Tyler Thigpens Contract

Welborn9

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills can't win. They identify a guy they want, have to pay a little more for him (Vikings wanted Thigpen) and fans still complain.

Yeah, is he overpriced? Sure. Does it really matter because we are still wayyyyy under the cap and won't come close to approaching said cap? No.

Gailey got the guy he wanted. Sometimes you have to pay a few more dollars... Also, I thought Fitzy was overpriced when he first arrived (3 mill a year) and making more than our starting QB at the time. Who knows, maybe Thigpen eventually wins the job (probably not happening due to the power of the Fitzbeardy).

Not mad at the player choice...just not sure about price tag. Oh well...whats done is done

For once I think the negative voice is in the minority. Thigpen THRIVED under Gailey's influence. He fits the new (and soon-to-be-modified) offense to a tee.

He is a vet and he was coveted and we got him for 1/3 the cost of a starter. Meanwhile, Fitzy plays behind a suspect line and almost certainly will miss a game or two. Thigpen was PERFECT for the role of backup. The third stringer (Smith) also can throw and will be "warm" since he will be playing in the games (WR,RB and occasional QB). Bills, IMO, have one of the better 3 QB situations in the entire league. We can survive TWO (2) QB injuries.

The Bills problems lie elsewhere - o-line, TE, and LB (injury risk is huge). Bills won't make the playoffs but they will win the games they should AND a few they shouldn't this year. 7-9, 8-8 or maybe even (gasp) 9-7.

As Kirk said before he died: "sounds like fun!"

-RnJ

For once I think the negative voice is in the minority. Thigpen THRIVED under Gailey's influence. He fits the new (and soon-to-be-modified) offense to a tee.

He is a vet and he was coveted and we got him for 1/3 the cost of a starter. Meanwhile, Fitzy plays behind a suspect line and almost certainly will miss a game or two. Thigpen was PERFECT for the role of backup. The third stringer (Smith) also can throw and will be "warm" since he will be playing in the games (WR,RB and occasional QB). Bills, IMO, have one of the better 3 QB situations in the entire league. We can survive TWO (2) QB injuries.

The Bills problems lie elsewhere - o-line, TE, and LB (injury risk is huge). Bills won't make the playoffs but they will win the games they should AND a few they shouldn't this year. 7-9, 8-8 or maybe even (gasp) 9-7.

-RnJ

When was the last time Smith played QB?

-RnJ

Just to add to your comments on Smith. Yes he was a college QB, but despite playing in the wildcat a lot, he has only attempted 7 passes since entering the NFL in 2006. His effectiveness as a passer as a 3rd string QB or out of the wildcat, is a question mark at this time.

Edited by LabattBlue

We're still well under cap. I'd be "pissed" if we had needs elsewhere AND were close to cap. But we aren't the latter... we wanted the guy, we went for him, and we got him. If we didn't get him, we'd all be pissed because "Ralph is cheap".

When was the last time you saw ANY team have offensive success when the 3rd QB was forced to enter the game?

In other words, the answer to your question is irrelevant. Smith certainly has the skill set to run the wildcat or a variation thereof, has been successful at it, and the rules change this season regarding #3 QBs puts the Bills in the rare position of actually being a step ahead of the rest of the league.

Getting back to the OP's original post, this is hardly "crazy" money for a backup QB.

We're still well under cap. I'd be "pissed" if we had needs elsewhere AND were close to cap. But we aren't the latter... we wanted the guy, we went for him, and we got him. If we didn't get him, we'd all be pissed because "Ralph is cheap".

Would you rather have Thigpen and Smith or Zach Miller and <insert some other backup QB). What difference does a backup QB mean this year anyways?

Edited by LabattBlue

Would you rather have Thigpen and Smith or Zach Miller and <insert some other backup QB). Have difference does a backup QB mean this year anyways?

I'm curious as to why the two choices are mutually exclusive. Is there a "Ralph cap" that I don't know about?

Brad Smith will be listed as the 3rd QB on game day.....

The owners and players have agreed to expand game day rosters from 45 to 46 active players. The No. 3 quarterback will no longer be an “emergency” inactive player.

In other words, a team can insert its third-string quarterback for a short period at any point in the game, then take him out and put the starter back in. Previously, the first and second quarterbacks couldn’t re-enter the game if the No. 3 quarterback played before the fourth quarter.

I'm curious as to why the two choices are mutually exclusive. Is there a "Ralph cap" that I don't know about?

Yes, I believe there is a Ralph cap, and if they aren't going to spend to the NFL cap, I'd like them to spend more wisely than 7-8 mil on a backup QB and a gadget player.

Just to add to your comments on Smith. Yes he was a college QB, but despite playing in the wildcat a lot, he has only attempted 7 passes since entering the NFL in 2006. His effectiveness as a passer as a 3rd string QB or out of the wildcat, is a question mark at this time.

It's possible, but I very much doubt that Chan Gailey thinks Brad Smith can play QB for a full game in this league. Maybe Gailey thinks in a couple years he could develop him but I would bet he doesn't even entertain the thought. Smith is a unique talent and hybrid player. He will throw this year out of the QB position, but he's not nearly ready to be a real full time QB. Probably doesn't have the skill set necessary.

I love the signing though, and can't wait to see him play for us, and what Gailey does with him. This should be fun, as well as productive. I think he's going to be one the fan favorites on this team as well as a valuable cog.

Yes, I believe there is a Ralph cap, and if they aren't going to spend to the NFL cap, I'd like them to spend more wisely than 7-8 mil on a backup QB and a gadget player.

Do you have information that suggested we actively chose Thigpen/Smith vs Miller? I hadn't heard that we pursued Miller or even had any interest in him. Also, can you give us the number for the "Ralph cap" so that we can accurately be enraged at the proper moment?

Do you have information that suggested we actively chose Thigpen/Smith vs Miller? I hadn't heard that we pursued Miller or even had any interest in him. Also, can you give us the number for the "Ralph cap" so that we can accurately be enraged at the proper moment?

The Thigpen/Smith vs. Miller is my suggestion, not something the Bills were pursing to my knowledge. As far as your second question goes, figure it out yourself smartass. <_<