Sunday NFL Ticket

Standard offer it appears this year is $20 off for 6 months for a total savings of $120. I made my annual call to Retention stated that I would like to cancel the Ticket due to increasing costs and I could not afford to spend that much. They came out and offered $20 off for 6 months without any haggling. I probably could have gotten more if I pushed the envelope but it was a fair offer so I accepted.

That is their initial offer. It is a good one but like others here I asked for more and got it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished making my annual call. Played it very nicely and got the following:

Ticket for $159 ($176 off retail)

Free HD for 24 months ($10 off bill for 24 months = $240)

Free HD DVR (worth $199)

Free Showtime for 6 months (who knows what this costs but it's not worth much to me)

Granted the HD and DVR offers basically draw you further into DTV's offerings, but I'd be sticking with them anyway due to the Ticket so it feels like a good deal overall.

Good luck to everyone else!

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I think the one key like others have mentioned is you need to get right with a customer retention rep, otherwise you will not get a good offer from Direct TV. In my case I told them I was canceling my service entirely, not just Sunday Ticket. This I believe got their attention and started with an immediate offer for 1/2 price Sunday Ticket. It only took me mentioning that I knew of others who received it for free to get them to offer it to me. There is always a chance they could call you if you are bluffing, but I had the offer from Time Warner in front of me which I read to them and I was fully prepared to say goodbye after 9 years if I didn't get a good offer. According to the rep I talked to they have budgets that they are allowed to work within depending on your customer rating, so if you've been a long time loyal customer there is no reason that they shouldn't work with you to get a good deal.

As soon as I mentioned that I was seriously thinking about switching to Verizion FIOS the offers started rolling in.

As soon as I mentioned that I was seriously thinking about switching to Verizion FIOS the offers started rolling in.

nice tip billsfreak.

that was like the first thing i mentioned.

my price for this year FREE!!!!!!!

ps. they think i have had direct only 1 year and 3 months (previously under my name, now under my wifes name/ moved last year) just mentioning this because even "new" (lol) customers can get deals.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made the call (nothing like waiting until the last minute). Been a subscriber for a long time, always get a good discount, but have never gotten it for free like some posters had mentioned this year.

Directv: We can give you half off the Sunday ticket: price of $150 and change.

Me: (Wondering if I should go further or just take it). Well, can you at least throw in the Sunday Ticket To-Go with that?

Directv: Let me put you on hold and see.

Me: (Thinking I wimped out, should have asked for bigger discount on the Ticket)

Directtv: I'm having trouble getting that on there for free, it is normally $50. Hold on again.

Me: OK. (Thinking I'll just give up on the To-Go if they can't throw it in for free).

Directtv: Ok, What we can do is give you the ticket for free if you pay $50 for the To-Go.

Me: Ummmm... Sure that will work.

It's a silly little dance we do every year, and I dislike doing it, but it does pay off! I can live with three bucks a week to watch all the games this season.

I only use internet for my entertianment (I don't even have a TV), so I'm certainly not getting directTV, and I was waiting for them to allow nonsubscribers to sign up for the on the go package which I was willing to pay for this year, but it doesn't look like they are going to offer it. Has anyone tried partnering up with someone and letting the other person use the 'on the go' portion of their sunday ticket? I'm wondering if it is possible buy sunday ticket through a subscriber rather than direct tv.

my story.....

had NFL Ticket forever....cancelled it for this year....its the economy stupid......

Bills Fever has taken its effect on me...

signed up for it again online......had to pay full price....and also automatically add Mobile NFL Ticket for another $10/mos

couldn't delete the Mobile NFL Tix online...had to call

told them I didn't want the Mobile Tix...they said they're running a "special" where I can keep for free....(so then why did it say online that it was $10/month on my bill

then told them i was a long time NFL Tix user....canceled NFL Tix due the Strike (a lie) and asked if I could get it at the lower member renewal price....and they said yes....

MORALE OF THE STORY, yes you can get a lower price...I just did a little sweet talking....

I only use internet for my entertianment (I don't even have a TV), so I'm certainly not getting directTV, and I was waiting for them to allow nonsubscribers to sign up for the on the go package which I was willing to pay for this year, but it doesn't look like they are going to offer it. Has anyone tried partnering up with someone and letting the other person use the 'on the go' portion of their sunday ticket? I'm wondering if it is possible buy sunday ticket through a subscriber rather than direct tv.

If you have a friend that has Sunday Ticket and To Go, just get their log in info and watch To Go on your computer.

I understand certain people watch more TV then other people but how the hell can you not even own a TV?????? What are you some kind of commi or something?

Edited by Gordio

OK... Just got off the phone.

$334 base price.. 6 months at $20 = $214. "oh, I need to at least get under $200 and get something for her"... 6 months off the sports package at $10 = $154, plus two months of Showtime for "her".

