Aaron Maybin only weighs 228lbs

With all due respect, the Whitner pick was worse imo. Marv spurned numerous, generous trade down offers. He said so himself on Sirius.

Jauron was a horror show, but Marv was actually worse. He hired this moron and presided over the drafts.

You might be right about this.

One way to rate players is in terms of trade value. For example, Lynch netted the Bills just a fourth rounder plus change during the prime of his career, so you could safely say that 95% or more of the value of the 12th overall pick used on him had been lost. Obviously Maybin would net the Bills exactly zero in any kind of trade. But if Whitner was still under contract, it's hard to imagine other teams lining up to trade away first or second rounders for him either. At best you're looking at a third round pick for him, and that's probably a bit optimistic.

The Bills should have done one of three things with the pick used on Whitner: 1) Draft Jay Cutler, 2) Accept one of the generous trade offers you mentioned, 3) draft Ngata. Cutler turned out to be worth two first round draft picks, plus Kyle Orton, in a trade. Ngata is an excellent defensive lineman! Trading down would have allowed the Bills to take the best center in the league, Mangold. (Which they could have done anyway with the McCargo pick.)

My sense is that the 8th overall pick used on Whitner may have represented a much larger wasted opportunity than the 11th overall pick used on Maybin. If that's true, you could argue the Whitner pick was worse, even though he's clearly a better football player than Maybin.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin probably goes down as the worst pick in Bill's history ... not that there isn't room for argument but the guy may never see the field as an NFL starter.

Unfortunately, not even close. There's always Walt Patulski, and there are actually a few more that were worse; I'd nominate Terry Miller and CERTAINLY Mike Williams for that dubious award, too. (At least Tom Cousineau turned into the best QB we've seen in Buffalo, but that was a crappy pick, too.)

One positive about this wasted first round draft pick is that we haven't had to suffer through watching him play for 4 years until its realized he is a bust. He didn't make a play hear and there to give us hope he was straight to the point of being terrible.

Unfortunately, not even close. There's always Walt Patulski, and there are actually a few more that were worse; I'd nominate Terry Miller and CERTAINLY Mike Williams for that dubious award, too. (At least Tom Cousineau turned into the best QB we've seen in Buffalo, but that was a crappy pick, too.)

Patulski actually suited up and played. He hardly played like a 1st rounder but he got on the field and made some tackles. He was a far better pick than Maybin.

So was Terry Miller. Miller rushed for 1,000 yards his rookie season but then developed problems with his peripheral vision and was never productive again. Can't blame the FO office for that.

Even Erik Flowers - a truly miserable first round pick - cracked the starting lineup a few times.

It's hard to think of a Bills 1st round bust as completely catastrophic as Maybin.

With all due respect, the Whitner pick was worse imo. Marv spurned numerous, generous trade down offers. He said so himself on Sirius.

Jauron was a horror show, but Marv was actually worse. He hired this moron and presided over the drafts.

Haaaaaaaaaa no way dude!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I'm going to disagree with you if only because Whitner had been productive throughout his career at OSU, as opposed to the one-hit wonder that was Maybin.

As you are well aware, there were enough questionable decisions made by the Levy/Jauron regime to make our heads spin. You get worked up over the Whitner pick, but I remain incredulous that Jauron desperately reached for a skinny one year pass rusher. And then the SOB held out!

There is no way he will survive at his current position at that weight. I read articles from a few months ago saying he was 245 and wanted to be 255 for camp. I got this weight from from their website.

I was kind of hoping he would do something but at that weight there is no chance. He may have to be moved to safety or cut outright. Another high pick wasted.

let him cover kicks. about all he is good for. stupid bills. Whitner, Williams, Losman, Maybin.. no wonder we are at the bottom of the league. heck, no one even wants Whitner.. and he is one of the Bills top 10 players? says something about the bottom 40.

How did he play de in college with that frame? This whole maybin situation just baffles me.

He must know his situation isn't far from winning the lottery…

Best of luck to him in his next pursuit.

