For those that wanted Tebow...

I'm not sure anyone anointed Tebow anything. I remember most analysis hating the pick. His fans are his fans.

Tebow does have an inherent "winners" quality to him. Listen to his teammates at UF talk about him. Urban Meyer, who might is one of the greatest HCs in recent CFB history said that he was undoubtedly the greatest leader that he's ever been around. Pretty high praise from a guy like Urban.

The negative reaction was charged by the media's love affair with TT. Gary Danielson might be solely responsible for it actually.

I'd take him on the Bills in a heartbeat.

There's recognizing leadership (which Tebow has in spades) and then there's the irrational assumption that this leadership acts as a Midas Touch that can overcome any and all potential deficiencies.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

88 TDs to only 16 Ints, 66.4 comp% and 10k yards at UF. I assure you that he can throw the ball.

Whether or not he will be a good NFL QB is another question that will be answered with stability and a few years under his belt.

Plus, he can't be worse than Trent or JP. Plus he's way more likable.

He can't throw in the NFL, which is where he is playing now. Throwing in college is a completely different animal.

I like the guy. Think he was one of the best college players ever. Loved watching him play. He can't throw in the NFL. Has nothing to do with accuracy or arm strength or smarts or coaching.

There's recognizing leadership (which Tebow has in spades) and then there's the irrational assumption that this leadership acts as a Midas Touch that can overcome any and all potential deficiencies.

I never played with the guy and neither did you. What I can tell you are the things that his teammates have said about him and the inspiration he provided to the team in '08. Brandon Spikes said that Tebow was the reason he came back after his Jr year.

When a coach of Urban's stature gushes about his leadership capabilities you have to take note.

If Tebow doesn't make it at QB, he'll make it somewhere. Belichick likes him.

It's rare when you get Bill Belichick to talk to the press, but when asked "is it feasible to put him at other positions?", he replied:

”My sense of Tim Tebow is, if you asked him to play nose, he’d play nose (tackle). I think he’s that kind of kid. Whatever you ask him to do, he’d do,” Belichick said. ”I don’t know what a team would do with him, but I think he’s a real interesting player. He’s had a great career. It speaks for itself. Second leading passer in SEC history, whatever it is. He’s had tremendous production. They hardly ever lose.”

The next question: "What else do you like about him?"

”There’s a lot to like,” Belichick answered.

I never played with the guy and neither did you. What I can tell you are the things that his teammates have said about him and the inspiration he provided to the team in '08. Brandon Spikes said that Tebow was the reason he came back after his Jr year.

When a coach of Urban's stature gushes about his leadership capabilities you have to take note.

It's rare when you get Bill Belichick to talk to the press, but when asked "is it feasible to put him at other positions?", he replied:

"My sense of Tim Tebow is, if you asked him to play nose, he'd play nose (tackle). I think he's that kind of kid. Whatever you ask him to do, he'd do," Belichick said. "I don't know what a team would do with him, but I think he's a real interesting player. He's had a great career. It speaks for itself. Second leading passer in SEC history, whatever it is. He's had tremendous production. They hardly ever lose."

"There's a lot to like," Belichick answered.

That sounds to me like Belichick doesn't think he can play QB at all in the NFL. ;)

”My sense of Tim Tebow is, if you asked him to play nose, he’d play nose (tackle). I think he’s that kind of kid. Whatever you ask him to do, he’d do,” Belichick said. ”I don’t know what a team would do with him, but I think he’s a real interesting player. He’s had a great career. It speaks for itself. Second leading passer in SEC history, whatever it is. He’s had tremendous production. They hardly ever lose.”

”There’s a lot to like,” Belichick answered.

John, you're responding as if I'm trying to drag Tebow through the mud. I entered this thread to attempt answering your question regarding why it seemed like some people were rooting for the man to fail. I don't think I said anything particularly incendiary.

My opinion is that Tebow is an awesome guy who has to overcome some bad habits if he wants to succeed as an NFL quarterback. His beneficial personal qualities will help in this endeavour, but they guarantee nothing. That's all I'm saying, honestly.

It takes a couple of years for most QBs to develop. I'm not saying that he's going to be great but it's a bit early to be saying I told ya so.

Kelly, read my post from earlier in this thread. And quit harshing my tebow crush!

John, you're responding as if I'm trying to drag Tebow through the mud. I entered this thread to attempt answering your question regarding why it seemed like some people were rooting for the man to fail. I don't think I said anything particularly incendiary.