Thanks!.... to all that contributed here for idea's! :D

there's a thread on this from last year. some folks were disappointed in the quality of the streaming and some were refused, getting only the internet feed if they couldn't access full direct tv service, as i recall. i bit the bullet and signed up for full service again after about a 5 year absence. $42.99 per month for 1st year with 2 receivers (1 is hddvr), hd service, dvr service, 3 months of premium channels, 1 year free sunday ticket, st to go, and free installation. 2nd year without premium channels is $74 per month and will have to haggle for sunday ticket price. got a bit of a discount going through verizon/century link. works out significantly cheaper than i was paying for cable with significant added services including sunday ticket and reportedly better hardware (better dvr) than cable. i don't think it makes much sense to get only "to go" product at this price as total cost is about $500 for 1st year for full service and i think its $300+ for stand alone "to go". of course, you are obligated to a two year contract.

Edited by birdog1960

So I called about a month back and got 150 off my bill but still had to pay the Ticket price. Said fine and took it at the time. Kept reading this post and decided to call again today to see if they could sweeten the pot. I told the rep that the last guy confused me and I wasnt sure that I could afford it. He says let me see...Came back with 20 off for 6 months and another 10 off the HDTV Pack for a savings of 30 a month and free Ticket to go.

So in total I saved 330.00 and got the Ticket To Go for free...essentially FREE!!!!!!

I understand certain people watch more TV then other people but how the hell can you not even own a TV?????? What are you some kind of commi or something?

I sold my TV to get the money for sunday ticket online. I think I may have miscalculated.

This month's bill was to include the first of 6 installments of $53.99 each for a grand total of $323.94 for the NFL Sunday Ticket.

I called today (yes, I'm Mr. Last Minute… plus it's aggravating to do this every year) and after getting transferred to the "retention department" I was offered $20 off for each of the 6 months. "The Ticket" at that point would have cost me a shade over $200 for the season. I told them I would call back because I really did want to figure out my next "threat."

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I called back and said that the first offer wasn't good enough and as a 6-year customer, I felt I deserved more.

Long story short, the rep (who was very polite) put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and offered "The Ticket" to me for 4 installments of $40 each and reduced my monthly bill by $5/month for the next 6 months.

So instead of paying $324, I'm paying $160 for the season plus I'm receiving a $30 discount on my bill. Total savings: $194… which means I'm actually paying $130 for The Ticket.

Bottom line for me is that I get to watch/record virtually every NFL game (except certain Niners and Raiders games because I live in their market) for about $7.65 per week.

I'm real happy but also amazed to see others here who got much better deals than myself. Much deserved kudos to all of you. I can only push a bargain so far before I start feeling a bit guilty.

my story.....

had NFL Ticket forever....cancelled it for this year....its the economy stupid......

Bills Fever has taken its effect on me...

signed up for it again online......had to pay full price....and also automatically add Mobile NFL Ticket for another $10/mos

couldn't delete the Mobile NFL Tix online...had to call

told them I didn't want the Mobile Tix...they said they're running a "special" where I can keep for free....(so then why did it say online that it was $10/month on my bill

then told them i was a long time NFL Tix user....canceled NFL Tix due the Strike (a lie) and asked if I could get it at the lower member renewal price....and they said yes....

MORALE OF THE STORY, yes you can get a lower price...I just did a little sweet talking....

good story, thanks for the "morale" .....:))

OK here's how my deal went down: called DTV yesterday - gave them the typical spiel of "I'm a long time loyal customer, considering other options"....they immediately gave me $10 off bill for 12 months, plus $7 off for DVR service for 1 yr = $204, plus an instant $120 discount off NFL Ticket. Told them I'd consider it but it wasn't good enough.

Called back today, told them I was ready to walk because they claimed I had not called in to cancel my Ticket auto-renewal due to the strike; they added a immediate $60 credit on top of the $120 reduction for the Ticket offered yesterday. This all happened after 3 occasions where I was put on hold after being told "let me see if I can find anything better for you". So, the net/net for me is this: autorenew price = $324; total of all credits = $384, so DTV is paying me $60 to watch football this year. I am going to call again today to see if I can get the Ticket To-Go rolled in free.

Not bad, I would say.....my moral of the story: stick to the 3 "P"s : Persistence, Patience, Politeness (but Firm !!)

Good luck to all my fellow ex-pats..... :thumbsup:

Need advice on Sunday Game Ticket. Apparently, I canceled my automatic renewal for game ticket earlyer this year. I called customer retention to see what deals they had and they said that because I canceled automatic renewal they could only offer me $10 per payment off. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Need advice on Sunday Game Ticket. Apparently, I canceled my automatic renewal for game ticket earlyer this year. I called customer retention to see what deals they had and they said that because I canceled automatic renewal they could only offer me $10 per payment off. Has anyone else run into this problem?

