Question about 70's Bills pre-season game

Does anyone happen to know what year it was when the Vikings played the Bills in a pre-season game in the 1970's and the Vikings destroyed the Bills something like 30-6. The reason why I am curious is that it was the first ever Bills game I went to and I was wondering what year that was. My gut tells me it was 1977, but I remember my dad having a converastion with someone before the game how O.J. wouldn't be playing because he was holding out and I thought that would have been 1976.

I doubt anyone would know this but maybe someone has a list of the history all the Bills games that would include pre-season games. Thanks.

Does anyone happen to know what year it was when the Vikings played the Bills in a pre-season game in the 1970's and the Vikings destroyed the Bills something like 30-6. The reason why I am curious is that it was the first ever Bills game I went to and I was wondering what year that was. My gut tells me it was 1977, but I remember my dad having a converastion with someone before the game how O.J. wouldn't be playing because he was holding out and I thought that would have been 1976.

I doubt anyone would know this but maybe someone has a list of the history all the Bills games that would include pre-season games. Thanks.

September 10, 1977.

I went to my 1st game ever the next weekend in a loss to the fish on the 18th.

Thanks Taro T, I wasn't sure if anyone would know the answer to that. Would you happen to know what the score was?

You had the score correct. 30-6.

The game I went to was rainy and miserable. 13-0, and the 1st of 11 losses that year.

My first game was the first game ever played at Rich Stadium...August 17, 1973. Still have my ticket stub, and the inaugural coin they gave out. The Bills got beat, bad...preseason. I remember the first play of the game, Redskins returned the opening kick for a TD. Way to christen the new stadium! Hard to believe, that almost 40 years ago...I have been to about 115-120 games since...still have all my ticket stubs! Ironically, the only one I ever lost, was from a game in Houston, in 2006...the one where JP had the back to back 83 yard td passes to Evans, and then another, game winner, in the final seconds, to Peerless Price, as he just managed to get both feet down, in bounds...I had to buy a complete, unused ticket, from someone, on Ebay....

My first game was the first game ever played at Rich Stadium...August 17, 1973. Still have my ticket stub, and the inaugural coin they gave out. The Bills got beat, bad...preseason. I remember the first play of the game, Redskins returned the opening kick for a TD. Way to christen the new stadium! Hard to believe, that almost 40 years ago...I have been to about 115-120 games since...still have all my ticket stubs! Ironically, the only one I ever lost, was from a game in Houston, in 2006...the one where JP had the back to back 83 yard td passes to Evans, and then another, game winner, in the final seconds, to Peerless Price, as he just managed to get both feet down, in bounds...I had to buy a complete, unused ticket, from someone, on Ebay....

I'm not 100% sure here but I've had seasons since 06' and haven't missed a single game since(including preseason and the HOF game) and I remember watching that Houston game on TV with my friends (I had Evans on my fantasy team and remember it well). Like I said, I'm not 100% on this, but I think your getting that game confused with another. I'm not trying to be an @sshole or call you out at all, I'm just having a hard time remembering. Do you have a link to the game summary to that game?

I'm not 100% sure here but I've had seasons since 06' and haven't missed a single game since(including preseason and the HOF game) and I remember watching that Houston game on TV with my friends (I had Evans on my fantasy team and remember it well). Like I said, I'm not 100% on this, but I think your getting that game confused with another. I'm not trying to be an @sshole or call you out at all, I'm just having a hard time remembering. Do you have a link to the game summary to that game?

Forget it. Maybe I should read EVERY word. You said "in Houston" I'm dumb. What a game that was. Must have been great to be at.

Buftex I was at that game.I remember a few people at the stadium who weren't drunk out of their minds.And the traffic jams.

PS-you a Treme fan? I think a lot of us Treme fans are musicians.

Herb Mul-Key of the Redskins. I was there with my brother. Maybe it was a foreshadow of the decade we have been in.

My first game was the first game ever played at Rich Stadium...August 17, 1973. Still have my ticket stub, and the inaugural coin they gave out. The Bills got beat, bad...preseason. I remember the first play of the game, Redskins returned the opening kick for a TD. Way to christen the new stadium! Hard to believe, that almost 40 years ago...

I was there too. I remember Duane Thomas going into the stands after a fan during the National Anthem :oops: The stadium was half-empty at kickoff because of the traffic and stadium issues.

September 10, 1977.

Wow...13 days before I was born. My 1st game was in '92 when we played the revolving door QB tandem of Tommy Maddox and Shawn Moore vs Broncos. I will never forget the double reverse pitchback to Kelly who hit Beebe for a 65 yard TD and snapped them out of a 2 game offensive funk. GO BILLS!!!!!

September 10, 1977.

So heres my question..and like someone else said not tring to b a pain. I always thought the season opened Labor Day Weekend..as best i can remember. Obviously, Labor Day can't be September 10th..maybe that was when they went to 16? I have no idea whgen they went from 14 to 16. Just a question, as I loved in the late 80's through the 90's Bill's allmost always opened at home, and it was great to drive back on Monday and not have to take off work

I was at the Mul-Key christening too. Got there early enough to be in my seat for that return.

Most people remeber that game -obviously- but few recall we won our Home Opener in the reg. season 9-7 over the Jests. Quick: who scored the 1st Bills TD in reg. season @ Rich Stadium?

I was at the Mul-Key christening too. Got there early enough to be in my seat for that return.

Most people remeber that game -obviously- but few recall we won our Home Opener in the reg. season 9-7 over the Jests. Quick: who scored the 1st Bills TD in reg. season @ Rich Stadium?

Only because it's you asking and he was on the team at the time, I'll guess Bobby Chandler.

Although now I'm getting deja vu and I think you might have asked this question before and I don't think the answer is Bobby Chandler...

I don't remember that but I always think I remember a punt pass and kick competition at halftime that some kid from Pennsylvania won. Anybody else remember that? For some reason I always thought it was Jimbo, I was only 13 at the time and my memory is shakey lol, I also went to a lot of great concerts there in the 70s so it is really no wonder why, my first was CSNY with Santana and some other groups anybody tell who and when that was?

Wallace Francis 101 yard kickoff return against the Eagles.

So heres my question..and like someone else said not tring to b a pain. I always thought the season opened Labor Day Weekend..as best i can remember. Obviously, Labor Day can't be September 10th..maybe that was when they went to 16? I have no idea whgen they went from 14 to 16. Just a question, as I loved in the late 80's through the 90's Bill's allmost always opened at home, and it was great to drive back on Monday and not have to take off work

They went to 16 games the next year and opening day '78 was 9/3. So it looks like '78 is when the 'Open on Labor Day Weekend' started up, at least for their NFL years. They started 2 weekends after Labor Day Weekend from '70-'77 (w/ the exception of '76 which kicked off on 9/13).

They started on 9/4 in '66, so I guess that would technically be the 1st time they opened on Labor Day Weekend. Their other AFL openers were typically the weekend after Labor Day.

'77. That was the first game I remembered going to, although I'm told I went to one's earlier than that.

I did not go to the game (was traveling by backpack that year) but my brother had season tickets, and years later he gave me his coin and ticket stub.

I think the first game I saw at Rich Stadium was a victory over the Redskins. Theismann was hurt, just enough to have the officials call time out, so he had to sit out for one play before returning. On the next play his backup (whoever it was) took the snap but illegal motion was called so they had a "do-over". Theismann figured he had sat out his mandatory "one play" and came back in. No one said anything until a Bills coach on the sidelines went nuts and was screaming at the officials. Flag goes up - penalty on the Redskins! The illegal motion was a non-play, so Theismann returned without actually sitting out a play.

Lots of fun!