Only 25 percent of American students

erynthered

I took the 12th grade test and got them all right. How about you?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/only-25-percent-american-students-passed-geography-test-160214355.html

25% ?? We really do have some dumb kids in this Country. :rolleyes:

I didn't have time to take the test but was always good a geography. I have to admit I got confused by the rhombus but I always aced the rest of it.

I took the 12th grade test and got them all right. How about you?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/only-25-percent-american-students-passed-geography-test-160214355.html

25% ?? We really do have some dumb kids in this Country. :rolleyes:

I took the test and aced it, and I ain't no rocket scientist, so we must be in real trouble. Maybe they kant reed (ore spel)???

4th Grade Question #3 actually has 2 correct answers. There's the answer they want the student to give and there's also the other correct answer :wallbash:

The photograph above of a steel mill in a United States city was taken in 1906. It would be unusual to see a scene like this in the United States today because

A the United States imports most of its steel from other countries

B United States laws controlling air pollution are stricter today than they were in 1906

C most steel is no longer made in factories

D taller smokestacks make it harder to see smoke from factories

4th Grade Question #3 actually has 2 correct answers. There's the answer they want the student to give and there's also the other correct answer :wallbash:

The percentage of imported steel is 22% give or take. It feels like we import more because the domestic steel isn't made where it used to be anymore and that the steel industry as a whole worldwide has shed something like 1,500,000 jobs over the last 30 years.

Data is at the bottom of page 14.

Edited by Big Papi

Missed the continent topography question. But really, is that (or the desertification in East Africa question) important to Americans?

I would argue sure they are both important if for no other reason than helping top set context with world events. The topography of South America had a part in recent events like the mining rescue and severe earthquakes in Chile. Desertification has impact on poverty and escalation of violence on the African continent. The point is that kids don't need to know every fact out there but they should have a sense of how things relate.

Future High School Geography Test Question...

What environmental factor is most responsible for the painful ignorance of American students?

A. Vast mountain ranges prevent adequate flow of oxygen to suburban communities

B. Cool, attractive male students unable to concentrate due to being constantly seduced by female teachers made exessively horny by overload of microwave signals from cellphone towers

C. Gravity literally causes the knowledge to fall down into Mexico

D. Our country is just too big and has too many states. There’s no way anybody could remember all that stuff

Correct answer: B

Missed the continent topography question. But really, is that (or the desertification in East Africa question) important to Americans?

Only if you're taking a geography class...

(...or - seriously - live on the East Coast. East African desertification affects Atlantic hurricanes.)