Sully: Bills need OT

Scrappy

I largely agree with most of what you've written, except the premise. I'm sorry I just don't think the o line is that bad and I don't think they've failed to build it. They like Bell, Levitre and Wood are cornerstones, and I think Urbik is the front runner with Rinehart having an opportunity to unseat him, and there's a hole at RT that needs to obviously be filled within or a veteran brought it. But I think we are building the O-line.

Let's not forget Nix had to build both lines when he got here. I think the D-line is about to get real good, real soon. If the only thing we have left is Right Tackle and o-line depth. I'd say cheers to Ralph for letting Buddy get it done.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about that. If you want to "build through the draft," whatever that means, then fine, but that might mean that you won't always be able to take the BPA on your Board because doing so will leave too big a hole on your roster. In other words, I don't care if Spiller was higher on their Board than a starting-caliber right tackle. They really, really, really need a right tackle in order to WIN GAMES. If you're gonna build through the draft, please, Buddy, spend some high picks on tackles.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I largely agree with most of what you've written, except the premise. I'm sorry I just don't think the o line is that bad and I don't think they've failed to build it. They like Bell, Levitre and Wood are cornerstones, and I think Urbik is the front runner with Rinehart having an opportunity to unseat him, and there's a hole at RT that needs to obviously be filled within or a veteran brought it. But I think we are building the O-line.

Let's not forget Nix had to build both lines when he got here. I think the D-line is about to get real good, real soon. If the only thing we have left is Right Tackle and o-line depth. I'd say cheers to Ralph for letting Buddy get it done.

Wood has looked solid to me, Levitre decent. I am not sold on Bell, he has done "OK". As Bills fans, OK starts to look good, but in reality we should want VERY GOOD players, or at least better than just "OK". I think Gaither would be worth the risk, but other than that Captain Caveman makes a good point...there aren't a lot of great options at that position right now.

While we need to improve I would, I would only want to throw money at significant improvement. Not just more Dockery/Walkers...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I know some people real close to Jerry and have met him a few times and we talked football. I think it was at the Wellington Pub if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong I've been out of the Buffalo area for 16 years. Anyway, the crazy thing is he believes these crazy articles himself. He's not just writing this stuff trying to get a reaction not caring if it's negative or positive.

His conspiracy theory is getting harder and harder to believe. He actually wants me to believe that a 92 year old man is worried about 10 million dollars or so? Or that while he's clearly struggling to even get around these days, he musters up enough energy to tell Russ Brandon on a daily basis "don't you dare spend to that cap"? He actually wants me to believe that Nix and Gailey are doing their jobs to no avail and in vain because the owner will never let the team win?

It's simple folks, the teams that spend the most money on FA's don't translate into championships. That is a fact. The Bills went after the top two RT's in Colon and Clabo, they decided to re-sign with their division winning super bowl contending teams. Thats a fact. The Bills have been confirmed to have made an offer to Poz and some of the other top LB's in this years FA class. That is also a fact. Stop believing these crazy articles. Even if we gave Clabo 10% more and offered him 5 years 27.5 million he probably would have stayed. Well how much more over value do you want to pay conspiracy guys, 20% - 30% - more?

Nix has stood by his words plural. He is not going to overspend for FA's just to get them to come to Buffalo. Whether you agree with him or not he believes that leads to an eventual demise. He's going to build through the draft and sign free agents that don't mortgage the future or our ability to sign our own guys ie Stevie Johnson. He's in his second year at the helm and I for one believe he's doing all the right things. For those of you who still don't get it, we have to start over with him. Give this football man and the outstanding staff he's put together some time to build this team.

Nix wont overspend on free agents because he's committed to overspending on the bums we already have.JS is on the money as usual.Hold the Bills accountable.We need better decision makers.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about that. If you want to "build through the draft," whatever that means, then fine, but that might mean that you won't always be able to take the BPA on your Board because doing so will leave too big a hole on your roster. In other words, I don't care if Spiller was higher on their Board than a starting-caliber right tackle. They really, really, really need a right tackle in order to WIN GAMES. If you're gonna build through the draft, please, Buddy, spend some high picks on tackles.

