Poz signs with Jax, 6 years $7.5M/year reported

My 2 cents: Poz will be back because the Bills want him back and he wants back. He will start, despite his shortcomings, because he's the best we have. We should be thankful for Poz because the alternatives are worse. He plays hard and loves the Bills.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents: Poz will be back because the Bills want him back and he wants back. He will start, despite his shortcomings, because he's the best we have. We should be thankful for Poz because the alternatives are worse. He plays hard and loves the Bills.

This is a career decision for him. He will go to where he perceives the best offer was made.

"loves the Bills", come on man.

How does that mean he won't resign? Just because he wants to make sure there are no better offers out there doesn't mean he will take one. He's now entering his prime, possibly even the team he ends his career with. Why shouldn't he evaluate his options instead of jumping the gun? I don't blame him whatsoever.

Plus, maybe if he tests the market, we may find that teams aren't willing to pay as much for him as some us are thinking. Buddy may end up getting him cheaper. Well cheaper than top 5 franchise money anyway.

Eh. It's not like he was any better than London Fletcher. We had to move up in the 2nd round to get him. Funny how people hate Whitner because our front office was dumb enough to draft him #8 overall but Poz who took a 2nd and a 3rd if I am not mistaken to acquire and who also has been nothing special is a fan favorite.

Typical Bills. Don't pay the guy that is already doing the job well. Instead of using draft picks to improve existing areas of weakness we like to create new areas of weakness by not paying fair market value for anyone that is wanted outside of Buffalo.

If he goes elsewhere in a way I would actually be surprised. This is the typical over pay for average performance Buffalo scenario. Get er done Ralph!! $7 million a year should guarantee his mediocre performance for years to come!!!!

Edited by PDaDdy

I really would like to see what Poz can do with this improved D line in front of him.....

Darius - Blue Chipper stud

Williams - Pro Bowler

Carrington - a raw beast last year.....got better every game

Troupe - now looks like a LEGIT nose in a 3-4 at 325 pounds

Dwan Edwards - Our second best linemen before he got hurt

Our down linemen are VASTLY improved.....they should be able to tie up blockers and allow Poz to roam.

This is a career decision for him. He will go to where he perceives the best offer was made.

"loves the Bills", come on man.

Sounds like Nix is willing to make him a competitive offer (did you listen to the Nix presser today?). Given that Poz wants to stay and the Bills are willing to pay him market value, I predict he stays. It will be the right "career decision" under the circumstances.

Eh. It's not like he was any better than London Fletcher. We had to move up in the 2nd round to get him. Funny how people hate Whitner because our front office was dumb enough to draft him #8 overall but Poz who took a 2nd and a 3rd if I am not mistaken to acquire and who also has been nothing special is a fan favorite.

You are right. We fans are funny. If Poz was an undrafted FA, we'd universally love him. We'd be gushing about how a high-motor guy with limited physical skills but a big heart was able to fight his way into the starting lineup. But because he's a higher draft pick, the love for Poz is far from universal.

Poz who took a 2nd and a 3rd if I am not mistaken to acquire and who also has been nothing special is a fan favorite.

Poz is not necessarily a "fan favorite" of mine, but I dp want us to re sign Poz mainly because he's the best we got and with us not going after other team's FAs, it probably means that if we don't re sign him we'll either have a substandard backup, or green horn at one of the most important positions on the defense. I'm tired of going backwards player personnel wise. He's not great, but we could do a heck of a lot worse.

Buddy says "He's a leader for us. He's our kind of guy. He's a tough guy, smart." That and the fact that the team philosophy now is to re sign our own guys, I think we'll make a major play to keep him. I hope we do.

I agree we will likely focus on resigning our own players and stay out of the initial FA frenzy and wait for lesser knowns to hang around and get them at a bargain. It's just a shame because I think Poz will resign for more than he is worth. He's one of those guys the front office likes to talk up and has more fan support than his on field play would seem to suggest.

I threw out a random number but I am going with $7 million a year. As for free agents, we shop like poor people at Christmas. You can get some great deals and bargains after Dec 25th but all the good stuff is already gone.

Edited by PDaDdy

Fans of other teams on twitter and other forums really want poz, to bad this forum doesn't feel the same way

I've never seen Poz play the outside that I recall but he would make a nice addition to a team that didn't need a MLB that can't cover a TE, stay healthy, be stout at the point of attack or play sideline to sideline. I would actually like to see Poz play OLB to see if his play improves playing only half the field.

Edited by PDaDdy

I threw out a random number but I am going with $7 million a year.

Personally, I don't care how much money they give him as long as they get him (or someone better). It's not my money. I'd rather watch winning Bills football than watch a spiffy balance sheet and losing Bills football because we didn't "overpay" guys.

Personally, I don't care how much money they give him as long as they get him (or someone better). It's not my money. I'd rather watch winning Bills football than watch a spiffy balance sheet and losing Bills football because we didn't "overpay" guys.

No disagreement here if those are the two choices. Unfortunately in the NFL every penny matters. If you over spend on player X you have to "under spend" on player Y. Such is the salary cap. I don't care about a balance sheet but I do care when we over pay for mediocre and supposedly can't "afford" difference makers.

I want to know who these amazing inside linebackers are who make >50% of their tackles at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. The way people B word about Fletcher Poz, there must be a lot of them. Why don't we just sign a couple of them?

The Poz threads never cease to amaze me.

