Poz signs with Jax, 6 years $7.5M/year reported

I really want to see if any SOLID evidence comes out that the Bills tried to match. I dont see a huge reason why Jacksonville is much more attractive to play in than Buffalo. Especially when you are already an established captain of the defense, and obviously in the team's plans. If it was Pittsburgh, New England, New York, or a winning franchise like that I would see the logic. I just find it hard to believe that the Bills offered Poz 42 million dollars. I will agree thats pricey for him, but if 3 other teams were willing to pay it then its tough to argue.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from his agent (typo corrected since ProFootballWeekly has no decent editors):

"I have so much respect for the Buffalo organization," Posluszny's agent, Mike McCartney, told the
Buffalo News
. "They did everything the could to keep him. … But he felt more comfortable in a 4-3 defense. He felt he came into the league playing the Mike in the 4-3. I want to emphasize how much respect I have for Jim Overdorf and the Bills. It was a tough decision."

Bills were out of luck in this case since he wanted to go back to 4-3 defense which he felt more comfort in and probably felt he would have better career in.

Not sure how much of a complaint can be made if they matched the offer and he still walked.

I guess beating the offer might be a novel approach? Seriously though, is Poz worth this kind of dough?

Nix is saying they are not going to be big player in free agency. What happens when the Bills do not meet the minimum salary threshold?

Reports are that the Bills matched the offer. So Nix should have offered MORE than the 6yr/$42m Poz got from the Jags? Sounds like Nix didn't fail to keep him, Poz simply failed to stay.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, because when you suck, and have no respect as an organization, you are going to have to overpay a bit to keep some guys until you earn back some credibility.

Regardless of what Posluzny said was his reasoning for leaving today, he apparently chose Jacksonville over Buffalo and that says a lot.

Buffalo is the joke of the league for coaches to come here. For players to come here unless they are trying to shed major baggage. For players to stay here. Period.

Poz wasn't an all pro player, but he was solid. And we lost a solid player, whom we apparently liked, to another craptastic organization like Jax.......great. Just great.

"I have so much respect for the Buffalo organization," McCartney said. "They did everything they could to try to sign him. But he felt more comfortable in a 4-3 defense. I want to emphasize how much respect I have for Jim Overdorf (Bills senior vice president of football administration) and the Bills. It was a tough decision."

I guess beating the offer might be a novel approach? Seriously though, is Poz worth this kind of dough?

Right, at some point you have to have a line in the sand on how much you're willing to pay the guy.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I disagree. I think there are many, many good players on this team. 4 wins last year is what usually happens when you have new systems on both sides AND personnel that doesn't match those systems. Considering the number of games that came down to a few points, we should all feel pretty hopeful that this GM, this coach, and these players can surprise a lot of people this season, even though we've been handed the toughest schedule YET AGAIN.

And I don't think you pay decent linebackers 7 million per season. Especially decent linebackers who have only stayed healthy for 1 full season and who has been very vocal about wanting to play in a 43. Nix tried to re-sign him so anyone trying to vent stupid fan anger toward Nix or anyone else in the front office is reacting emotionally and not rationally. Be smart. Posluszny didn't want to play in a 34D, period. He had choices, and made one. Get over it.

"He was merely good" says it all. There isnt a whole lot of "GOOD" players on this team. That is why we are notoriously "BAD". When you do have a "GOOD" player you keep him. A team full of "good" players makes a good team. The team has no commitment to winning, yet certain fans make excuses for every boneheaded move that this team makes. Every single move we make is centered around the almighty dollar. Keep saving money on players, and keep raising those ticket prices. Its working great.

Edited by nodnarb

Yes I live in the Tampa area and was listening to Bucs offensive lineman Davin Joseph due an interview on the radio. The DJ poked at him and made him name one team that would have to give him the most ridiculous offer in NFL history to play there. He said Buffalo first, and Oakland second. This says a lot about how the players around the league view our organization. We are viewed as a bad weather, cheap, losing team. Not too attractive to your average free agent. However, you do what you have to do to keep a nucleus of a team together for a few years, start winning some games, and things change real quickly. We neglect to do that as well.

