The self driving car is coming!

Just Jack

Volkswagen Shows Off Self-Driving Auto Pilot Technology For Cars

The good news--or bad, depending on how you look at it--is that compared to the more advanced autonomous driving technologies, Volkswagen’s latest Temporary Auto Pilot is based on a relatively production-like sensor platform, consisting of production-level radar-, camera-, and ultrasonic-based sensors supplemented by a laser scanner and an electronic horizon. This means that we could see a production version within the next couple of years.

Not surprised. Some already have a push button for starting. Others can parrell park.

The parking word is spelled parallel. You are thinking of non-parrells which are chocolates. I have never had a parrell, but the non-parrells are pretty good. I like them frozen.

Anyway I get some of this supposed advanced technology ahead of time to test out. It will be at least 5 more generations before they add the squirrel feature so I will stick with manual for a while. Hitting squirrels is as much about feel as it is about speed or turning and the computers just can't seem to get that.

Will they offer male and female versions?

I'm wondering whether they can be programmed to target bicyclists who blow through stop signs and generally ignore the rules of the road even though the cars that they are sharing the road with 'don't mind' the lawlessness of the peddlers.

I'm wondering whether they can be programmed to target bicyclists who blow through stop signs and generally ignore the rules of the road even though the cars that they are sharing the road with 'don't mind' the lawlessness of the peddlers.

I hope not. I still want to do that manually.

Not surprised. Some already have a push button for starting. Others can parrell park.

Its funny to me that this is considered a luxury feature on cars in 2011 when my dad's 1967 farmall tractor has push button starting.

Edited by Chandemonium

Right. They're probably going to have to have a "Drive Like an *" function, or 40% of drivers won't even consider buying one... because they get jollies from being an *.

It'd also be interesting how the car insurance companies will treat this technology.

My dad actually said back in like 1999 that he hoped that in the future there would be cars that you could type in an address and you would be able to sit in the back seat and sleep or do whatever you wanted. He thought that if the tech was good it would save people from themselves. And this was coming from a man that to this day doesn't fully get how a GPS works.

I think its cool, I think this would help eliminate drunk driving as why would you risk a DUI when your car could just drive its self.

The parking word is spelled parallel. You are thinking of non-parrells which are chocolates. I have never had a parrell, but the non-parrells are pretty good. I like them frozen.

Anyway I get some of this supposed advanced technology ahead of time to test out. It will be at least 5 more generations before they add the squirrel feature so I will stick with manual for a while. Hitting squirrels is as much about feel as it is about speed or turning and the computers just can't seem to get that.

Good point on the spelling. I knew I should have looked it up. Maybe SDS can can find a way to

have spell check here on TBD for 2012.

Its funny to me that this is considered a luxury feature on cars in 2011 when my dad's 1967 farmall tractor has push button starting.

I remember those days too.