MIchael Jasper

Say, hypothetically, he goes to the practice squad. If another team wants to sign him, don't they have to put him on the 53 man roster?

Mike Jasper #69

I believe that is correct. I also believe the Bills have a first right of refusal, meaning they can match any offer from another team, and elevate him to their active roster. I believe he has to stay on either teams active roster for the rest of the year unless IRed.

I could honestly see Jasper playing this year though. Troup didn’t show me too much last year honestly. Jasper is much bigger and appears to be stronger and more athletic. I could see him topping Troup under the right circumstances. I cant want to see him myself. What # is he wearing? I may need to buy his jersey!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that is correct. I also believe the Bills have a first right of refusal, meaning they can match any offer from another team, and elevate him to their active roster. I believe he has to stay on either teams active roster for the rest of the year unless IRed.

I could honestly see Jasper playing this year though. Troup didn’t show me too much last year honestly. Jasper is much bigger and appears to be stronger and more athletic. I could see him topping Troup under the right circumstances. I cant want to see him myself. What # is he wearing? I may need to buy his jersey!

I didn't think there was a first-refusal right. Typically the practice squad team offers the same contract and it's often accepted (familiarity vs the new team's unknown interest). IIRC Brohm rejected Green Bay's offer when we signed him off of their practice squad.

Yup:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/293636-bills-sign-qb-brohm-from-packers-practice-squad

I doubt he supplants Troup in the near future. He's likely too raw. Jasper is #69

Good question. At one time in the not so distant past a 300lb O-lineman was unusual. Now it's basically the standard.

Good point.

Where are you guys getting 390 from? Last time I checked, he was around 370 or so.

He's listed at 394# in the training camp guide.

Did you see him in his signing interview? Looked really fit and had a great additude. Could be a great asset if used properly and led properly. I think he is a keeper and I wish him well.

Did you see his signing interview? He looked like a well conditioned beast. We should find a slot for him. he is a keeper.

Did you see him in his signing interview? Looked really fit and had a great additude. Could be a great asset if used properly and led properly. I think he is a keeper and I wish him well.

Did you see his signing interview? He looked like a well conditioned beast. We should find a slot for him. he is a keeper.

There are lots of examples of "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" guys in the world. He's an unusual athletic specimen, but he's got to be able to play football. We don't know if he can or not.

I hope so...

I didn't think there was a first-refusal right. Typically the practice squad team offers the same contract and it's often accepted (familiarity vs the new team's unknown interest). IIRC Brohm rejected Green Bay's offer when we signed him off of their practice squad.

Yup:

http://bleacherrepor...-practice-squad

I doubt he supplants Troup in the near future. He's likely too raw. Jasper is #69

What's the difference between the original team being able to offer the same contract (or more) once another team decides to make a contract offer for him, and "right of first refusal"? That sounds like right of first refusal to me. Otherwise, the other team would just be able to sign him off your PS and you wouldn't have a last chance to save him.

I think Jasper has a very legitimate chance to unseat Kevin Heard as the #3 NT on the team. He's highly unlikely to unseat Troup this year. His real competition will come from the last couple of DEs on the roster. If one of them shows a lot of promise, Jasper could go to the PS.

There is also the possibility of ST play. The first thing that Jason Peters did to get on the field was ST. He was a killer on the KO team. And he was in rushing the punter on the PR team. I read this morning that Jasper was on the KR team. They could also use him at goalline, and maybe even as a FB on short yardage. Right now, those seem long shots, but possibilities.

If I had to guess, I think they keep him on the roster but don't activate for the first few games until they see what they really have. But if he can perform on ST, we may see him sooner than later.

What's the difference between the original team being able to offer the same contract (or more) once another team decides to make a contract offer for him, and "right of first refusal"? That sounds like right of first refusal to me. Otherwise, the other team would just be able to sign him off your PS and you wouldn't have a last chance to save him.

I think Jasper has a very legitimate chance to unseat Kevin Heard as the #3 NT on the team. He's highly unlikely to unseat Troup this year. His real competition will come from the last couple of DEs on the roster. If one of them shows a lot of promise, Jasper could go to the PS.

There is also the possibility of ST play. The first thing that Jason Peters did to get on the field was ST. He was a killer on the KO team. And he was in rushing the punter on the PR team. I read this morning that Jasper was on the KR team. They could also use him at goalline, and maybe even as a FB on short yardage. Right now, those seem long shots, but possibilities.