First people compare Poz to London Fletcher as evidence that Poz sucks. Fletcher is commonly regarded as the most under rated player of his generation and would likely have been a perennial pro bowler if not for playing the same position as Urlacher and Lewis. London was still an 9x alternate for the Pro Bowl. 9 times out of 12 seasons. Sounds like this Fletcher guy might be more than just a journeyman LB. I wish Poz was as good as London Fletcher. I wish our entire roster was as good as London Fletcher.

Then, all of Poz's tackles are discounted since they occured beyond the line of scrimmage. Take a look at the stats for LBs on NFL.com. Stats don't tell the whole story, but you'll notice that the league leaders in tackles includes some pretty recognizeable names, every year. It's good company to be in, and that's no coincidence.

And finally, people have decided that the contract that Poz has not yet been offered, is too much money.

Astounding.

The Poz threads never cease to amaze me.

First people compare Poz to London Fletcher as evidence that Poz sucks. Fletcher is commonly regarded as the most under rated player of his generation and would likely have been a perennial pro bowler if not for playing the same position as Urlacher and Lewis. London was still an 9x alternate for the Pro Bowl. 9 times out of 12 seasons. Sounds like this Fletcher guy might be more than just a journeyman LB. I wish Poz was as good as London Fletcher. I wish our entire roster was as good as London Fletcher.

Then, all of Poz's tackles are discounted since they occured beyond the line of scrimmage. Take a look at the stats for LBs on NFL.com. Stats don't tell the whole story, but you'll notice that the league leaders in tackles includes some pretty recognizeable names, every year. It's good company to be in, and that's no coincidence.

And finally, people have decided that the contract that Poz has not yet been offered, is too much money.

Astounding.

Honestly I think Fletcher was/is better.

Some seem to forget that a large contingent on this and other boards thought that Fletcher was over rated and not worth the money. They thought that he made all of his tackles down field. Etc, etc, etc. I think the criticism of Poz is fair in that light. I don't think Poz was an upgrade at all and we spent draft picks to move up in the second round to get him. No love for Fletcher. Nothing but dry eyes and oh wells when he couldn't get his pay day.

Why would anyone shed a tear for Poz whose only advantage is youth if not durability? As I said I wouldn't mind seeing Poz try OLB if we didn't have to overpay to keep him. IMO the best ILBs have sideline to sideline speed, can cover TEs and are stout at the point of attack up the middle. These are NOT Poz's strengths.

Edited by PDaDdy

No disagreement here if those are the two choices. Unfortunately in the NFL every penny matters. If you over spend on player X you have to "under spend" on player Y. Such is the salary cap. I don't care about a balance sheet but I do care when we over pay for mediocre and supposedly can't "afford" difference makers.

All that overpaying has only landed us... the 3rd most available cap room.

We have PLENTY of money, and are no where near being handcuffed by the cap.

All that overpaying has only landed us... the 3rd most available cap room.

We have PLENTY of money, and are no where near being handcuffed by the cap.

When you overpay for ramen noodles it's tough to exceed your shopping budget. By the way it has also COINCIDENTALLY "only landed us" the 3rd worst record in the NFL :blink:

I am speaking to a general philosophy that we employ. I know you can understand the logic of what I am saying. It's really pretty simple. If you overspend for average you don't have as much left to spend on great! As we spend more money to gear up for this year we will end up near the bare minimum an NFL team can spend on it's roster. That roster can be filled with try hard high motor average to slightly above average guys or it can be filled with some difference making superstars and journeymen supporting cast members.

I have often wondered about the salary break downs of successful teams vs unsuccessful teams. As I have somewhat stated I would rather have some difference making stars with supporting cast members that get the job done than have a team full of well paid average guys with no stars that can make a difference to win a game.

I would love to see salary break downs of say the Patriots, Jets, Saints and Packers vs teams like ours. My wild guess is that you have a few people making a LOT of money and a vast majority of other guys making modest salaries. By comparison I would imagine our team is filled with guys that are making better money than their average to slightly above average play would seem to dictate with no high paid "stars".

I am of course somewhat discounting early first round draft picks as their salary is based almost entirely on the slotting system not performance.

Edited by PDaDdy

When you overpay for ramen noodles it's tough to exceed your shopping budget. By the way it has also COINCIDENTALLY "only landed us" the 3rd worst record in the NFL :blink:

I am speaking to a general philosophy that we employ. I know you can understand the logic of what I am saying. It's really pretty simple. If you overspend for average you don't have as much left to spend on great! As we spend more money to gear up for this year we will end up near the bare minimum an NFL team can spend on it's roster. That roster can be filled with try hard high motor average to slightly above average guys or it can be filled with some difference making superstars and journeymen supporting cast members.

I have often wondered about the salary break downs of successful teams vs unsuccessful teams. As I have somewhat stated I would rather have some difference making stars with supporting cast members that get the job done than have a team full of well paid average guys with no stars that can make a difference to win a game.

I would love to see salary break downs of say the Patriots, Jets, Saints and Packers vs teams like ours. My wild guess is that you have a few people making a LOT of money and a vast majority of other guys making modest salaries. By comparison I would imagine our team is filled with guys that are making better money than their average to slightly above average play would seem to dictate with no high paid "stars".

I am of course somewhat discounting early first round draft picks as their salary is based almost entirely on the slotting system not performance.

So you've assumed an asset allocation for the Bills, Patriots, Jets, Saints and Packers based on the "try hard high motor average to slightly above average guys" and "difference making superstars and journeymen supporting cast members" strategies, and further assumed that the Bills team building philisophy is based on your original assumption? That's a lot of assuming on some pretty subjective areas.

No one disagrees with you that over paying whether for stars, average or depth is counter productive.