My opinion is that Tebow is an awesome guy who has to overcome some bad habits if he wants to succeed as an NFL quarterback. His beneficial personal qualities will help in this endeavour, but they guarantee nothing. That's all I'm saying, honestly.

I didn't think that you did. I just provided some quotes and feelings from the people who have been around him. :beer:

And I totally agree with your bolded statement. And I'm saying that he needs some time and coaching in the new system before anyone claims anything about the guy.

Kelly, read my post from earlier in this thread. And quit harshing my tebow crush!

I didn't think that you did. I just provided some quotes and feelings from the people who have been around him. :beer:

And I totally agree with your bolded statement. And I'm saying that he needs some time and coaching in the new system before anyone claims anything about the guy.

Ok, we are on the same page then. My mistake if I misread the tone of your last response.

I was responding to your post earlier in the thread. 95% of the QBs coming into the NFL (excluding the obvious UDFA scrubs) you have to wait a few years before you can say I told you so. Most of them have the tools, or most of the tools, the question is a matter of football intelligence, ability to perform under pressure, experience, adapting to the NFL speed, etc. Some of these guys get better and some of them can never do it. That's why it's too early to say I told you so. A very small number, you know before they get on the field, or you can see it after a game or a month. They have something lacking in their abilities that cannot be taught. It cannot be helped by experience. It cannot be learned.

Leinart and Tebow are examples of that. They have physical limitations that prevent them from ever being able to be good. It's very rare for a QB to completely change his throwing motion from the way Tebow passes. They always say they can or they have but when the pressure is on or they get in a game they do what they know how to do. And that's exactly what happened with Tebow last year. I watched him a few different games. He can't throw well enough to make it in the NFL.

Not that Merrill Hoge is the know all end all. In fact, often I think he is an idiot. But he sees the same thing I do (so in this case, he's a genius. ;) ) I'm not saying this is fact, it's one man's opinion who watches the games and tape, but...

Former Steelers and Bears fullback Merril Hoge watches a lot of all-22 game film in his role as an analyst on ESPN’s NFL Matchup, and after watching film of the Denver Broncos from last season, Hoge says he knows who their starting quarterback should be: Kyle Orton.

In fact, in a series of posts on Twitter this morning, Hoge said the idea that Tim Tebow should be a starter is absurd.

“Sitting watching tape of Bronco offense from last year!” Hoge wrote. “Orton or Tebow? It’s embarrassing to think the Broncos could win with Tebow!!”

Hoge’s tweets (which I’ve lightly edited for clarity) mocked the idea that just because Tebow was a Heisman Trophy-winning college star, that means he can hack it in the NFL.

“Orton or Tebow? QB play is not just about who works hard gives rah-rah college speeches or who is a good guy,” Hoge wrote. “Because Orton works hard and is a good guy as well. It’s about who can play!!”

When Tebow was a star at Florida, he was a great fit for the Gators’ spread offense, but he wasn’t asked to do the things an NFL quarterback does, and his throwing motion looked awkward. Hoge says that Tebow’s throwing motion hasn’t improved and his accuracy is a mess.

“I just watched Tebow throw five out routes to a wide open wide receiver,” Hoge wrote. “He was 1-for-5! Two went in dirt two in the stands! That throwing motion he changed? You can’t change who you are! Just watched two throws and he throws like he did in college!! College credentials do not transfer to NFL, rah-rah speeches do not work! You must possess a skill set to play! Tebow struggles with accuracy!”

In other words, Hoge thinks the Broncos will be much better off when “the Tebow thing” is behind them, and Orton is declared their starter.

Kinda early for Denver to look at either QB and make any judgements with such a short off season. We all know Orton can play well enough to win, but clearly he is not, nor will ever be that "franchise" QB that all teams need.

Tebow hasn't been able to train with the team at all in the off season so it could be expected he might have regressed in his throwing form to what he was in college. NBD from my view, he needs work as do all QB's that play in a college spread offense, from Cam Newton-Jake Locker et al.

Tebow still has tremendous potential if developed properly, like Mike Mayock stated he is a one to two year down the road QB to start. It would be extremely foolish for Denver to be looking to trade the kid at this point, JMO.

If Chan Gailey really wanted him, here is a chance to get him cheap.

Tebow was going to be a project.Everybody knew this including Denver.They gave him some trash games last year and they will contiue to coach him.

In the background however is John Elway who thought that the pick was a wasted use of a valuble pick which he would never have done.

If you have an ememy that big in the shadows,his time is limited.