If I had to guess, I think they keep him on the roster but don't activate for the first few games until they see what they really have. But if he can perform on ST, we may see him sooner than later.

My understanding of right-of-first-refusal would mean that the practice team holder _automatically_ gets first choice to pull up to the roster before any other suitors. That doesn't appear to be the case as Brohm chose to come to us over the offer of being promoted to the Green Bay roster. (as per article I linked to) So by being on the practice squad you're essentially still a full free agent with extended contract rights should you be signed off of it. All teams have EQUAL opportunity to sign off of a practice squad. (ROFR would be unequal).

100% agree with you on who Jasper's real competition is. Although I'd also add a linebacker in there too just because of competition for special teams. He's got a little bit of an advantage because KW can swing over to DE in case of rash of injuries so the extra NT gives us an 'extra' DE also.

I figured PS most likely for Mt Jasper, but early returns say he may have a shot to stick. Do we have full pads on yet?

Are we really hoping a 7th round rookie supplants a second year 2nd rounder? I hope he develops but if he leaps troupe even by the end of the year that is not a good thing. I would hope he can become a rotational depth player this year and of course a stud at some point (as I hope for every draft pick), however I haven't given up on troupe yet and hope others haven't either.

Definately an intriguing prospect tho... I can't wait to see this guy in person. I'm always amazed at the size of some of these guys that are still athletic!

Are we really hoping a 7th round rookie supplants a second year 2nd rounder? I hope he develops but if he leaps troupe even by the end of the year that is not a good thing. I would hope he can become a rotational depth player this year and of course a stud at some point (as I hope for every draft pick), however I haven't given up on troupe yet and hope others haven't either.

Definately an intriguing prospect tho... I can't wait to see this guy in person. I'm always amazed at the size of some of these guys that are still athletic!

Does it matter who steps up as long as someone steps up?

If the guy turns out to be a stud, who cares where he was drafted. I just want studs. (that didn't quite come out right)

Seriously, we all want outstanding players. How they get here makes no difference.

My understanding of right-of-first-refusal would mean that the practice team holder _automatically_ gets first choice to pull up to the roster before any other suitors. That doesn't appear to be the case as Brohm chose to come to us over the offer of being promoted to the Green Bay roster. (as per article I linked to) So by being on the practice squad you're essentially still a full free agent with extended contract rights should you be signed off of it. All teams have EQUAL opportunity to sign off of a practice squad. (ROFR would be unequal).

100% agree with you on who Jasper's real competition is. Although I'd also add a linebacker in there too just because of competition for special teams. He's got a little bit of an advantage because KW can swing over to DE in case of rash of injuries so the extra NT gives us an 'extra' DE also.

I figured PS most likely for Mt Jasper, but early returns say he may have a shot to stick. Do we have full pads on yet?

Good point on the difference of ROFR. That makes sense. You're right, the player has the option of which deal he wants to take.

Another point in Jasper's favor as far as roster spots go is the Bills probably can keep one less DE because Kelsay, for all intents and purposes, is a 3-4 OLB half the time, and a 4-3 DE the other half of the time. We'll see how he plays out, I seriously doubt whether Gailey or Nix have any idea right now whether he will make the active roster or not. He needs to play in games, even the rubber bullets of pre-season.

If the guy turns out to be a stud, who cares where he was drafted. I just want studs. (that didn't quite come out right)

Seriously, we all want outstanding players. How they get here makes no difference.

I agree.... about the second part haha. Just don't want troupe forgotten about. Haven't heard much in the tc wrap ups but the reports in the off season were that he was working hard trying to gain strength/mass. I hope they both end up being monsters and that k williams can play end... to many good players is a problem I wish the bills had.

The hype surrounding this kid is reminiscent of a guy we had at training camp back in 2009, Joel Bell. People kept talking this guy up so much, he almost became larger than life. Then I believe he was cut even before training camp started.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/88606-joel-bell/

Well, I guess we can all hope. Best of luck to Jasper.

Very rational post odds are very much against this kid

I am the founding member of the TBD Mike Jasper fan club Large and in Charge. I will accept applications at this point via PM, or bribes.

What is the membership fee and will you accept cash?

The same fans who liked Jabari Greer and Freddy Jackson like this guy.

Don't forget George Wilson.