the front 7

If Merriman and Barnett return to form the Bills defense might become one of the better ones in NFL. Run on us now, suckers.

PTR

I absolutely agree. There is a real trend lately towards dominant D-lines, or at least a move to emphasize those players - look how successful Minnesota was with the Williams wall, and Detroit just wrapped up the makings of a sick line, Buffalo with Williams and Dareus - two potential pro-bowlers (and I really like Carrington as an up and comer), and New England now with Haynsworth and Wilfork. Our Bills F.O., through the draft, mostly, has in two years put together a D-line that will be good for a long time. They also appear to have solidified and added depth to a secondary that wasn't bad - to the point where we have depth and very dependable players there, I think.

So, our D will really come down to the health of the vets (Barnett and Merriman) and the play of our second and 1st year guys at Linebacker. There are things to like about this defense, especially if Dareus is close to what Suh was last year, which will only make Williams numbers, not to mention everyone elses, that much better.

This all reminds me of when Terrell Owens signed, and everyone was counting the touchdowns, and saying how the Trent Edwards led offense was gonna be so hard to stop.

The Bills defense will be better, but I don't see them becoming "one of the better defenses". I think they might leap up to the middle third. They are accumulating some talent finally, and playing with a lead will help too (if the offense is better too, which I suspect it will be).

Our starting front 7 will be Dareus, Williams, Carrington, Merriman, Sheppard, Barnett, and Moats. You'll have Troup, Jasper, Edwards, Davis, Batten, Torbor, Kelsay, Coleman, and Maybin in the rotation. We should be better against the run for sure. In being better against the run on 1st and 2nd down hopefully the 3rd down conversion rate against us will drop significantly and our offense will see the field a lot more. One can only hope.

That is what I am hoping for also, get off the field on 3rd down and let Fitzbeard and the boys on O get more TOP.

Against the Cheifs Week one, They'll be up against a shuffled O-line because of Waters departure.

Plus, I think the Chiefs are bouncing back to earth big time this year.

I'm an optimist and Bills homer admittedly. But the thing that makes me so excited is they are building a great defensive front, which is how you win. Hopefully, they will add a piece to the oline (which has solid, young players already) and draft their QB of the future next year. And hopefully the mentality around WNY will start changing.

Everyone loves to list merriman and moats as our starting OLBs. wishful thinking in my book. I too, would be thrilled if that was the case, but I'd bet Kelsey will be lining up opposite merriman when the season starts. Sigh. Hopefully that won't last long

Everyone loves to list merriman and moats as our starting OLBs. wishful thinking in my book. I too, would be thrilled if that was the case, but I'd bet Kelsey will be lining up opposite merriman when the season starts. Sigh. Hopefully that won't last long

Maybe on obviously running downs but I think the Bilsl realized Kelsay isn't cut out to be out in space. As much as people hate him, Kelsay can be useful if he is used in 4-3 situations.

People fail to realize that even though there are two OLBs in a 3-4, they are two very different positions. Moats and Merriman play one of them, the pass rushing position. And Kelsay plays the other. Much more of a containment position. Same with the ILB in a 3-4. They are two very different positions. Barnett and Sheppard (and Torbor for that matter) all play one of them, the run to the ball carrier one. Andra Davis (and Chris White and Crowder if we still go after him) play the other one, the big thumper/take on the lead blocker position so the other guy can make.more tackles.

Moats, even on the outside, will not play along with Merriman unless he changes his game. Shep and Barnett are probably not going to be starting alongside each other, depending on how well Sheppard can shed blockers.

People fail to realize that even though there are two OLBs in a 3-4, they are two very different positions. Moats and Merriman play one of them, the pass rushing position. And Kelsay plays the other. Much more of a containment position. Same with the ILB in a 3-4. They are two very different positions. Barnett and Sheppard (and Torbor for that matter) all play one of them, the run to the ball carrier one. Andra Davis (and Chris White and Crowder if we still go after him) play the other one, the big thumper/take on the lead blocker position so the other guy can make.more tackles.

Moats, even on the outside, will not play along with Merriman unless he changes his game. Shep and Barnett are probably not going to be starting alongside each other, depending on how well Sheppard can shed blockers.

Hmmmm......Thanks....learned something today.

This can vary some but right on pretty much for a rough explanation. I think more noteworthy is it's the first post in FA to breakdown how a player fits in a scheme which is sad.

Edited by NoSaint

Jasper is a 7th rounder, there is more to NT than being huge. He'll be lucky to make the final 53. Williams is not built to play end, everyone knows this.

Just a note from reality.

I'll second this at the risk of being a Debbie Downer. Way too much talk of our defense becoming among the elite if x, y, and z all happen. We're putting a lot of stock in a 7th rounder's 1st NFL practice.

Jasper is a 7th rounder, there is more to NT than being huge. He'll be lucky to make the final 53. Williams is not built to play end, everyone knows this.

Just a note from reality.

doesn't matter what round he was drafted in because it's going to come down to how badly does he want to be an nfl football player. and this time last year everyone was telling us how kyle williams couldn't play nt because he wasn't built for it. mr. williams can play any position on the d-line because he is a football player, line him up and let him go. i will not be the one to say he CAN"T do anything.

The lbs will be the biggest ? this year. If Barnett and Merriman play to form, Shephard lives up to the billing, and Moats continues to progress we could have the most dominant D in the conference. However, if Merriman goes on IR week 3, Barnett is a shell of his former self, Shephard has growing pains, and Moats has a sophomore slump, well, it could be another long year.

"we could have the most dominant D in the conference"

how could anyone not agree that the D will improve from one of the worst 3 Ds in the league to a better unit than the Jets and Steelers :flirt:

doesn't matter what round he was drafted in because it's going to come down to how badly does he want to be an nfl football player. and this time last year everyone was telling us how kyle williams couldn't play nt because he wasn't built for it. mr. williams can play any position on the d-line because he is a football player, line him up and let him go. i will not be the one to say he CAN"T do anything.

Sure, I guess. But don't you want to utilize your players talents in the best possible way? Sorry, but he isn't a 3-4 DE.