Boss Still Unsigned

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/08/boss-still-unsigned-so-giants-ink-patrick

Not that this necessarily matters, but it can be viewed as promising. Boss has stated that he wants to stay in New Jersey, but I am clinging to hope that Nix will make a big move at this player, who imo would be a perfect fit in Buffalo.

Sure would...He's a complete TE

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/08/boss-still-unsigned-so-giants-ink-patrick

Not that this necessarily matters, but it can be viewed as promising. Boss has stated that he wants to stay in New Jersey, but I am clinging to hope that Nix will make a big move at this player, who imo would be a perfect fit in Buffalo.

Fully agree. Boss + (at least one) OL will make this a very satisfactory off season and instill hope in my heart after many years. I wonder what the situation is - is he not interested in suitors or are the Bills not interested ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Fully agree. Boss + (at least one) OL will make this a very satisfactory off season and instill hope in my heart after many years. I wonder what the situation is - is he not interested in suitors or are the Bills not interested ?

Probably a little bit of both Chicago. The Bills use David Nelson in that tight end role making some nice plays over the moddle of the field last year. It looks like Chan is more comfortable out of a spread offense and doesn't utilize the TE position as much as MOST people (especially here) want him to. But his offense speaks for itself and always has. I for one am ok with it.

The thing is, if they don't really utilize the TE to make big plays, you end up keeping him in there to block on most plays. And to pay Boss the kind of money he not only wants, but deserves, just to block would be a waste of his talents.

The other thing as you also pointed out, is that he has to want to come here. He's said he wants to stay in NJ so he could be holding out for both the Jets or Giants at this point. Sounds to me when you make a statement like that then you will do whatever it takes to stay in your town. So he might not be talking to any team unless they offer him a huge amount more than the Giants have.

Or maybe there is something wrong with the guy. Don't forget this, not only did his team not want him enough to resign him, there 31 other teams out there that don't think he's worth the money either. But most of us will go the Jerry Sullivan route and just chalk it up to "Ralph is cheap" talk.

I think Nix is making all the right moves so far, I just wanna see how it all works out by the end of the season.

Adding a good TE really supports the offensive line. He can not only be used to block on running but also passing plays which covers up weaknesses on the line. Honestly, I think a good TE does more to improve an offense than a right tackle. Because of the tight end's versatility, he also helps to disguise plays. Don't say Chan doesn't use TE's. That argument is just bunk. We were so short on the position that we took a flyer on Chandler late in the season. This a definite area of weakness for this team. If Boss comes with a reasonable price tag we should be all over that.

The thing is, if they don't really utilize the TE to make big plays, you end up keeping him in there to block on most plays. And to pay Boss the kind of money he not only wants, but deserves, just to block would be a waste of his talents.

Or maybe there is something wrong with the guy. Don't forget this, not only did his team not want him enough to resign him, there 31 other teams out there that don't think he's worth the money either. But most of us will go the Jerry Sullivan route and just chalk it up to "Ralph is cheap" talk.

I think Nix is making all the right moves so far, I just wanna see how it all works out by the end of the season.

Good points. One thing I don't understand is how an O coach like Gailey cannot modify an offense to take advantage of a TE. Any weapon should theoretically add more dynamism to your offense. And given that our OL is not likely to hold blocks for too long, a receiver that can work in the short to medium range should be a very desirable option.

I am not entirely content with our TE production from last year but we can chalk it up to needing said TEs to stay back for blocking. Lets see what the FO does. At least their action from last week (pursuing Clabo) indicate that they are not happy with the state of our OL. As is said, the first step to solving a problem is accepting you have one.

Adding a good TE really supports the offensive line. He can not only be used to block on running but also passing plays which covers up weaknesses on the line. Honestly, I think a good TE does more to improve an offense than a right tackle. Because of the tight end's versatility, he also helps to disguise plays. Don't say Chan doesn't use TE's. That argument is just bunk. We were so short on the position that we took a flyer on Chandler late in the season. This a definite area of weakness for this team. If Boss comes with a reasonable price tag we should be all over that.

Or, overpay him a few million because this is such a drastic need. Guarantee twice what the Giants will, toss in some more money and our odds of getting him will dramatically increase.

We might already have a Kevin Boss on the team in Scott Chandler.

Boss is ok, but he's not a superstar, and he's got a different skill set from say Zach Miller.

Boss is a big target in the red zone, has taken a ton of big hits, and blocks well. He usually makes the catch when the ball is thrown to him. Much like Buffalo, however, the Giants offense really doesn't rely on the TE with Boss starting at the position.

Chandler is 6'7" and started out as a receiver at Iowa before being transitioned to a TE. He's sandwiched between Dallas Clark and Marv Cook in the rankings of best TEs at Iowa. I'm inclined to see what Chandler has if Zach Miller isn't a possibility.

Good points. One thing I don't understand is how an O coach like Gailey cannot modify an offense to take advantage of a TE. Any weapon should theoretically add more dynamism to your offense. And given that our OL is not likely to hold blocks for too long, a receiver that can work in the short to medium range should be a very desirable option.

I am not entirely content with our TE production from last year but we can chalk it up to needing said TEs to stay back for blocking. Lets see what the FO does. At least their action from last week (pursuing Clabo) indicate that they are not happy with the state of our OL. As is said, the first step to solving a problem is accepting you have one.

as far as Chan not being able to modify his offense to utilize a TE I think it's more of a point to what his offense is because he doesn't utilize one. I think of it this way. If you don't really utilize the TE as a potential recieving threat the. You are doing a disservice to them when you have one on the field as everyone knows your obviously going to run that play because you have a TE on the field. For years teams haven't used TEs in thier offenses. Look at the Oilers back in the day, I'm not sure they had one on thier roster. But they sure were a potent offense. 4 and 5 WR sets could be coming back full time with this team. Imagine a group like this on the field all at once.

Evans

Johnson

Parrish

Nelson

Spiller

and what if you took Fitz out for a okay and put Brad Smith in at QB. Who do you cover and with who? I'll take Nelson, Spiller, or Parrish one on one with any LB in the league on every play.

I still want Boss and Miller! :wallbash: and I agree with everything Rockington wrote above. The only way I will change my view is when 1. we get a dome or 2. the team leaves for a warmer climate (actually in that case I don't care). Marv's Bills used the 2 TE set with a pass happy team and Chan could do it too. Plus look at what NE* did with it, we SHOULD to copy success, IMHO.

Miller visited Seattle yesterday.

Miller is signed, sealed and delivered to Seattle. Five years ... $34million ...

He would have looked good in a Bills uniform but today the Bills' TE mystery may unfold as we find out what Mr. Chandler is bringing anything to the table. I am guessing that Gailey and Nix like Chandler's size, speed, and catching abilities for this offense but we will see.

If Nelson didn't have those migraines he might have developed into a quality TE but I don't think he'll chase those away ever.

Or, overpay him a few million because this is such a drastic need. Guarantee twice what the Giants will, toss in some more money and our odds of getting him will dramatically increase.

The Bills are not in any position right now to be overpaying for an above average tight end. Besides, aren't Bills players who are merely good but not "difference makers" or "game changers" run out of town around here?

And why exactly AREN'T the Bills in a position to be overpaying for an above average tight end? There is still some money to be spent, they need help there, and would have to overpay to land him.

The are basically the DEFINITION of being in a position to overpay a bit for an above average tight end.

Boss would be a nice addition.

Edited by NaPolian8693