Yes, because when you suck, and have no respect as an organization, you are going to have to overpay a bit to keep some guys until you earn back some credibility.

Regardless of what Posluzny said was his reasoning for leaving today, he apparently chose Jacksonville over Buffalo and that says a lot.

Buffalo is the joke of the league for coaches to come here. For players to come here unless they are trying to shed major baggage. For players to stay here. Period.

Poz wasn't an all pro player, but he was solid. And we lost a solid player, whom we apparently liked, to another craptastic organization like Jax.......great. Just great.

C'mon. I understand that some are upset but what, exactly, is the limit for overpaying? Is it $1.00 more? A million or two?

This sounds like it had less to do with money than scheme. Poz wasn't going to stay in a 34 for more money.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm shocked to say this, but Merriman put it best on Twitter:

"Paul Posluszny was a damn good player & could have used him but this is a business people move forward"

And then there's this:

"We lost Poz to the Jags. It's time to give a call to your boys in SD (Cooper, Siler and Burnett) and get them to Buffalo."

Amen on both accounts...

Yes I live in the Tampa area and was listening to Bucs offensive lineman Davin Joseph due an interview on the radio. The DJ poked at him and made him name one team that would have to give him the most ridiculous offer in NFL history to play there. He said Buffalo first, and Oakland second. This says a lot about how the players around the league view our organization. We are viewed as a bad weather, cheap, losing team. Not too attractive to your average free agent. However, you do what you have to do to keep a nucleus of a team together for a few years, start winning some games, and things change real quickly. We neglect to do that as well.

Winning changes everything.

"Paul Posluszny was a damn good player & could have used him but this is a business people move forward"

And then there's this:

"We lost Poz to the Jags. It's time to give a call to your boys in SD (Cooper, Siler and Burnett) and get them to Buffalo."

Amen on both accounts...

The Bills are a failing business in need of a TARP money and/or government takeover.

"Many many" good players on this team?? Now this might be the comment of the whole thread. I have to hear this. I consider a good player someone who would start for a playoff caliber team. My list comes to Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, and Brian Moorman of guys from last years team. Many Many good players? Come on man. Even those guys are a stretch. We didnt even have a player in the top 100 on NFL Network. NOT ONE!!! How do you justify not having one top 100 player in the NFL when every team should average approximately 3. This is not a good team, this is not a talented team. Maybe things will turn around under the new regime, and I hope they do, however no one can convince me losing talent like Posluszny is the way to do it.

I disagree. I think there are many, many good players on this team. 4 wins last year is what usually happens when you have new systems on both sides AND personnel that doesn't match those systems. Considering the number of games that came down to a few points, we should all feel pretty hopeful that this GM, this coach, and these players can surprise a lot of people this season, even though we've been handed the toughest schedule YET AGAIN.

And I don't think you pay decent linebackers 7 million per season. Especially decent linebackers who have only stayed healthy for 1 full season and who has been very vocal about wanting to play in a 43. Nix tried to re-sign him so anyone trying to vent stupid fan anger toward Nix or anyone else in the front office is reacting emotionally and not rationally. Be smart. Posluszny didn't want to play in a 34D, period. He had choices, and made one. Get over it.

Quote from his agent (typo corrected since ProFootballWeekly has no decent editors):

"I have so much respect for the Buffalo organization," Posluszny's agent, Mike McCartney, told the
Buffalo News
. "They did everything the could to keep him. … But he felt more comfortable in a 4-3 defense. He felt he came into the league playing the Mike in the 4-3. I want to emphasize how much respect I have for Jim Overdorf and the Bills. It was a tough decision."

Bills were out of luck in this case since he wanted to go back to 4-3 defense which he felt more comfort in and probably felt he would have better career in.

If that's the case, Poz was doing what he felt was best for him and gave him the best chance to succeed.

The phrases "ridiculous offer" and "cheap" do not go together except in minds of anti-fans. Or mentally deficient ones but those may not be exclusive constraints.

Edited by BillsWatch

After the loss of Poz I hope Merriman does more than post on Twitter this year. If he returns back to old form we can get virtually any replacement for Poz in there to look good

And then there's this:

Amen on both accounts...