His college career was about 10 games. Looking at the contract he scored he already won the lottery, that is part of the problem.

let him cover kicks. about all he is good for. stupid bills. Whitner, Williams, Losman, Maybin.. no wonder we are at the bottom of the league. heck, no one even wants Whitner.. and he is one of the Bills top 10 players? says something about the bottom 40.

Let him cover kicks? He proved last year that he can't even do that.

Bill, I'm going to disagree with you if only because Whitner had been productive throughout his career at OSU, as opposed to the one-hit wonder that was Maybin.

As you are well aware, there were enough questionable decisions made by the Levy/Jauron regime to make our heads spin. You get worked up over the Whitner pick, but I remain incredulous that Jauron desperately reached for a skinny one year pass rusher. And then the SOB held out!

I think that you, Bill, and I agree that Whitner is a better football player than Maybin. But the Whitner pick could still be worse than the Maybin pick. To illustrate:

Scenario 1: a GM has to choose between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. He chooses Leaf.

Scenario 2: a GM has to choose between Trent Dilfer and Ryan Leaf. He chooses Leaf.

What Bill is saying is that Scenario 1 represents a much worse decision on the GM's part than Scenario 2. Bill isn't just looking at the quality of player the GM got. He's also looking at the quality of player the GM should have had. Picking Whitner 8th overall meant that we lost out on Cutler or Ngata. Arguably, that's significantly worse than the pain of losing out on whichever player we should have chosen with the Maybin pick.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I think that you, Bill, and I agree that Whitner is a better football player than Maybin. But the Whitner pick could still be worse than the Maybin pick. To illustrate:

Scenario 1: a GM has to choose between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. He chooses Leaf.

Scenario 2: a GM has to choose between Trent Dilfer and Ryan Leaf. He chooses Leaf.

What Bill is saying is that Scenario 1 represents a much worse decision on the GM's part than Scenario 2. Bill isn't just looking at the quality of player the GM got. He's also looking at the quality of player the GM should have had. Picking Whitner 8th overall meant that we lost out on Cutler or Ngata. Arguably, that's significantly worse than the pain of losing out on whichever player we should have chosen with the Maybin pick.

You make a good point but here is something to chew on.

Orakpo was on the board when the Bills came up. He had a better than average college career and was productive. I almost hit the ceiling was they drafted Maybin. They would be much futher ahead if they would have drafted Ngata instead of Whiter but the Rack would have helped the team just as much because he has proven to get pressure on the passer.

Does Maybin have a sack in a regular season game? That's what they drafted him for and it just didnt not work out because they fell for a kid who was a one year wonder.

The whole problem with your premise is that it's only useful in hind-site. Evaluating what the players have become long after the draft. There are too many other factors that come into play (luck, quality of team, internal drive, injuries, etc) to compare the past vs the future.

Maybin was a one hit wonder, who had most of his sacks against weak competition, has a small physical frame, etc. This is a much harder pick to justify than Donte's.

Your rational for saying Whitner was a worse pick because there were higher quality alternatives is like beraiting Michael Jordan's high-school coach for cutting him for some other schlub. This guy picked some loser over the single greatest basketball player ever. I say we set him on fire.

It just makes no sense.

It would be great if he could cover kicks or something (instead of taking up a roster spot) and not to rub salt, but McCargo was a big waste also.

Patulski actually suited up and played. He hardly played like a 1st rounder but he got on the field and made some tackles. He was a far better pick than Maybin.

So was Terry Miller. Miller rushed for 1,000 yards his rookie season but then developed problems with his peripheral vision and was never productive again. Can't blame the FO office for that.

Even Erik Flowers - a truly miserable first round pick - cracked the starting lineup a few times.

It's hard to think of a Bills 1st round bust as completely catastrophic as Maybin.

I agree with you, that the players listed by the previous poster were all-pro's when compared to Maybin. He is the biggest 1st round bust in the history of the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by LabattBlue