Do or Die Season For Fitzpatrick

mjt328

Fitz has to win. Forget the numbers but 8 wins is a good target for me. Yeah if the team goes 6-10 but Ftiz throws for 3600+ yards 25+ TD's and less than 14 INT's you would have to reevaluate what had the team lose. But as long as Fitz plays well, the team wins, or its an outside factor like the D that leads to the losses, than he will be OK.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes a lot more than a QB to win. We need a left tackle. And for all the people who talk about sacks given up....how about the sacks given up on the right side, every time we slide protect to the left- those are on Bell, regardless of what made up stats say!

Lets keep in mind that Bell was coming off injury as well and couldn't even play full games at the beginning of the year.......

I thought he weakened towards the end of the year...but he did in fact shut down some pretty good pass rushers and improved on his false start penalties......

Lets keep in mind that Bell was coming off injury as well and couldn't even play full games at the beginning of the year.......

I thought he weakened towards the end of the year...but he did in fact shut down some pretty good pass rushers and improved on his false start penalties......

How many pass plays did we slide left

And that is why its a unfair comparison....they win as a team not just Fitz.

- If the defense gives up 200 yards a game on the ground.....we are going to lose

- If Wide receivers drop easy passes and passes that hit them right in the hands on touchdowns......we are going to lose

- If we cant get a pass rush....we are going to lose

And on and on

Stevie's dropped pass in the end zone against the Steelers was last season's (God forgive me) "wide right." Stevie catches that pass, we beat (and I mean MF BEAT) the Steelers and I would bet my grandma's dentures we win 5 out of the last 6 games instead of 2. That would have been a HUGE win. That's not dumping the season on Stevie, that's yet another "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" that the team has been accustomed to for lo these many years.

I agree with your post points above, BTW. It's a team game but somewhere along the line, when the game is on the line, someone is going to have to step up and find a way to effing WIN it instead of the goddam plethora of highlight reel moments we find to lose it.

I honestly think this is more a do or die situation for the Bills across the board. So many positions that have under-performing players seems unfair to just make this a do-or-die situation for just one guy. Evans, Maybin, the rest of the receiving corps, Troup, Carrington, I could go on and on with which players need to begin playing well, or begin their post NFL careers.

In agreement. I'm SO DAMN GLAD the brain trust drafted Dareus. Note to the doubters...don't like Fitz? Friggin' deal with it until the 2012 draft. Bring your Tums, and wash them down with the Labatts. Fitz is who ya got. Rally 'round.

"Ain't That A B word" - Johnny 'Guitar' Watson

Um no because there was at least some semblence of an offense with Fitz on the field.....

This team LITERALLY fell apart when Brohm replaced him....I mean it was really bad. I didn't realize just how much Fitz carried this team until he wasnt playing last year.

The team really did fall apart, John. What bothers me is how our offense just rolled over & packed it in the last 2-3 games of the season last year. Guys missing balls that hit'em right in the hands, terrible red zone production...... Where was the veteran leadership??? And I'm not just talkin about Fitz. He did spark the team for most of the season.

It also depends on his teammates too. WR have to catch, and RBs have to run. OL has to block. Kickers have to kick... etc

OF COURSE FITZ IS GONNA BE UNDER THE SCOPE... EVERYONE IS UNDER THE SCOPE... If you don't perform, there are questions to be asked. But this goes with any position on the Bills team. Not just Fitz... Everyone has to play at a high level. If you're not you're gonna be called out...

True. But the QB is the one that's always in the spotlight.

WOW ! The guy sounds like a long time Bills fan . I like to look at things with a more positive out look . I think with a couple more pieces , which some have been added through the draft & some coming back from IR the team is going to be better with out a doubt !!

Last year would have been better if the D would have made just 1 or 2 more plays per game , meaning mostly the games we lost in over time by 3 points . If the D would have held those games our record last year would have been 8 & 8 .

500% I'll take it ! This year with Easley , Parrish , Batten , & hopefully Merriman all coming off IR & staying healthy (the big if) the team is automatically better , then you through in the draft class this year Darius , Sheppard , Williams , White , Jasper , Rogers + Wanny at coach how can we not be better team .

Great points. An upgraded D schould make a HUGE difference. I believe an improved D has to be the difference-maker in those close games this year! Turning those close losses into wins is a big confidence booster on offense & defense. Something else I think is key, especially for a young team, is faster starts out of the gate. We can't be into October & we're still looking for our first W.

If the defense is better, then we will get a better reading on Fitz...

Agree

And that is why its a unfair comparison....they win as a team not just Fitz.

- If the defense gives up 200 yards a game on the ground.....we are going to lose

- If Wide receivers drop easy passes and passes that hit them right in the hands on touchdowns......we are going to lose

- If we cant get a pass rush....we are going to lose

And on and on

"Copy that."

It takes a lot more than a QB to win. We need a left tackle. And for all the people who talk about sacks given up....how about the sacks given up on the right side, every time we slide protect to the left- those are on Bell, regardless of what made up stats say!

This board just doesn't get that, and never will!

Bell was still coming off an injury at the start of last season, and if you can believe it, they were swapping him in and out of plays, so it was tough to gain any sort of continuity. Still he was just as bad as the 4 RT's last season for allowing hits and pressures, Not good!

That line is still a mess and they haven't shown they can hold up against a really good team with Fitz holding the ball more then 3 seconds. This staff chose not to draft any help for the line for 2 years so they must think they can win with scrubs...

