UFO Found on Ocean Floor?

CosmicBills

I'm with you. As much fun as I have with this thread and subject (and I have a lot of fun with it), the idea that advanced HUMAN civilizations predated what academics traditionally consider the starting point of human civilization is one I find pretty compelling. Even more compelling than the idea we were/are being visited by non terrestrial species if I were forced to pick a side (truth is I think it's likely a combination of both). There's plenty of legit, non "ancient alien" evidence and sites around the globe, not to mention legend and folk lore from ancient civilizations (particularly Egyptian), that this is precisely the case. Just how advanced this civilization (or civilizations) were, I have no idea though it's fun to speculate.

But it's not out of the realm of plausibility for me that the history of our species on this planet is a lot longer, and more accomplished, than we realize.

As much as I rag on the Ancient Aliens bullschitt, I do take the concept of older human civilizations seriously.

I also found your post (825) to be interesting as well. The speculation about a beakaway civilization, specifically. There are people out there who talk about secret space programs, leading to the ability of being able to do just that. Leave earth behind! Now that would be some story if true. There was a huge thread on another site (abovetopsecret.com) about just that. I dont suppose you have seen that thread, have you? It was pretty far out there.....

I haven't seen that specific thread (I don't go to that site all that often) but I've done a lot of my own research into the existence of those sorts of programs -- mainly for the fictional stuff I write. But a lot of research is quite compelling and well sourced, including Dolan's work which I find pretty solid. He's also a Rochester guy which is an added plus. I was close to getting a project off the ground for SyFy that dealt with this subject, still bummed it didn't go because we had a really cool (completely fictional) story that dealt with this premise.

The idea of a breakaway civilization is compelling if you're willing to buy into the notion that the military recovered downed craft in the '30s and '40s. Admittedly this is a big leap for most people, but even if you don't believe that actually happened it's easy to see how it could lead to a breakaway civilization if it had. If downed craft were retrieved at any point in the 20th century, the military/government's priority would be to learn (and weaponize) as much as they possibly could from the technology. Chances are the tech was so far advanced that it required a ton of brainpower to unravel even some of its secrets. The best and fastest way to research this kind of exotic tech (especially in the 50s onward in the US) would be to bring in private companies and exploit their resources and brainpower. That risks exposure however, after all the more people in the loop (even with compartmentalization) the greater the chance of a leak. One solution to this problem would be to split the research program down the middle -- a public face, namely NASA and then a much larger, better funded program that could be run outside of the eyes of the world and any governmental oversight.

Of course, this all would require a great deal of money, and money usually leaves a trail. In fact, the evidence that trillions of tax payer dollars has been siphoned off to fund something like these kinds of massive R&D programs is perhaps the most abundant type of evidence there is to be found. You can't find conclusive evidence as to where this money has gone -- just that a massive amount of money has been taken, with little to no oversight or understanding of where it's gone. The amounts we are talking about are more than enough to fund even the most grandiose secret space program over multiple decades.

*(edited because this paragraph somehow got erased) If you can imagine that scenario, then it's easy to imagine what would happen if these research programs actually had success in figuring out this exotic tech. Any breakthrough in propulsion alone would give this second space program the ability to not only go further into space than we might imagine, but also the capability to build colonies on nearby moons. Building colonies on nearby moons might sound crazy, but if they had the ability to get there (we already have the technology by NASA standards to make colonies possible today, they just don't have the budget) it'd be the safest place to manufacture, test, and operate any advance craft without risking it being seen by anyone outside the loop.

Again, it's a fun theory. Lots of avenues you can meander down and explore.

As much as I rag on the Ancient Aliens bullschitt, I do take the concept of older human civilizations seriously.

:beer: It's hard not to if you do even a rudimentary exploration of the topic.

Edited by GreggyT

For 4mer:

Edward Snowden: "We may never spot space aliens thanks to encryption."

“If you look at encrypted communication, if they are properly encrypted, there is no real way to tell that they are encrypted,” Snowden said. “You can’t distinguish a properly encrypted communication from random behaviour.”

Therefore, Snowden continued, as human and alien societies get more sophisticated and move from “open communications” to encrypted communication, the signals being broadcast will quickly stop looking like recognisable signals.

“So if you have an an alien civilization trying to listen for other civilizations,” he said, “or our civilization trying to listen for aliens, there’s only one small period in the development of their society when all their communication will be sent via the most primitive and most unprotected means.”

After that, Snowden said, alien messages would be so encrypted that it would render them unrecognisable, “indistinguishable to us from cosmic microwave background radiation”. In that case, humanity would not even realise it had received such communications.

http://www.gbot

For 4mer:

Edward Snowden: "We may never spot space aliens thanks to encryption."

http://www.gbot

Maybe that idiot can explain why all these billions of societies and their early primitive communications have netted a complete zero. It's their own stupid equation getting in the way. I won't even get into the stupidity of his grasping at straws encryption stuff. He should stick to stuff he is good at like treason.

Would you contact us if you were an advanced alien civilization?

Depends on numerous factors. But don't you think we would contact a post industrial age / early information age civilization if we were aware of their presence? There's a number of reasons why they wouldn't, but I can think of plenty of reasons why they would.

Depends on numerous factors. But don't you think we would contact a post industrial age / early information age civilization if we were aware of their presence? There's a number of reasons why they wouldn't, but I can think of plenty of reasons why they would.

beer, football, tinder. just to name a few