You need to be willing to be patient, and persistent. Ask them if canceling the whole service is a better option. Have you been a long-term customer? That will help. Also, don't quit after just one call. Wait until tomorrow and call back, asking for more.

hell no. i cancelled the auto renewal in june and so what. that has nothing to do with anything.

call back and get a deal. anyone can get a deal. even a 1 yr customer can get a deal.

This month's bill was to include the first of 6 installments of $53.99 each for a grand total of $323.94 for the NFL Sunday Ticket.

I called today (yes, I'm Mr. Last Minute… plus it's aggravating to do this every year) and after getting transferred to the "retention department" I was offered $20 off for each of the 6 months. "The Ticket" at that point would have cost me a shade over $200 for the season. I told them I would call back because I really did want to figure out my next "threat."

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I called back and said that the first offer wasn't good enough and as a 6-year customer, I felt I deserved more.

Long story short, the rep (who was very polite) put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and offered "The Ticket" to me for 4 installments of $40 each and reduced my monthly bill by $5/month for the next 6 months.

So instead of paying $324, I'm paying $160 for the season plus I'm receiving a $30 discount on my bill. Total savings: $194… which means I'm actually paying $130 for The Ticket.

Bottom line for me is that I get to watch/record virtually every NFL game (except certain Niners and Raiders games because I live in their market) for about $7.65 per week.

I'm real happy but also amazed to see others here who got much better deals than myself. Much deserved kudos to all of you. I can only push a bargain so far before I start feeling a bit guilty.

im glad you're happy. so imagine how i felt last week. "sir, you got it, my supervisor approved it, you're getting the 2011 nfl sunday ticket for free. Enjoy"

and hell yeah im gonna enjoy that!!!

I told the rep that the last guy confused me and I wasnt sure that I could afford it. He says let me see...Came back with 20 off for 6 months and another 10 off the HDTV Pack for a savings of 30 a month and free Ticket to go.

So in total I saved 330.00 and got the Ticket To Go for free...essentially FREE!!!!!!

Ahh...the old "feigning confusion" ploy. Brilliant!!

Be persistent is the key as some have said. First person told me all they could do was $20 off a month or free NFL Ticket To GO with my package.

Told them wasnt good enough, and to transfer me to someone who could help. She swore it was all that was possible, of course, I knew this wasnt true and told her I knew others got a much better deal and that a long time customer that bothered me. Long story short, the next person I was transferred to offered me $20 off a month for Sunday Ticket, plus free HDTV for a year saving another $120 making my Sunday Ticket essentially cost me about $85. I told them to throw in the NFL Sunday Ticket To Go for free and they had a deal. Put me on hold, and came back and said yes. So all in all, saved close to $300 on it and it took me about 30 min and also have the mobile pack.

Be persistent is the key as some have said. First person told me all they could do was $20 off a month or free NFL Ticket To GO with my package.

Told them wasnt good enough, and to transfer me to someone who could help. She swore it was all that was possible, of course, I knew this wasnt true and told her I knew others got a much better deal and that a long time customer that bothered me. Long story short, the next person I was transferred to offered me $20 off a month for Sunday Ticket, plus free HDTV for a year saving another $120 making my Sunday Ticket essentially cost me about $85. I told them to throw in the NFL Sunday Ticket To Go for free and they had a deal. Put me on hold, and came back and said yes. So all in all, saved close to $300 on it and it took me about 30 min and also have the mobile pack.

Not too bad. I had a house sitter a few months back and didn't have PPV password protected. Needless to say, DTV actually ate my $500 bill! ( i had to agree to a 1 year agreement extension)

You'll get different stories from different reps. This year, I hardly had to say anything to get a great deal. 2-3 years ago I was hitting a wall like you describe and I just said look--I'm on a message board where I've seen dozens of posts from people that have gotten better deals, so I know it is possible. That helped, as they came back with a much better offer. I also agree that the renewal doesn't have anything to do with it. I've had the ticket for 12 years, but it never auto-renews because my service is always suspended in the summer. That's never been a problem.

