The Lack of addressing the TE position

Not all teams have to utilize the TE position or is important in their offensive scheme. Get over it.

Another one not knowing the facts. Gailey had Tony Gonzalez, one of the greatest ever, in Kansas City.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are you going to do when Buffalo improves? Is there another pitiful team you will latch on to?

It just amazes me that people who are made so miserable by this team continue to wallow in their misery. If you are so upset, what is the reason you don't just GTFO?

Did i say model?

Your kool aid sunglasses for the Bills are strong...enjoy 5-11.

I'm willing to trust that Buddy and Chan have a far better idea of what they're doing and what they need right now than I do. How about you?

There have been too many questionable moves/decisions for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

He did so by making liberal use of.....his TE, Tony Gonzalez.

Lot of revision of history going on with "Chan doesn't use TE's". Without Gonzalez, there's likely no "Chan did magic with Thigpen" stuff endlessly being repeated here.

Chandler is tall. That's about it. He has been cut before game 1 on 2 different teams. He has caught one pass.

I am forced to agree here. I find it hard to believe Chan doesn't WANT to upgrade the TE position. Unless he see's something in one of these guys that we don't...can't imagine what that is though.

Edited by Van_phelaN1

He did so by making liberal use of.....his TE, Tony Gonzalez.

Lot of revision of history going on with "Chan doesn't use TE's". Without Gonzalez, there's likely no "Chan did magic with Thigpen" stuff endlessly being repeated here.

Chandler is tall. That's about it. He has been cut before game 1 on 2 different teams. He has caught one pass.

I never said Chan doesn't use TE's. I am making an assumption that if Chan asked for them to sign one, they would have gone out and done it, or at least scheduled some interviews. Maybe that's a bad assumption. I don't know.

Sure, Ill get over it as long as you get over the fact the Bills are the worst organization in the NFL.

So go find another team to root for or pick up a hobby?

We already have 5 TE's on the roster.. How many do we need? What's the point of a pass catching TE if they won't throw him the ball?

Dolphins and Redskins have Super Bowls and have the financial backing and will get it right sooner then the Bills will.

Ok the Bengals? We are tied for last! YES!!!...give yourself a pat on the back! :rolleyes:

Everyone is tied.. 0-0

I don't mind a coach not using TEs but you can't carry below average players and then say the reason you don't upgrade is because you don't use them, because the next question is if you don't use them then why do you have them wasting roster spots. One of the big problems with the Bills offense last year is they did so little with TE and FB that teams didn't even have to consider them in their game plans, if your TE and FB are not part of the offense or just there to block than you might as well just carry more OGs and OTs. I know they don't want to mess up there long range plans but the truth is the Bills are nowhere near bumping into the salary cap, they are tied with Detroit for the longest non-playoff streak and their owner is in his nineties how long range are they talking about.

I wish everyone would stop making excuses for this team. I love them, and have loved them as long as I have been able to intelligently watch a football game. However, to sit here and say that this front office has a commitment to winning is a joke. We have a commitment to selling tickets, and making as much money as possible WITHOUT PUTTING IT BACK INTO THE TEAM. The original poster was definitely correct in a few things he said. I mean seriously, the last 10 days watching every last team in the NFL scramble to improve themselves and we do virtually nothing. We replace our decent LB with another decent LB, and we add a WR which is our only depth on the entire team. Say what you want about Miami, Washington, Cincinnati, etc, but those teams at least TRY to compete. Those teams have at least made playoff runs in the past 10 years. Those teams have won their division or atleast come real close THIS DECADE. All of them have gone to the playoffs several times. To argue that we are the worst franchise in the NFL is borderline ignorant. Its clear as day. We have the longest playoff drought in the entire NFL. I still love them, and spend hundreds to thousands a year on merchandise, and tickets, etc, but really guys. This organization makes a mockery out of the die hard fans that pour our heart into this team.

In the beginning of F.A. I was annoyed that Buffalo didn't go out and get a RT, the one position I think - at least, I think one of, if not both, tackle positions will be our downfall this year, but they did, after all, make offers to guys. How much above real value would the Bills have to pay to make the decision to sign someone like Clabo a bad decision? Now, if the Bills merely didn't offer market value to these guys, Tackles and Linebackers included, then I'd go along with you and say the Front Office is too cheap to be competitive. But, I agree with not overpaying to a certain degree, on the basis that other players might expect it, too - which was the worst part about the Kelsay signing, I thought. If we're paying him that much, how can we expect to afford real stars?

As it is, I'll give Nix and Buddy another year or two - what choice do I have? Sign off on football altogether? I like the pieces Buddy has assembled so far. And, although we don't appear to have that great of a pass catching TE, we do seem to have a pretty speedy group of skill players, and a Rookie TE I forgot all about, the UDFA.

In the beginning of F.A. I was annoyed that Buffalo didn't go out and get a RT.

They went after the best FA RT available. When he declined, why sign someone if you don't think they are an upgrade? Just to look like your doing something?

PTR

Another one not knowing the facts. Gailey had Tony Gonzalez, one of the greatest ever, in Kansas City.

We don't need a Tony G, we just need someone who can run and pass block that can actually run a route every now in then.

I would of been happy with a Bo Scaife, he just signed with the Bengals for 1yr 1mil deal to be a backup for Gresham. This would of been a no brainer. Addition by subtraction sign Scaife release Martin they get paid the same. Its just that Scaife is a lot younger and more healthy nevermind a better player.

Sometimes I just can't understand some of the moves this front office makes.

