Before paying the rookies, Bills might have ~$50 Million in cap r

Scrappy

They will resign their own players and work on extensions for some others who have deals expiring in the next year. Nix said they want to keep their own good players. Read this write up on the 49ers plan. This is the same type plan Nix has said he will use to build the team:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/49ers-g-m-says-team-wont-be-major-players-in-free-agency/

Still, Nix better add a FA or two. We don't have many "good" players on this team. It's a bunch of average players with a few players with one good year under their belt. We need some proven players, particularly at TE and OLB if we will compete next year.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, Nix better add a FA or two. We don't have many "good" players on this team. It's a bunch of average players with a few players with one good year under their belt. We need some proven players, particularly at TE and OLB if we will compete next year.

Ralph will veto any attempt to spend $, so you might as well pack that dream in early.

Ralph will veto any attempt to spend $, so you might as well pack that dream in early.

Not so fast; it sounds like there's a pretty steep salary floor this year that will force the Bills to spend at least $35-40 million this year. May be good for the Bills short-term, but bad for long-term viability in WNY.....

Not so fast; it sounds like there's a pretty steep salary floor this year that will force the Bills to spend at least $35-40 million this year. May be good for the Bills short-term, but bad for long-term viability in WNY.....

He'll find a way to extend our worst defensive players with the balance, LOL.

Edited by Scrappy

I dont get it scrap...if you really feel this way why are you rooting for this team? A glutton for punishment?

That & Ralph finally looks his age, so something is going to change sooner versus later. I'm a pretty patient person as well, so all these years of failure in my sports dreams really helps propel me to earn in my business. It's like I need a failure & to be rediculed by all I talk to about the Bills, yet find a way to make excuses that convince only myself. The training of making quick excuses for the Bills really translates well in the business world, if you utilize it for it's maximum effect.

Who knows, one hair crossed or indigestion can do the trick when your near 93 anyways. I'll let fate decide it's course on that, while I choose mine. I'd revisit what motivates you while coming to grips with reality, like I obviously have.

Edited by Scrappy

We need a RT, very badly.

That & Ralph finally looks his age, so something is going to change sooner versus later. I'm a pretty patient person as well, so all these years of failure in my sports dreams really helps propel me to earn in my business. It's like I need a failure & to be rediculed by all I talk to about the Bills, yet find a way to make excuses that convince only myself. The training of making quick excuses for the Bills really translates well in the business world, if you utilize it for it's maximum effect.

Who knows, one hair crossed or indigestion can do the trick when your near 93 anyways. I'll let fate decide it's course on that, while I choose mine. I'd revisit what motivates you while coming to grips with reality, like I obviously have.

So you are rooting for the owner to die? I am sorry I am not as good with my words as you are so I am pretty basic.

Are you asking what motivates me to root for the team? I still hang onto the memories of a team that made it to four straight super bowls...and believe that if you can get to that kind of dominance once then you can do it again. I also believe that Ralph even if it was an accident.....got lucky again with his choices I feel that the guy they got from Pittsburge, Buddy, Gailey, Wannstadt were all good choices.

Agreed, I thought that it was going to be near 100% or just under as I understood it. I know you keep stressing the same point (several times), so can you please come up with what you feel the "Cap Minimum" will be ?? That would be more constructive then simply kicking out some random information, thanks.

Why are you so angry. Also, random jokes about Ralph passing or your stupid Denny's cracks aren't very constructive either.

I cant believe Maybin will be paid $3,757,500 (757,500 base, 3,000,000 bonus) for numbers that I could have gotten.

Buddy Nix, I will do as well as, if not better, for half the money!

The sad thing is, now that there will be a cash minimum required by all teams, cutting Maybin becomes less and less of a reality. Ironically, him being way-overpaid helps the Bill's achieve this cash minimum.

Edited by stony

So you are rooting for the owner to die? I am sorry I am not as good with my words as you are so I am pretty basic.