Well, nothing like waiting until the eleventh hour. I really meant to make the call a week or so ago but got sidetracked and finally called this afternoon...twice. I said "cancel" to the automated menu which automatically connected me to a 'Customer Retention' rep on both calls. This bypassed the frontline "grunts" and got me someone quickly. The first call I made, I said that I was disappointed that long-time customers like me (since '98) had to pay for Sunday Ticket while new subscribers got it free and it really wasn't fair. I also said that I noticed costs had gone up but I hadn't realized anything new on my services. I referred to the rep by name several times and was polite and never indignant or angry. He said he'd see what he could do. He came back and said that he could give me ST for free, $10 off of HD service for 6 months, & $10 off of my base package for 24 months. As I said, I waited longer than I had wanted to call and my first of 6 payments of $53.99 for ST had already been paid on the August bill. I asked if I could get credited for that and he again said he'd see what he could do but came back and said that, unfortunately, that wasn't possible. I said OK and mentioned that I'd gotten 3 months of Showtime free as an anniversary gift from DTV but we wouldn't watch it and asked if I get something else instead. He said he could knock off $10 a month for 6 months from my $13.99 a month Sports Package. I said sure. I then said thank you and hung up. So after the first call I had gotten:

- Sunday Ticket for $53.99 ($269.95 savings)

- $10 a month for 6 months off of HD service ($60 savings)

- $10 a month for 24 months off of my base package ($240 savings)

- $10 a month for 6 months off of my Sports Package ($60 savings)

Total savings $629.95

Waited a couple of hours and did some things around the house (including watching college football, lol) then called back and talked to a different rep. Again, the conversation was cordial and I called him by name several times. We talked about personal stuff, etc. I said that my wife was thinking about bundling our internet & phone with Verizon FiOS (not exactly true so I did tell a little white lie. :blush: ) I said that she wasn't thrilled with the rising prices and that although I'd gotten ST for free, I still had to pay $53.99. He said that the other rep should have credited me the $53.99 because when I called the first time, he technically cancelled my ticket and added it back. The second rep had no problem crediting me the $53.99 and also added Starz at no charge for 6 months to appease my wife. Lastly, I asked him about Sunday Ticket To Go. Although I knew exactly what it was, I had him explain it to me and said that it sounded cool. He then proceeded to throw that in for free. At this point, I was more than happy (and just a little embarrassed). I thanked him for everything, exchanged some pleasantries, and hung up. Final result after the second call:

- Sunday Ticket for FREE ($323.94 savings)

- $10 a month for 6 months off of HD service ($60 savings)

- $10 a month for 24 months off of my base package ($240 savings)

- $10 a month for 6 months off of my Sports Package ($60 savings)

- Free Sunday Ticket To Go ($49.95 Savings)

- 6 months free Starz ($77.94 value)

Total savings $733.89

Plus, the $77.94 value of Starz for 6 months (so $811.83, if you count that).

And, I now show an $88.19 credit on my next bill.

Disclaimer: My wife had nothing to do with this little caper and I threw her under the bus to accomplish my mission. I was never in any danger of her cancelling our DTV and as an added bonus, she's now in awe of my "negotiating skills". :devil::lol:

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by ExWNYer

After being an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber since its inception (using the old Big Dish, C and Ku band), I just let it go after having called DTV on three separate occasions and was unable to get them to budge. You see, I only carried the NFL Sunday Ticket with DTV, no other programming after having done so since the late 90's. My options (and their commitment to me) were limited at best. This year I was not able to get them to even knock off $60.00 as I have been able to for the past few years. I loved the Ticket, but simply could not justify the price at full tariff. I even offered to come back fully with DTV by adding a programming package, but they only would offer standard rates and the early bird renewal price I already had for the ticket.

Last year, I gave NFL Game Rewind a whirl (while still keeping the Ticket), and frankly the quality was solid, and I loved the reduced commercials and wasted time. I could get a complete game in well under 2 hours. Sure, I will now have to wait till midnight, but since I work evenings, it fits my life well enough. Living just outside Lousiville, KY, I won't have many opportunities to watch the Bills live on Broadcast TV (Bengals are broadcast here along with the Colts generally). I will miss going to IRC Chat during the game with Fezmid, and a number of others (TSW Chat generally was empty...). The live chat had become a sizable part of the game experience.

What I do object to is the never ending cost increases (it cost me $89.00 the first couple years and there were no blackout rules then either). Red Zone, etc added value, but since I didn't have any other programming, I had to pay $10.00 a month so I would get it in HD. This was in addition to the Ticket. Previously, DTV waived this, but couldn't get them to budge this year. I also despise the exclusivity of it (DTV), and the lack of "a la carte" services from DTV as well a from all TV programming providers. Back in the Big dish days, a la carte was the norm.

When my last call ending, the customer retention rep with DTV advised I would likely be getting a nice re-connect offer. I asked to go over with me, and she said she couldn't until I was officially disconnected. Silly, but that was she said and I couldn't pry anything further out of her. So, we'll see what they offer, but I don't hold much hope for it to be substantial enough......

• 3 weeks later...

Took a few calls, but they gave me free Sunday Ticket if I would sign up for autobill pay for the duration of football season.

Now if I could just figure out how to get the $150 "one time" discount again this year for NHL center Ice I would be golden. Do you actually have to threaten to bundle for this to happen?