Scaife was also a big reason why CJ got his 2k season. The man is a devestating run blocker. I really don't understand, we had an oppertunity this yr to add a fb like Leach or McClain there both much better than McIntre for a cheap price.

Didn't Buddy say if there is a better player out there that we would sign them. I mean these are cheap moves that instantly make your team better.

Think of all the teams that have been towards the upper echelon in the NFL over the past DECADE and in just about every scenario, the TE position was one that was a threat in the passing game.

Why oh why do the Buffalo Bills REFUSE to address this position, either via FA or the NFL Draft?

Granted, they did take Kevin Everett in one draft and it didn't work out unfortunately, an I know the Chan apologists will argue that the Tight End is not a focal point, but based on watching every other successful organization have legit threats and the TE position, does it ever dawn on ANYONE at OBD that this offense is NOT the way to go if you want to get to the top?

I have some optimism for the season regarding the draft picks sure...and could things turn around? Absolutely...but this team right now is SO incredibly irrelevant on the NFL circles on TV shows, radio shows, media, you name it...it is absolutely disgusting.

I guess the basic moral of the story is: My expectations for this franchise have widdled away for good, why expect if Ralph's cronies will not change their ways?

Look, that is a freeaking funny screen name!!! :D:lol::D:lol::D

We already have 5 TE's on the roster.. How many do we need?

One who can play?

Look, that is a freeaking funny screen name!!! :D:lol::D:lol::D

One who can play?

We have 5 that can play, none are injured right? So you've seen Chandler play? Nelson looked pretty good when he was actually playing the past couple of years..

Hey, lets add a TE that makes 5 mill a year and never throw him the ball!! That's probably exactly what would happen. This offense doesn't utilize the TE for much more than blocking.

My two cents..

Nitpicking? Umm its tough not to nitpick a 4-12 team. Our worst season in years. Yes that is quite a corner you moron. The glaring whole was made by letting our own free agent leave town. Obviously a 4-12 team has more than one glaring need. I think YOU should check your facts you POS. Also, a stellar wide receiving core??? HAHAHAHA LOL. Is this Mr Nix online?? If you had an ounce of class I would think you were from the Bills front office.

Making excuses? How about your f'ing nitpicking? You are laying past failures on Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey and the simple fact is that you know jack ****. How about a paragraph every now and then?

A f'ing blind man can see that in the last two seasons this team has begun turning a corner. No team has had more turnover. You build from within. When you have a glaring hole--you fill it in free agency. Ala Barnett. You want the latest and greatest shiny free agent? Not me--already lived through that hype bs with Donahoe.

I don't see any glaring holes from what I saw at the end of last season and what we acquired in the draft.

I think Chandler has enough upside for me at TE.

Check your facts before you start spewing mindless bs. The reason Thigpen did so well in 08? Was because all Gailey had to work with was Bowe and Gonzalez. There was nothing else. Bowe and Gonzalez were about even on the season. They had a healthy run game as well. It was hardly Gonzalez by himself.

We have a stellar WR core. Who needs a f'ing TE that cannot block?

Edited by coseybedaman

Making excuses? How about your f'ing nitpicking? You are laying past failures on Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey and the simple fact is that you know jack ****. How about a paragraph every now and then?

A f'ing blind man can see that in the last two seasons this team has begun turning a corner. No team has had more turnover. You build from within. When you have a glaring hole--you fill it in free agency. Ala Barnett. You want the latest and greatest shiny free agent? Not me--already lived through that hype bs with Donahoe.

I don't see any glaring holes from what I saw at the end of last season and what we acquired in the draft.

I think Chandler has enough upside for me at TE.

Check your facts before you start spewing mindless bs. The reason Thigpen did so well in 08? Was because all Gailey had to work with was Bowe and Gonzalez. There was nothing else. Bowe and Gonzalez were about even on the season. They had a healthy run game as well. It was hardly Gonzalez by himself.

We have a stellar WR core. Who needs a f'ing TE that cannot block?

Hmmmm, "where to start?" All the bolded stuff is pretty ripe...

You castigate a poster for laying past failures at the feet of Chan/Nix, yet you rule out future (and current) FA picks (other than for "glaring need") because of past failures.

Chandler has shown you enough at TE? Where? When? He's the least accomplished 4 year player in the NFL.--that's how you fill a hole?

Thigpen threw about 1000 yds to each of Gonzalez and Bowe. He also threw over 600 yards, 47 passes and 4 of his 18 TDs to Bradley/Darling. The Chiefs running game was mediocre at best--LJ had under 900 yards (he was out for 4 games) and the next leading rusher was Thigpen. That's not "healthy". They ran only just over 300 times, if you take away Thigpen's "runs"--compared to 541 pass attempts.

Prior to posting things like "you know jack ****" and "Check your facts before you start spewing mindless bs", you should just walk away from your Gateway, brother.

Edited by Mr. WEO

the offense we are running doesn't need an elite TE .I am sure they would find a use for what in one fell into their laps but as of now it is not a priority . Buddy spent two years rebuilding a defense built to play small and fast, and guess what he is just about there. He has a good stable of Wide outs and running backs. They seemed to stumbled on a solid if not spectatuclar quateback. If Hairston doesn't develop this year you can bet that they will continue to try to upgrade the line

I don't know, competition?

[/quo]

in order to be competition there has to be a good player to add, as PTR stated they went after the best available after that didnt work out they decided and rightfully that the rest of the available right tackles were not going to be usefull

true but when you look back at his other stops he has very little production from the position