Boss Still Unsigned

And why exactly AREN'T the Bills in a position to be overpaying for an above average tight end? There is still some money to be spent, they need help there, and would have to overpay to land him.

The are basically the DEFINITION of being in a position to overpay a bit for an above average tight end.

Boss would be a nice addition.

Because the Bills were 4-12 last year and not once did I think to myself while watching the games that one of the main things holding the Bills back was that they lacked a slightly above average tight end. They have no long term answers at LT, RT, QB, and OLB and until they do I don't want the Bills investing significant resources into the tight end position unless it's for an 80 catch, 1000 yard, 8+ TD sort of player.

Despite the vast majority of us wanting an elite TE, it seems that Chan's insistence that his Offense does not require one has us working with our current crop. Boss is a great blocking and catching threat and will be missed sorely by Eli if he leaves the G-men. It would be a massive surprise if he ended up on the Bills.

Because the Bills were 4-12 last year and not once did I think to myself while watching the games that one of the main things holding the Bills back was that they lacked a slightly above average tight end. They have no long term answers at LT, RT, QB, and OLB and until they do I don't want the Bills investing significant resources into the tight end position unless it's for an 80 catch, 1000 yard, 8+ TD sort of player.

It occurred to me when Fitzpatrick was threading in passes to Nelson that he may never be able to duplicate and throwing high risk incompletions downfield under pressure that a TE would probably be a good idea. I loved what Nelson accomplished last year, but with Parrish back and Evans and Johnson healthy Nelson may not be getting those snaps from the slot. The running game could really use an extra blocker in the form of a versatile TE and having one that can split the seam in cover 2 would really loosen the coverage outside of the hashes for Evans and Johnson. Not to mention provide a big, safe option for Fitzpatrick to dump the ball off to when Wilfork and Haynesworth are collapsing the pocket.

Yes, they have other needs but they have tons of money because they lack star talent and those other positions weren't stocked in free agency like TE was. There may never be a free agent period with as many good, proven and relatively young NFL TE's available. If ever, this was the year to take a chance.

Why aren't the Giants trying to re-sign Boss? Does he want $7M/year as well?

I believe the Giants are one of the teams very tight against the cap… they might be over it right now.

And that's the same reason the Raiders couldn't re-sign Zach Miller. They couldn't restructure contracts quickly enough and Miller got sick of waiting.

I have to agree with an earlier poster and think that if the Bills wanted Boss he likely would have been brought in for a visit by now. As much sense it would make to give Boss a killer offer or asked for him to visit by now.

Mystery solved:

Ralph Wilson quoted as saying he "didn't even know Springsteen played football, but understood The Boss still liked New Jersey and is a fine young man" - end quote.