I'd argue no team would draft a RT with the 9th pick overall. I think Bulaga went were he should have 23rd overall to a team that can play him at RT and see if he develops into a LT someday.

Would you feel any better if we drafted Bulaga and he got abused at LT for a couple years and moved him to RT? Would it make our fan base feel better we spent the 9th overall pick to do that? Man you can't drag yourself through hindsight, this team is moving forward in a positive way. Do you (and I'm not trying to be a smart butt), not see that in Nix and Co?

I'd argue no team would draft a RT with the 9th pick overall. I think Bulaga went were he should have 23rd overall to a team that can play him at RT and see if he develops into a LT someday.

Would you feel any better if we drafted Bulaga and he got abused at LT for a couple years and moved him to RT? Would it make our fan base feel better we spent the 9th overall pick to do that? Man you can't drag yourself through hindsight, this team is moving forward in a positive way. Do you (and I'm not trying to be a smart butt), not see that in Nix and Co?

+1

I strongly believe we need to improve the o-line(thats probably obvious to most)...However you can't simply pull talent out of the air. This was considered to be a very weak O-line draft, and I am glad the Bills didn't reach this year just because it was a need. There isn't a ton of O-line talent available in FA either (no more dockery/walkers!).

Last year? well we've already had those discussions...

Nix wont overspend on free agents because he's committed to overspending on the bums we already have.JS is on the money as usual.Hold the Bills accountable.We need better decision makers.

So which free agent did you want him to over-spend on ? And which of our own (besides Kelsay) do you think he has overpaid for ? Be specific please

Typical Sully (yawn). Probably felt the need to counterbalance DiCesare's column from the day before. Is he citing a source regarding Clabo or just assuming? Fact-checking seems to be something Jerry Sunshine is exempt

What if the teams overspend their caps? What teams get forced to cut players?

PTR

I thought DiCesare's column was very good as opposed to the typical stuff from Sully. It was a very level headed assessment...

Sully or no Sully we are hamstung by the people we have at tackle. We have to play the season in front of us, so I'd just as soon get a pro-bowler on his last year or two than the people we have. There will be fine tackles available in next year's draft so let's just go out and get someone who will be able to play the next 16 games.

Pretty cut and dry assessment by Sully with his trade mark bitterness. That being said, he's right. Nix has failed to address the Tackle position two drafts in a row until the 4th/5th rounds. "But there wasn't anybody there to take!" Not really, the Super Bowl Champion Packers have drafted OT's the last two years. The Steelers drafted a center in 2010 and again, were in the Super Bowl. The Eagles, Colts and Pats drafted Lineman in the 1st too.....playoff teams.

There were OT's out there in FA but Buddy thinks he's smarter than everyone else. Why overpay? Because the Bills are FREEKING desperate for pass protection that's why! Keep waiting for projects like Bell to turn into the next Jason Peters. Or Pears to be anything other than underwhelming. Maybe Urbick, a midesason Steelers casualty will make us better too...maybe, maybe , maybe...

Why not some sure things every once in a while instead of making every player a project? Buddy's famous "show me the baby" line is going to comeback to haunt him because his baby is U-G-L-Y!

as usual? Wow!

Sully's message gets lost in his smug/condescending delivery. But that's how he gets you to read his articles. If you take the essence of the article, his thesis is usually spot on and this one is no different. Ralph is cheap. The Bills failed to address the Oline AGAIN. Seriously, minus Sully's douchbaggery, where is he even close to being wrong?

Sully's message gets lost in his smug/condescending delivery. But that's how he gets you to read his articles. If you take the essence of the article, his thesis is usually spot on and this one is no different. Ralph is cheap. The Bills failed to address the Oline AGAIN. Seriously, minus Sully's douchbaggery, where is he even close to being wrong?