Are you asking what motivates me to root for the team? I still hang onto the memories of a team that made it to four straight super bowls...and believe that if you can get to that kind of dominance once then you can do it again. I also believe that Ralph even if it was an accident.....got lucky again with his choices I feel that the guy they got from Pittsburge, Buddy, Gailey, Wannstadt were all good choices.

When nature takes it course, it'll not be from my rooting it on. I simply pointed out a fact that based on statistics, Ralph's alarm will go off sooner than later. You do realize that he has basically outlived every original owner & many original coaches?? If he becomes incapable of running the team properly or goes through a long illness period but holds on, what becomes of the team then? You guys haven't weighed out the he can continue to live but not be functionally able to change the course set. There could then be legal battles amongst greedy heirs that expect things & the team ends up in receivership until further notice. That'll toss at least a few more seasons in the river.

Selling the team while alive assures a clear course for the team, this let's see how old I get & hope for everyone to play nice is going to make waves. His relatives would probably like their money before they're too old to enjoy it. Maybe somebody should step up & give him something to think about.

Edited by Scrappy

i wouldnt mind jonathan joseph one bit but im assuming florence will be back with the blue and white. Who are the top olb talents, clearly woodley will get resigned but who after? I think the way we approach defensive f.a will be if we really plan on instituting the 3-4 fully or not. I guess resigning poz turns into a necessity as well even though after watching him every game you realize how bad he is. I like joseph because c.b depth is never a bad thing. A r.t would be much needed and appreciated as i truly did see great improvement with bell last year and levitre wood and urbik are starting to look like the interior we want. A t.e would also be nice but we all know we will never get one of those.

When nature takes it course, it'll not be from my rooting it on. I simply pointed out a fact that based on statistics, Ralph's alarm will go off sooner than later. You do realize that he has basically outlived every original owner & many original coaches?? If he becomes incapable of running the team properly or goes through a long illness period but holds on, what becomes of the team then? You guys haven't weighed out the he can continue to live but not be functionally able to change the course set. There could then be legal battles amongst greedy heirs that expect things & the team ends up in receivership until further notice. That'll toss at least a few more seasons in the river.

Selling the team while alive assures a clear course for the team, this let's see how old I get & hope for everyone to play nice is going to make waves. His relatives would probably like their money before they're too old to enjoy it. Maybe somebody should step up & give him something to think about.

Your scary buddy.

From the link above, not earth shattering but...

They will try to sign at least a couple of free agents. The biggest one they would like to keep is linebacker Paul Posluszny, and they are certain to be in the market for a veteran backup to quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

They need to sign their rookies, including University of Alabama defensive lineman Marcell Dareus, the third overall pick in the NFL Draft.

And at some point over the next several months, they will try to extend the contracts of current players who are nearing the end of their deals, such as receiver Stevie Johnson, whose deal is up after this season

Is this (salary floor) a burdensome thing for a small-market team like the Bills? Not really, despite the fact the Bills are about $44 million under a cap of $120 million in actual cash spending to date, according to News figures. The last year the cap was in effect in 2009, it was $128 million per team.

When the Bills sign players to big contracts -- such as Dareus or Johnson -- they can give them a lot of money up front. That helps them meet the spending requirement

it’s likely Dareus will get about $30 million from the Bills. A good portion of that could go into the first year of the deal

From the link above, not earth shattering but...

Yes, I saw what Gaughan wrote.

So odd that he failed to mention Drayton Florence. Gaughan goes on and on about re-signing Stevie Johnson and Fitz… and about the money it might take to sign Marcel Dareus but zero mention of Florence.

Regardless of Florence's fate or the Bills intentions regarding him, it's a glaring omission by Gaughan because Florence is such a central question mark in terms of what direction the Bills go in. The topic of Florence was the elephant in the room whom Gaughan failed to notice.

To not mention Florence's situation in any context at all is an error by the writer.

On a related note (IMO) Sullivan was asked in his latest live chat about the Bills D-line starters and depth players. He did not even mention Carrington or Troup until reminded of them by a participant. In fairness, to Sully's credit (in a convoluted way), he admitted that he'd forgotten about them.

It's unfortunate when a team's fans are more wired to the team than those who are paid to cover that team.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan