Anybody watching women's world cup?

We need to see more of that hot talented pink sports bra! That was a beauty of a pass.

What a great game this is turning out to be. Japan just won't quit. I hope the pink bra has more magic yet to give!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow...this was like watching a couple of those Monday Night Games when the Bills played the Cowboys or whoever. We pretty much dominate the entire game, but fail to take advantage of enough opportunities to put the game away, we make a couple boneheaded mistakes, and next thing you know we've lost.

Why in the WORLD they tried to clear the ball toward the middle of the goal the first time Japan scored is beyond me. I watched the replay and it seemed to me she was not comfortable using her non-dominant leg, so she had to clear it toward the goal given her position. That was basically an own goal, and if she had just cleared it with her LEFT leg out of harm's way, they'd be world champs right now.

We absolutely dominated Japan for 90% of this match. They were making beautiful passes in and around the box to set up their shots and create opportunities, but just couldn't put the ball on goal. We had chance after chance after chance, but just couldn't get out of our own way. I'm happy that Japan has something to celebrate, cause they deserve it after all they've been through. But this should have been a win for our ladies.

I noticed a big difference between hockey and soccer. In hockey when you trip someone who has a breakaway, that person gets a penalty shot, one on one with the goalie.

In soccer when you do that, the entire team gets to line up in front of the goal to block the shot. :wacko:

In that case, why wouldn't you ALWAYS tackle someone like that??? :huh:

I noticed a big difference between hockey and soccer. In hockey when you trip someone who has a breakaway, that person gets a penalty shot, one on one with the goalie.

In soccer when you do that, the entire team gets to line up in front of the goal to block the shot. :wacko:

If she would have been another yard or two in toward the goal, i.e. inside the box, she would have been given a PK.

Congrats to our ladies for making it this far. Congrats to Japan for a well played match.

What saved it for Japan was the take-down of Alex Morgan on what was going to be a dead breakaway and a sure goal.

A red card and a free kick at that moment was cold comfort.

That's one of the things about soccer that really frustrates me. The penalty doesn't nearly fit the crime there. After an obvious take-down foul, they legislate a 75% scoring chance into a 15% one. WTF is that?!? An arbitrary distance really shouldn't matter there.

Edited by UConn James

What saved it for Japan was the take-down of Alex Morgan on what was going to be a dead breakaway and a sure goal.

A red card and a free kick at that moment was cold comfort.

That's one of the things about soccer that really frustrates me. The penalty doesn't nearly fit the crime there. After an obvious take-down foul, they legislate a 75% scoring chance into a 15% one. WTF is that?!? An arbitrary distance really shouldn't matter there.

Must be cool to see the future like you do. Tell me, if the refs hadn't made that horrible blown offsides call against Ohno on her dead breakaway, would that also have been a sure goal to put Japan up 1-0 ?

if that happens early in the game its a much larger punishment. in the last minute of extra time in the finals, not so much. also, it was about a foot away from a penalty shot.

Wow...this was like watching a couple of those Monday Night Games when the Bills played the Cowboys or whoever. We pretty much dominate the entire game, but fail to take advantage of enough opportunities to put the game away, we make a couple boneheaded mistakes, and next thing you know we've lost.

Why in the WORLD they tried to clear the ball toward the middle of the goal the first time Japan scored is beyond me. I watched the replay and it seemed to me she was not comfortable using her non-dominant leg, so she had to clear it toward the goal given her position. That was basically an own goal, and if she had just cleared it with her LEFT leg out of harm's way, they'd be world champs right now.

We absolutely dominated Japan for 90% of this match. They were making beautiful passes in and around the box to set up their shots and create opportunities, but just couldn't put the ball on goal. We had chance after chance after chance, but just couldn't get out of our own way. I'm happy that Japan has something to celebrate, cause they deserve it after all they've been through. But this should have been a win for our ladies.

Exactly my thought. As a Bills fan watching them fail to capitalize on so many opportunities and then make some mistakes and fail to hold the lead I knew exactly where it was going. Brutal. Painful. Not completely unexpected - been there before. If someone asks me what it's like to be a Bills fan I may just reference this match.

Congratulations to Japan. Shannon Box and Carlie Lloyd, the co-Least Valuable Players in regular time, cap it off with epic chokejobs on their PK's. How they were still in the game at that point is baffling. Our defense was obviously comically bad in front of our net. Rapinoe otoh was very good again.

On the plus side, maybe I have a chance with Alex Morgan now? :blush:

Exactly my thought. As a Bills fan watching them fail to capitalize on so many opportunities and then make some mistakes and fail to hold the lead I knew exactly where it was going. Brutal. Painful. Not completely unexpected - been there before. If someone asks me what it's like to be a Bills fan I may just reference this match.

I've always been of the belief that if you get BEAT, and you try your best, there is no shame in that. But if you lose because of a mistake or because you were bumblefukin around, then it stings like a mother, and for a long, long time. We were DOMINATING this team today. If Japan hadn't had three goalies (the keeper, the crossbar, and the left post), we would have had like 3-4 goals. When that didn't happen, we had to play smart soccer, but instead we went into three stooges mode on D. Trying to clear it across the goal mouth is just inexcusable when you're in traffic like that...and if you can't use your other leg, you shouldn't even be on the field to begin with. I suck with my left arm, but I was fortunate enough to have been taught to strengthen both my legs when I was like 6 years old at soccer camp. I can get almost as much on the ball with my left leg as I can with my right and that's why I was as good of a player as I was for the following ten years. I still can't believe she did that...especially with everyone else playing so well. Very frustrating...

Congratulations to Japan. Shannon Box and Carlie Lloyd, the co-Least Valuable Players in regular time, cap it off with epic chokejobs on their PK's. How they were still in the game at that point is baffling. Our defense was obviously comically bad in front of our net. Rapinoe otoh was very good again.

On the plus side, maybe I have a chance with Alex Morgan now? :blush:

I think there will be a LOT of guys hoping to have a chance with Ms Morgan now...but I'm rooting for ya, brother! :thumbsup:

Something else about this match that was really positive, our forwards - particularly Rapinoe - were dropping back to help the D almost every single time. The defense had it easy almost the entire match, and surely for the entire first half. It's just a shame they couldn't make basic plays when it really counted...ugh.

Edited by ajzepp

if that happens early in the game its a much larger punishment. in the last minute of extra time in the finals, not so much. also, it was about a foot away from a penalty shot.

Oh, I thought that WAS a penalty shot....

Shows how much I know about the sport. :D

You're ahead of me. I thought all this was about some golf tournament.

It'd make golf more exciting if the competitors could dive in front of the ball or tackle the golfer at the knees. :lol:

It'd make golf more exciting if the competitors could dive in front of the ball or tackle the golfer at the knees. :lol:

lol, I'd watch that