Aaron Maybin only weighs 228lbs

I just don't see it -- watched him on EVERY play he was in last year and not once did it appear he was even close to "getting it" -- looked awkward, out of place, no football instinct -- and maybe worst of all OVER MATCHED physically ---

He's told to add strength and he reports to camp SMALLER

Cut his a$$ -- let's end this nigthmare

He says he was sick before camp and that's why he lost weight. He's supposedly up 10 lbs or so now from his listed weight. Just saying...

Also, as I recall he did look good in preseason last year - against 3rd and 4th stringers. I might be getting prematurely senile, but I don't remember him ever looking good against anybody's starters. Let's hope for this year.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Maybin at practice last night too. I saw a guy getting blown up by Ed Wang and Mansfield Wrotto. I saw a guy who thinks making a play in piling onto a tackle that has been made by someone else. I saw a guy who has only one cheerleader (himself). I saw a guy who will be looking for work in about a month. Even if his salary is low and there is not much saving financially, the Bills would be crazy to keep him and release some other young OLB who actually has potential. Maybe just plain and simple is not worth a roster spot.

Let be play the devil's advocate. What, if anything, have we seen from guys like Batten or Coleman? Sure, they have potential. But have they shown more potential than Maybin has? And if we're making roster decisions based on potential alone, isn't the smart money on going with the guy who was the #11 pick in the draft?

He says he was sick before camp and that's why he lost weight. He's supposedly up 10 lbs or so now from his listed weight. Just saying...

Also, as I recall he did look good in preseason last year - against 3rd and 4th stringers. I might be getting prematurely senile, but I don't remember him ever looking good against anybody's starters. Let's hope for this year.

I call horsefeathers....if weight is solid muscle, it's hard to lose 10 lbs from an illness unless it's a tapeworm, if it's a tapeworm Maybin should see a doctor

Let be play the devil's advocate. What, if anything, have we seen from guys like Batten or Coleman? Sure, they have potential. But have they shown more potential than Maybin has? And if we're making roster decisions based on potential alone, isn't the smart money on going with the guy who was the #11 pick in the draft?

Mr Advocate, kindly advise your client "the Devil" that Batten was injured last year, Coleman is a 2nd round player, both were late round draft picks, and both appear to have shown up stronger and bigger.

Therefore their potential trajectory seems more promising than a guy who was #11 in the draft 3 years ago, shows up at his 3rd year camp looking like a wide receiver, and hasn't been able to crack the special teams roster.

So I think it's throwing smart money after wasted money, but it's just me - let's see what he does the rest of preseason

The only thing Maybin looked good at last year was his one trick speed rush. The difference this year, is that he seems to be getting it by being around the football on nearly every play. The thing is, that isn't going to be enough. He is going to have to continue to progress throughout the preseason just to make a roster spot. We have others on this team that have been looking good too. Maybin has his back to the wall right now. Lets hope he can come out of this looking like a man instead of spoiled kid.

I give him a bit of credit for not giving up and for putting up a fight with his 228lb frame. He's going to have to dig deep from here on out or be out of football and I think he knows it.

Maybin is a bust. If his weight is indeed 228 as his player page on ESPN is already reporting, then he is basically done. I think most followers of NFL football would know instinctively that 228 is significantly lighter then most OLB in the game, but let's look into it deeper and confirm.

Here is a table of last year's OLB sack leaders across the NFL, with their ESPN listed weights (hopefully this isn't too hard to read)

2010 OLB Sack leaders/Sacks/Rank/ Weight/ Height

DeMarcus Ware* / 15.5 / 1 / 262 / 6-4

Tamba Hali / 14.5 / 2 / 275 / 6-3

Cameron Wake* / 14 / 3 / 250 / 6-3

Clay Matthews*+ / 13.5 / 4 / 255 / 6-3

Shaun Phillips* / 11 / 13 / 250 / 6-3

Terrell Suggs* / 11 / 14 / 260 / 6-3

James Harrison* / 10.5 / 16 / 242 / 6-0

LaMarr Woodley / 10 / 20 / 265 / 6-2

Kamerion Wimbley / 9 / 23 / 255 / 6-3

Brian Orakpo / 8.5 / 26 / 255 / 6-4

The last one makes me weep like a little girl. :wallbash:

Overall we can see here that the average weight is just under 257, and not only that, but the grouping is pretty tight with 8 out of 10 falling between 250 and 265. Harrison is a bit of an outlier here at 242, but is also giving up about 3.5 inches of average height, so infact it seems more likely he is overcoming his lack of height for the position then the muscle/speed combination. Maybin is 6-4, so he is prototypical in that regard.

