Can we PLEEEEEEEASE Sign Todd Heap or Z. Miller

One thing I think some people fail to understand is that the 4 and 5 WR sets are our best formations RIGHT NOW. But you can't run that stuff too often in Dec and January. Gaily was OC in Pittsburg when they were a power running team, that's what he does, he puts the best formations out there with what he has. I would like to think a top TE would be a nice weapon to have during the winter months especially, but who know with this front office??? :blink:

Don't forget the Bills still have David Martin. When he was with Miami, he put up stats just slightly less than what Heap did last year. They're about the same age.

Zach Miller, at 25, would be a significant upgrade at the position.

Gailey doesn't have a scheme that makes TEs less significant than other teams. Gailey takes the players that he has and designs ways and plays and gameplans and playcalls that allow whatever players he has at his disposal to make the most of it. If he had a TE like Miller or Heap, that guy would be an integral part of this offense. Last year, he not only didn't have the talent at TE to be a big part of the offense, but far more importantly, he knew our OL sucked, so he basically made the TE stay in and block right off the snap and help out the RT or LT or RB.

In that respect, Boss may be a better player for this team than Miller, even though Miller is a far better receiver and overall a much better player. We have a lot of talent at WR and RB (and now Smith), and we still have some problems along the OL. Boss is a better blocker than Miller, but can still catch. he would really upgrade this team. I just don't think he would want to come here because of all the various weapons we have. It's possible, but I doubt we make a serious run at him.

One thing I think some people fail to understand is that the 4 and 5 WR sets are our best formations RIGHT NOW. But you can't run that stuff too often in Dec and January. Gaily was OC in Pittsburg when they were a power running team, that's what he does, he puts the best formations out there with what he has. I would like to think a top TE would be a nice weapon to have during the winter months especially, but who know with this front office??? :blink:

This is another reason I think, in addition to a TE, it would be wise to bring in a bruiser like McClain at RB for short yardage power plays. FJ is a great all around back, but at 6'1" 215 it's hard for him to knock a lb on his ass.

Edited by Rob's House

Gailey doesn't have a scheme that makes TEs less significant than other teams. Gailey takes the players that he has and designs ways and plays and gameplans and playcalls that allow whatever players he has at his disposal to make the most of it. If he had a TE like Miller or Heap, that guy would be an integral part of this offense. Last year, he not only didn't have the talent at TE to be a big part of the offense, but far more importantly, he knew our OL sucked, so he basically made the TE stay in and block right off the snap and help out the RT or LT or RB.

In that respect, Boss may be a better player for this team than Miller, even though Miller is a far better receiver and overall a much better player. We have a lot of talent at WR and RB (and now Smith), and we still have some problems along the OL. Boss is a better blocker than Miller, but can still catch. he would really upgrade this team. I just don't think he would want to come here because of all the various weapons we have. It's possible, but I doubt we make a serious run at him.

Good post. Anyone that was around for the Electric Company will remember the TE was Paul Seymour, who was really a 3rd tackle.

They should offer him a truck load of money. He would make the team stronger the second he walks on the field.

I even think Boss can be had by the Bills. The G-men have a bit of a cap situation and there is a reason why he hasn't signed with the Giants. I think Boss is getting somewhat low balled by the Giants and he wants more then they are offering.

The Bills have a nice cap situation and why not go after him with a 6+ million dollar a year offer? He is a very versatile tight end that can be a security blanket over the middle (I don't care what you say about Gaily's offense that's always a good thing) and is a very good blocker both in the pass game and run game.

I have not seen enough of Miller to know if he is a "much better player," but I have seen a lot of Boss and agree that he would be a fantastic player for the Bills. In fact, when talking to R.Rich just before free agency I told him that Boss was probably a better fit for the Bills than any other free agent out there.

As you noted, we have problems on the OL, specifically OT. Boss would be a HUGE help to these players. And while he doesn't put up big numbers in terms of receptions, I am telling you having watched him play that Boss is a very clutch player.

He seems to want to stay with the Giants, but this is a situation where I think he could be had with a much bigger offer than the Giants seem to be making (after all, he is still unsigned). I do mean MUCH bigger, and they can guarantee half of it. Guaranteed money might be our best lure to bring players into Buffalo.

Fingers crossed!

What the hell is going on with Miller and Boss? Isn't it odd we've heard essentially nothing since FA started? I suppose the Raiders and Giants are trying to keep them and they're stuck in negotiations, but are there really no other suitors?

Very strange.

Cardinals signed Todd Heap. So we would be between miller and boss for a big name at TE. I think the position is important and long overdue on this team, at the same time we have so many good wr's on this team I think our offense is going to be set up around a lot of play action and deep passes to our wr's. A nice change from some past teams we have watched.

I even think Boss can be had by the Bills. The G-men have a bit of a cap situation and there is a reason why he hasn't signed with the Giants. I think Boss is getting somewhat low balled by the Giants and he wants more then they are offering.

The Bills have a nice cap situation and why not go after him with a 6+ million dollar a year offer? He is a very versatile tight end that can be a security blanket over the middle (I don't care what you say about Gaily's offense that's always a good thing) and is a very good blocker both in the pass game and run game.

$6 million/year!!! Would that make him the highest paid player at that position?

$6 million/year!!! Would that make him the highest paid player at that position?

It is certainly possible, but many players (Clements comes to mind) cash in for more than they are "worth" by waiting to become UFAs. There is a huge risk factor in doing so, whereas in injury could wipe out theur career.

In our case, the need for this player is strongly marked. He would diversify the offense, and help both the running and passing games. He would also add size up front. If they offer him him for 30 mil./6 years and guarantee at lest half, me might bite. Who knows?

What I do firmly believe is that he could win us a game or 2, and the cap space is sitting right there.

I like Boss, but it's easy to say give him 6 million a year when it's not your money. He just isn't worth that kind of money.