When was the last time the team that "won" in free agency...

Other than filling the cauffers with bodies like the Bills are doing, I am not sure why everyne is all excited about this free agency, (other than perhaps the need to talk living football after all this time). Seriously, the teams that "win" in free agency (according to the pundants at least) seldom win on the field. You need the key pieces in place for Free Agency to work its magic...and I am pretty happy with the direciton of Nix here - back up QB, resign a needed DB and pursue a Tackle...now lets see about that role playing TE we so desparately need here...

Other than filling the cauffers with bodies like the Bills are doing, I am not sure why everyne is all excited about this free agency, (other than perhaps the need to talk living football after all this time). Seriously, the teams that "win" in free agency (according to the pundants at least) seldom win on the field. You need the key pieces in place for Free Agency to work its magic...and I am pretty happy with the direciton of Nix here - back up QB, resign a needed DB and pursue a Tackle...now lets see about that role playing TE we so desparately need here...

How about a TE that's NOT just a "role player"--how about one that's a "playmaker"? We've got a roster full of "role players".

How about a TE that's NOT just a "role player"--how about one that's a "playmaker"? We've got a roster full of "role players".

TE is not a position of emphasis in Gailey's offense. This is why the position has not been pursued in the draft nor through FA.

I'm not holding my breath for any of the big issues being handled via free agency. This team simply does not offer enough money to the players that matter, and they almost always sign elsewhere. Other than Takeo Spikes, who can you name that the team signed that we wrestled away from the other team? Please don't say T.O. because nobody really wanted him other than us.

let me preface this by saying, getting players from other teams, not retaining them...

Edited by McKinleys Curse

The Patriots are favorites to win the Super Bowl virtually every year and are always very active in free agency. The Jets have been to two straight AFC title games and are very active in free agency. The Saints obtained Drew Brees via free agency and became immediate contenders then won a Super Bowl. This years champion Packers added possibly their best defensive player Charles Woodson via free agency. Philadelphia is constantly adding free agents and is constantly in the hunt. The list goes on and on. The real question is what team DOES NOT use free agency in any positive way. Your answer?? Da Bills! Yes the draft is very important, but there is not a winning team out there that does not use BOTH avenues to build a winning team. Tyler Thigpen and Trevor Harris are not my idea of building a winner.

Edited by coseybedaman

The Jets have quite a few FA's they were in the last couple AFC Championship games. The Saints had alot of FA's when they won the Super Bowl. You could name successful teams all day that signed FA's, but the truth is, a team has to use all avenues of signing key players to be a winning team. You can't build with just the draft like Buddy said they are going to-that is just an excuse to not spend money.

How did the Saints get Drew Brees ?? That's right, he was a Free Agent that led them to a Superbowl win.

Brees had a shoulder injury. He didn't exactly come with a big neon sign guaranteeing a SB win. Saints got lucky.

PTR

Oh I don't know. It has taken the Jets pretty much to the AFC Championship the last two years. God, that would totally suck. Those damn NFL playoffs, who would want those?

Considering that Salary cap wise the Bills are in a top five position.

the quality and quantity of free agents this year (best it's been in years)

and the quality of talent on the Bills at present (below average)

I assert anything less than 4 starters (counting Drayton) coming from this free agency would show that we have a less than average front office.

I assert anything less than 4 starters (counting Drayton) coming from this free agency would show that we have a less than average front office.

Exactly. This has nothing to do with Free Agency and winning a Superbowl. If, as Nix says, the Bills are always looking for ways to get this football roster better, and the Bills have a ton of cash, he should be using Free Agency. Because, on a losing team, there is a ton of help out there to make this roster better. If they were genuine, they would upgrade the competition on this roster with free agents that are better than our 53rd guy on this team. They aren't. Doesn't mean we'll win the superbowl, it just means we'll be better. We will better the roster.

It's a joke.

When was the last time the Bills had a threat at TE? Had a legit Pass Rusher? Had a solid LT?

Ya gotta try somewhere if they're not on the roster and free agency seems like a logical option.

When was the last time the Bills had a threat at TE? Had a legit Pass Rusher? Had a solid LT?

Ya gotta try somewhere if they're not on the roster and free agency seems like a logical option.

And as long as you have a ton of cash, and there are free agents out there that are better than your last guy projected to make the roster, you should try to better yourself.

Not the case in Buffalo though. That's the difference between us and NE and NY.

2001-02 Detroit Red Wings

Since only one team wins a championship each year, in each league, the real question to ask is simple:

When was the last time a team "got better" with free agency???

Answer: It happens to multiple teams every year, in every sport. Period. End of story.

TE is not a position of emphasis in Gailey's offense. This is why the position has not been pursued in the draft nor through FA.

It's not?

Tony Gonzalez 2008 Kansas City 16 96 1,058 10

I know it might be unfair since he is one of the greatest Tight Ends to ever live but that appears to me like a TE was the biggest part of Chans offense.