Give the guy a little time to grow.... Look at Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers... One got tossed right into the mix and kept having to learn a diff. system.. the other got to sit behind a HOF QB and learn (the same system). One is SB winning MVP the other just signed a one year deal and will be lucky to start the whole year. It takes time. Its only his second year and now his second system.

Edited by billsfaninvgs

88 TDs to only 16 Ints, 66.4 comp% and 10k yards at UF. I assure you that he can throw the ball.

Whether or not he will be a good NFL QB is another question that will be answered with stability and a few years under his belt.

Plus, he can't be worse than Trent or JP. Plus he's way more likable.

The pilsbury doughboy had great stats at Pitt...-Couldn't get the ball there in the NFL.Poof arm.

Dinks and dunks can turn into a lot of completion % and yards in college in a great program.

He still may end up being a decent QB but his arm is pretty sad.

A very "drereed83" type post. Useless. Go away

He can't throw in the NFL, which is where he is playing now. Throwing in college is a completely different animal.

I like the guy. Think he was one of the best college players ever. Loved watching him play. He can't throw in the NFL. Has nothing to do with accuracy or arm strength or smarts or coaching.

I'm lost. The last 2 sentences, I'm not sure what the point is. So, even if he had good accuracy, or arm strength or better smarts or better coaching he'd still suck because he can't throw? Or you're saying he has all of those things, and still can throw? Or....what? I'm not even drunk, sorry, just don't get it

Trent Edwards fan last August to people like me who bashed him non-stop: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Me to those same people after two weeks of the REAL FOOTBALL SEASON when it MATTERS how you perform: :nana: :nana: :nana:

I always like to see something REAL before I commit to the na-na faces.

Who's Denver's Coach?

John Fox.

What is John Fox's reputation?

LOVES the veteran QB. Will ride the vet until he absolutely has to put the young guy in.

Who was the guy responsible for drafting Tebow?

Josh McDaniels.

Add up the pieces and Tebow didn't have a chance to be the starter. Fox is about as conservative as it gets when it comes to his QBs. That situation in Carolina last year was an absolute nightmare for the guy. Tebow just has to wait another year unless someone offers something for him.

I'm not riding the Tebow is a failure wagon, but you don't think it had something to do with him sucking and Orton playing well?

I'm lost. The last 2 sentences, I'm not sure what the point is. So, even if he had good accuracy, or arm strength or better smarts or better coaching he'd still suck because he can't throw? Or you're saying he has all of those things, and still can throw? Or....what? I'm not even drunk, sorry, just don't get it

I'm saying it doesnt matter if he has those things or not, he will never be a very good or great NFL quarterback because he cannot throw NFL quality passes often enough because of his throwing motion. Too many passes will be incomplete, batted down, or intercepted because he cannot get the ball to his receivers quick enough from the time he sees them open and the time the ball arrives, all due to his throwing motion. That's the criticism that scouts have on him.

as bills fans, we are the last people in the world who should criticize the draft picks of other teams.

i would take tebow's religious whirlybird off the end over maybin's impotent push any day of the week.

Right. We should be just like the Broncos. Trade back to round 1 for a QB who'll never start. They sure impressed everyone on draft day. A bold move by a franchise not afraid to win. Good thing most experts have short memories.

Just throw Tebow on the scrap heap with all the other wonderboys, all the "franchise QBs" we passed on like Clausen and Leinert.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Right. We should be just like the Broncos. Trade back to round 1 for a QB who'll never start. They sure impressed everyone on draft day. A bold move by a franchise not afraid to win. Good thing most experts have short memories.

Just throw Tebow on the scrap heap with all the other wonderboys, all the "franchise QBs" we passed on like Clausen and Leinert.

PTR

i made no such assertions. i don't care how impressive the experts find other teams are on draft day. i think, however, that i have a fairly accurate grasp on how the bills have drafted over the past decade given the results on the field. any objective observer would agree that they've been fairly unsuccessful.

my point remains the same: given our track record, we shouldn't be ripping any other team's draft picks.

and, as i said before, tebow certainly has more value than maybin at this point. maybe then we wouldn't be sifting through the scrap heap for "wonderboys" like thigpen.

good bring him here, broncos must be really dumb. They want to trade Orton and keep Tebow then when that doesn't happen they proclaim Orton is their guy frigggan idiots :wacko: Plus drafting Miller over Darues :lol: they must be gunning for that top pick to get Luck. Hopefully we can get him here regardless of position.