Temper your expectations on Smith...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you a bit more than with Starry on this one.

Clabo was undrafted, and played for 4 teams before making the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement (for Jason Peters) at the age of 29.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the thought of him here and posted that desire back in February.

I LOVE Jon Runyan/Kevin Gogan type maulers who are mean, nasty, and physical.

Clabo is an outstanding run blocker.

However I'd heard that he's pretty average in pass pro and this is certainly believable because if you are a superior pass-blocking tackle, you usually end up on the left side.

It makes more sense that he's a classic push the pile right tackle but this is only my impression of him.

One thing is for certain, there was not much of a market for Clabo's services… although in fairness, the free agent market was pretty underwhelming this year (it was a buyers market).

It seems like only the Panthers' re-signings and Poz got overpaid. Just about everyone else went for what would have been below market value last year.

I'm looking back at Brad Smith highlights from his days against the Jets and I notice one thing. The Jet's offensive line is GOOD. The holes they opened for him were pretty mindblowing and gave him time to do whatever he wanted to do. If we're going to have that kinda success with him, then our offensive line better step up. If not, then this was another waste of a FA pickup.

How do I temper my expectations for nothing? LOL. He is a gadget player. He should provide some help here and there and hopefully one or two exciting plays a game as a QB, WR or KR. I think that's pretty realistic.

How do I temper my expectations for nothing? LOL. He is a gadget player. He should provide some help here and there and hopefully one or two exciting plays a game as a QB, WR or KR. I think that's pretty realistic.

Sad to say for us, that means a gain of 7 yds on 3rd and 6. Of course my expectations have been lowered to be happy with an additional first down or two a game...

Sad to say for us, that means a gain of 7 yds on 3rd and 6. Of course my expectations have been lowered to be happy with an additional first down or two a game...

Sometimes that's all you need. Even Jets fans will tell you that Smith helped them win a few games last year.

I'd gladly take a couple extra first downs a game. :)

Our offense was "fine" last year, imo. If we improve on offense a little, I definitely won't complain. Much more concerned about making stops and taking the ball away on defense.

As long as they transpire into points, or a change in field position, game momentum, etc. We have a habit of not making the plays that change games...

Edited by McD

Lol... yes guys I know a first down or two can be the difference... just as much as they might mean nothing. I say that as opposed to an actual scoring play or huge gain that can really change the face/pace of a game. A big return... huge catch and run... or, a scramble out of the pocket for 20+ YDS... The guy has the talent for it, I just hope to see it utilized...

Edited by McD

I think you might be over-valuing Clabo somewhat. Is he an average RT, yes, above-average, maybe not. He has had one solid pro bowl worthy year and the fact of the matter is that the Atlanta Falcons feel that they are on the brink of a Superbowl appearence and losing a piece of your offensive line when you feel you are that close to a championship could be devestating, especially with a RT free agent market as weak as 2011. Clabo was never going to sign here. Atlanta knew it, Clabo knew it, and alot of teams knew it. We threw our best offer out there, crossing our fingers that Clabo just might sign here. The Bills were nothing more than leverage.

And you know this how?

The Bills weren't leverage for Clabo. He wasn't looking to break the bank with Atlanta, obviously, given the reasonable contract he signed with them. But if they hadn't come up to that level, he'd have left.

I agree with you a bit more than with Starry on this one.

Clabo was undrafted, and played for 4 teams before making the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement (for Jason Peters) at the age of 29.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the thought of him here and posted that desire back in February.

I LOVE Jon Runyan/Kevin Gogan type maulers who are mean, nasty, and physical.

Clabo is an outstanding run blocker.

However I'd heard that he's pretty average in pass pro and this is certainly believable because if you are a superior pass-blocking tackle, you usually end up on the left side.

It makes more sense that he's a classic push the pile right tackle but this is only my impression of him.

One thing is for certain, there was not much of a market for Clabo's services… although in fairness, the free agent market was pretty underwhelming this year (it was a buyers market).

Not to beat a dead horse, especially since it is now academic, but Atlanta allowed only 27 sacks last year and that line has done a great job of protecting Ryan since he came into the league. Teamwise rated 5th in the league in pass pro. Clabo was rated in 2010 the 6th best RT in the league in pass blocking efficiency. And yes, he is a great run blocker.

Also doesn't matter that he was a UDFA or that early in his career he bounced around. Its where hes at today thats important. He has been their starting RT for three years now and has started every game since being named the starter. Durability is a cardinal virtue in this game. He is in his prime now and we should reasonably expect additional probowls.

Clabo was the real deal and the Bills best option in FA. Not even close.

I understand that Nix cannot fix every problem in one or two years. Fact remains that our O-line play is the one thing that is most likely to destroy our season.

We really have no proof that they didn't offer Clabo more or equal money. I'm sure that returning to the NFC's top seed in 2010 and sticking with a system he knew was a pretty easy sell.

Unless the Bills wanted to blow the Falcons out of the water - and for what, another 2, 3 million more than Atlanta would have paid? - I think it's far more likely Clabo was using the Bills for leverage. Even in overpaying you have to have some kind of budget, and I know that we laugh about how cheap Ralph is, but paying $7MM or more for a right tackle is a really bad precedent, especially for this team. I guess they could have looked at more frontloaded/guaranteed money, but it's a moot point right now.

Pay seven million a year. How much better would our offensive line be if we had Claibo. The Jets gave Santonio Holmes 10 million a year. The Steelers gave James Harrison 10 million a year. Were these teams worried about precedent? No THEY WANT TO COMPETE!

Only Bills fans worry about how much a player makes.

Pay seven million a year. How much better would our offensive line be if we had Claibo. The Jets gave Santonio Holmes 10 million a year. The Steelers gave James Harrison 10 million a year. Were these teams worried about precedent? No THEY WANT TO COMPETE!

Only Bills fans worry about how much a player makes.

Reports have the Bills actually offering Clabo $7M/year. And it came down to the Bills' offer and Atlanta's $5M/year offer. He chose $5M/year and to stay with the team that stuck with him all these years. What a concept!

I expect THE WORLD from Brad Smith. I expect him to play like a superstar if given the chance. Over the years though, I have come to expect litle from our front office and short-sighted coaching staff(s). Doesn't anyone realize this teams dire need for an electric offensive player? It was supposed to be spiller, but he's proved to be a work in progress. We had high hopes for Nelson, but he can't stay healthy. Neither Maybin or Poz really panned out on Defense. We invested in these guys with nothing up front. Now we're holding out on a kid with a substantial body of work. I say throw him right in there with Fitz and Pig-pen. Let the best man win. Give the fans somethin to be genuinely excited about. Why must this talented player suffer a slow, agonizing death by low expectations? -It's nonsense.

Edited by #34fan

He's going to be utilized a lot more than 1 or 2 plays a game at QB and WR.