But yet Maybin reports to camp, where he is more likely to lose weight then gain it, already 30 pounds under the average weight of the best players at his position? Now there are certainly examples in sports of guys who defy conventions and overcome what seem like physical limitations like this (Spud Webb anyone?), but given how much Maybin has already struggled his first two seasons I'm pretty sure he is not gifted enough in other areas to overcome this new self-created limitation.

One other thing comes to mind about this as well. I can't help but feel that Maybin is just flat stupid. If he is really trying to make a go of this NFL career thing then why would he report to camp clearly so far from what is obviously the prototypical weight for his position? Can you imagine if a heavyweight boxer showed up for his weigh-in after training for 6 months 30 pounds under the heavy weight limit? Would you bet on him? Of course not! He would be laughed out of the room. So what in the world was going through this guys head in the off season while he was working out and losing all this weight? I can't even imagine. Combine that with the fact that he has been very slow to learn his new position, which isn't exactly rocket science, and personally I find it pretty clear that there isn't much going on above Maybin's shoulders.

It looks like we have a literal and figurative lightweight in Maybin and so I'm very skeptical that any report of his greatness from training camp will translate to anything in actual NFL games. Add in the fact that putting on 30 pounds in a manner that is safe and productive for an athlete could take more then a year and it seems to me that clearly Maybin is a bust, and if he makes the team is probably just taking up roster space. Again.

Not if he was woefully misdrafted as the #11 pick, no?

That would be very nice. However, I caution anyone against evaluating Maybin's play based on pre-season. I remember thinking highly of him in each of the last 2 pre-seasons, only to discover he was lost when the real games started.

I distinctly recall him blowing by Lions' LT Jeff Backus for a sack-fumble in his only pre-season start as a rookie, followed by him looking like the team's best pass rusher in 2 of their 4 pre-season games last year...well, we know how that turned out.

Not that it wouldn't be nice to see him make an impact Saturday; it would. I just think we'd learn more about his improvement if we could see him in practice on a daily basis than we will from watching him in the pre-season.

Just my 1 cent...

I think this year is going to be different for him. Pre season is going to be critical, because if he doesn't show a significant improvement he'll be cut for pre season is over

I call horsefeathers....if weight is solid muscle, it's hard to lose 10 lbs from an illness unless it's a tapeworm, if it's a tapeworm Maybin should see a doctor

Mr Advocate, kindly advise your client "the Devil" that Batten was injured last year, Coleman is a 2nd round player, both were late round draft picks, and both appear to have shown up stronger and bigger.

Therefore their potential trajectory seems more promising than a guy who was #11 in the draft 3 years ago, shows up at his 3rd year camp looking like a wide receiver, and hasn't been able to crack the special teams roster.

So I think it's throwing smart money after wasted money, but it's just me - let's see what he does the rest of preseason

Then let's see what he can do against some teams starters, not against guys who aren't going to be in the league after training camp. What difference does it make if he makes plays with 3rd & 4th srtingers playing? He has already proven he just can't play with the big boys.

I watched the video from last night and saw the clip of Maybin coming off the edge for a "sack" -- I don't know what to think about all of this. I guess it is good the preseason games are starting this weekend. I've accepted it as a foregone conclusion he'll be cut, but I've been wrong before...

Was he playing against the Bills' offensive tackles?

Maybin making plays

Over the course of the past couple of practices, Aaron Maybin has been more noticeable on the field. He’s been around the ball more and Wednesday night might have been his best practice of camp.

During 11-on-11 he had a quarterback pressure on Levi Brown that led to an incompletion. He had a ‘would be’ sack on Tyler Thigpen as he tagged the quarterback out before he completed a pass to Marcus Easley. And he had a quarterback pressure on Ryan Fitzpatrick forcing him to throw off his back foot, which led to Drayton Florence’s interception to close out practice.

Stringing together more days like Wednesday will do nothing but help his cause.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Practice-Notes---Day-10/b7849afb-bc23-4ac1-83ca-ded306afa7cd

I am very curious to see what Maybin does on Saturday. He is one of the young players who suddenly seems to be getting it. He is quietly stringing together good practices where he gets multiple QB pressures and would be sacks. If he can become a strong 3rd down/ Pass rush linebacker the linebacking core is suddenly becoming a strength on this team. Davis has looked solid, Merrimen looks very good, Kelsey has been good (I shuttered at the thought of saying that but its true..) Barnett is all over the field in practice and looks to be every bit the playmaker that Poz is. I think we might be on to something but I also think Maybin still might be able to shed the "BUST" status. I am curious to see how he performs on Saturday in "live" action. Thoughts anyone..

I believe he has one more corner to make and he'll be out the door. 2 more corners after that, he'll be on the freeway. 5 more corners he'll be sitting in a plane. One more corner and he will be out of Buffalo for good.