He's dead on accurate but this article to me was more about the OT's not being there versus the obvious. Anyone that can defend a guy calling the whole area poor when there are literally millions of hardworking people within reasonable driving distance is mind-boggling. Just because you don't make a fortune, doesn't mean you don't save a fortune.

The parts where he says:

The Bills were outbid for Clabo

The Bills should sign Flozell Adams

The Bills should sign Ryan Harris

So you think we should have offered 49$ Million for Derrick Dockery? Or maybe spend some big $ on Langston Walker.

Sullivan is a doosh, a hack, a never will be who is resentful he never got a job at a big paper like The Boston Globe. His articles only elicite a response based upon the negative things he puts out there which are based upon speculation, not fact.

He isnt a Bills fan at all, nor Sabres.

He is no better than an internet blogger spewing crap.

He doesnt know anything at One Bills Drive, because no one there will talk with him or offer him any insight.

Why? Because he is a hack, and they dont like him.

He has to make stuff up. He stuff doesnt include "facts"...They are just fluff pieces that are built to get people buzzing.

It works to an extent...His lame article was cited on ProFootball Talk...But then again-Florio is just some F@ck-ing lawywer

from West Virginia who started a website (and parlayed it into a big time thing for god knows what reason)....

The only thing Sullivan has is a press pass and a computer-no insight and a bad attitude.

WGR and The Buffalo News are soo bad....

Edited by BuffaloWest

RT is a big big concern for the Bills. I actually think that Bell will be a good player this season.

Bell, is Bell a good NFL LT at this moment no. BUT he is far from a bad one. In 2009 the guy was clueless and lost he turned in a terrible 8 game performance before getting a terrible leg injury that kept him out of commission. Then he comes back and plays a respectable NFL LT for 16 games coming off of bad injury and he didn't have a lot of experience in the NFL before then just the 8 games from 2009.

Now Bell in 2010 was about a average NFL LT BUT I see only room for improvement from Bell. He is further removed from an injury and he has added a full year of NFL starts under his belt (Considering that he didn't have much experience playing football not having played until college, playing time for him is extra important).

So you think we should have offered 49$ Million for Derrick Dockery? Or maybe spend some big $ on Langston Walker.

Overpaying for 1 mediocre playing once every few seasons does not make up for not even trying to sign the players that are actually GOOD (P.Williams, Peters, Clements, Winfield...). The Jets, Patriots, and Giants sign a few of these contracts every year. He is still cheap IMO.

How about letting guys that show any sign of talent walk out of the door, because they are too expensive.

I reiterate though, I like what the Bills have done so far this year and am not in anyway suggesting we throw more money at guys like Dockery. I think Wilson appears to be letting Nix do what he thinks is best. I think we had a good draft. We will still suck this year, but at least maybe we bottomed out?

I'm always torn on Sully. Mid-season Sully drives me nuts because, as anyone who writes extensively knows, its very easy to criticize. Its much harder to take a stand and write a coherent article that takes a different angle on a topic that has been beaten to death. But, at the same time, offseason Sully has solid points. People go back and forth over whether or not Wilson is cheap. Most say he is. Others cite the signings of Langston Walker, Derrick Dockery, London Fletcher to say that Wilson, will spend, but has no desire to see his money wasted time and again.

In this situation, I'm with Sully. We are going on 3 years running with sub par OT's. At some point, this needs to be addressed. Even if the Bills "aren't ready" to make that final push for a playoff spot (and thus open up the check book), you'd have to imagine that there can be no worse thing for a rebuilding team than a terrible offensive line.

That's entire different debate. If we do somehow get good enough to make the playoffs, is RW willing to make the commitments to bring in some touch-up talent to deepen the team?

How many years are you going to hang your hat on that? It's been 3 seasons now, so keep that in mind.