here know I've sided more with that camp than the optimistic ones lately.

The point of the post is that it's pre-season. This is the time to forget about the negatives because there aren't any yet. Everyone is perfect. Everyone is 0-0. And, for better or worse, this is the team that the Bills will be sending onto the field every Sunday in 2011. There's a time to question draft picks, free agent signings, coaches, GMs, owners ... questioning those things does not make you any less of a fan. Not at all. Now is just not the time for that. It's time to take a brief respite from keeping it real and allow yourself to root for your team the way you did when you were 8. Passionately and without reservations.

What I'm suggesting is that there is a window at the start of every season where you can honestly embrace the team for what they are right this very moment. There's ALWAYS a team that comes out of nowhere and turns heads in the NFL. It happens every single year. To say that it won't be the Bills this year is fine -- it just seems like wasted energy at THIS point in the season. Why kick your own team for no reason when they haven't played a single down yet? It not only seems like a miserable way to go through life as a fan, but it's just silly. No one knows what's going to happen. No one knows who is going to break out or break down. So why not embrace the "fan" part of being a Bills fan and allow yourself to dream of a winning season, a playoff birth, or, dare I say it, a super bowl win?

What's the harm? It's August. There will be PLENTY of time for reality and "realism" come October, November and December.

Edited by tgreg99

Rememeber a couple years ago when we were 5-0 under DJ? ...Then we crash and burn. There are plenty of reasons to billieve that we can go beyond .500 and actually make the playoffs. Frankly I would be upset (as I am every year) that we don't finish above .500 and miss the playoffs. The only thing that really hurts us as a team is the lack of an offseason to get the young players into the system. Chan is calling plays again this year for a reason and our D is certainly bigger than last year. Losing Poz to many people was a big deal, but think about where he was making all his tackles (if you need help think on our side of the line of scrimmage not the offensive backfield). If the Bills start off the season hot or at least winning the CLOSE games instead of letting them go to OT then not closing, then we have a great shot to finish off the season in the hunt and making the playoffs.

For the realists out there, have some faith and hope the Bills start off hot and get things moving on the right foot this go around with CG at the helm. Let the preseason show what we have as a unit then start making your predictions. Remember every team is starting the season behind, if we can take advantage of the early games in the season while every team is playing catch up then we're in a good situation to keep rolling.

Let them go. I see this every year - there's an element of radical optimist fans who believe you're not really a fan unless you predict playoffs this season (because, hey - THIS is our year). If you say you think the team is weak, the team sucks, the team can't compete you're labeled a heretic and people wonder why you bother to be a Bills fan. I love having my 35+ years of being a fan called into question by someone too young to even remember seeing Jim Kelly play. What's funny is that if you save a link to this thread and come back to it when the Bills go 2-6 over the first half of the season these same optimists are the most suicidal screaming and crying about how bad the team is and how they are never going to win - happens every year.

I look forward to the year the 2-6 flips to 6-2 :)

Does it matter??? I happen to Billieve every year the Bills have a chance to go to the Superbowl, and that's why I watch the game. I think Buffalo can make it to the Playoffs this year, and I would be disappointed if we didn't make it when Tom Brady's knee get's destroyed by Kyle Williams.

You do paint a beautiful picture my friend.