To the OP question, Should Fitz sustain a leg injury of any kind he will be very susceptible to any kind of pass rush. What saved his a$ last year was his uncanny ability to scramble and make first downs with his legs, Fitz was as good as Mike Vick was at 6.7 yards per attempt

LT Bell-injury prone- LG Levitre OK- C Wood OK RG- Urbik scrub- RT Wrotto scrub TE Martin scrub 2 decent- one always injured- 3 scrubs, a recipe for another disastrous season. The Bills will be drafting a QB next draft.

Whatevs.

It is a team game. Good teams have a defense that picks up some slack for offensive mistakes. Expecting a QB to be the magic bullet that "keeps the team in playoff contention thru December" seems like laying a lot on the guy - any guy, when last year's team was 4-11 and had a revolving door at OL and an unbelievably bad rushing defense.

Put Brady or Manning in Buffalo, does anyone really want to assert we would have been in the playoff picture in December last year?

Seriously?

I guess what I wonder about is the lack of articles "Do or Die Season for Chix and Nailey"? They've had a full year to clean house, evaluate and improve their coaching staff and scouting staff, two drafts, and two free agencies.

What should our expectations be there? If the Bills don't significantly improve the record from 4-11, does the buck stop with Fitzy - or does the buck stop somewhere else?

he'll perform or he won't. QB is not a position where anyone other than bottom teams are going to give you many years to show what you've got. I've been known to suggest that we might even set some expectations for coaches and general managers (9 wins).

Whatevs.

It is a team game. Good teams have a defense that picks up some slack for offensive mistakes. Expecting a QB to be the magic bullet that "keeps the team in playoff contention thru December" seems like laying a lot on the guy - any guy, when last year's team was 4-11 and had a revolving door at OL and an unbelievably bad rushing defense.

Put Brady or Manning in Buffalo, does anyone really want to assert we would have been in the playoff picture in December last year?

Seriously?

I guess what I wonder about is the lack of articles "Do or Die Season for Chix and Nailey"? They've had a full year to clean house, evaluate and improve their coaching staff and scouting staff, two drafts, and two free agencies.

What should our expectations be there? If the Bills don't significantly improve the record from 4-11, does the buck stop with Fitzy - or does the buck stop somewhere else?

Maybe, but i would have expected either of them to clearly be able to beat out Trent in training camp. I would expect them to win a few more games at least.

QBs cant do it all, but they certainly do the most.

Whatevs.

Seriously?

I would be my life on it. Without a doubt the Bills would. Does anyone realize Indy's defense was just about as bad as Buffalo's defense, and they had almost all their WRs dinged up all season long and the OL did not perform well for them.

I would be my life on it. Without a doubt the Bills would. Does anyone realize Indy's defense was just about as bad as Buffalo's defense, and they had almost all their WRs dinged up all season long and the OL did not perform well for them.

For the record...I have seen Payton Manning misfire on throws PLENTY of times....its just that he comes back with a amazing throw after that

And for Brady....no one ever touches him.....he gets great protection

I am not disputing that the team needs to start thinking about who is going to have the reins after Fitz.....but lets put it this way....if EVERYONE on the team played the same way as Fitz does we would have made the playoffs last year. Fitz is def not the weak link on this team.......no matter how you slice it.

For the record...I have seen Payton Manning misfire on throws PLENTY of times....its just that he comes back with a amazing throw after that

And for Brady....no one ever touches him.....he gets great protection

I am not disputing that the team needs to start thinking about who is going to have the reins after Fitz.....but lets put it this way....if EVERYONE on the team played the same way as Fitz does we would have made the playoffs last year. Fitz is def not the weak link on this team.......no matter how you slice it.

Fitz gave the ball away 20 times in 13 games, he is a very unreliable player at a position where you need someone reliable.

Fitz gave the ball away 20 times in 13 games, he is a very unreliable player at a position where you need someone reliable.

Your statement does not tell all......he gave away the ball 20 times? Really?

- How many of those fumbles were from a blind side hit....because in certain situations QB's do tend to give up the ball there even the best ones

- How many of those Interceptions were form a bad wide receiver route? Keep in mind (and it has been shown on film right here) Fitz throws the ball WHERE THE WIDE RECEIVER IS SUPPOSED TO BE......so bad route equals bad things

- How many of those Interceptions were Fitz trying to force a throw into a bad spot because we were a. losing or b. the defense couldnt stop anybody so he felt he HAD to try and force it rather then play it safe.

Lets see what Fitz does with the ball this year should he actually have a solid defense backing him up and he feels it is ok to punt knowing the defense is gonna give it back to him.

I would bet my life on it. Without a doubt the Bills would. Does anyone realize Indy's defense was just about as bad as Buffalo's defense, and they had almost all their WRs dinged up all season long and the OL did not perform well for them.

Your smoking crack if you think that last years Buffalo Bills team would have made the playoffs with Payton Manning at QB, he would have been knocked out of the season early on because he can't escape a pass rush once the pocket breaks down. I'd say he would have been toast by game 4 against the Jets. Fitz was the leading rusher in that game....Manning would have been taken off on a stretcher. Both Manning and Tom Brady had a 1.0 yards per rush avg, in 18 attempts he made 18 yards, yea that's right a 1.0 YPR avg. Fitz had a 6.7 YPR which was as good as Mike Vick

From what I saw the Bills O line was one of the worst in the NFL last year so don't even try and compare the lines. Did Indy have 4 different players at RT, and did they have to find them off the waiver wire?

Not to mention how bad that Bills defense was, the opposing teams MO was run the ball till they have a lead and then pin their ears back blitzing Fitz. Last time I looked Indy's D was 25th against the run, not worst in the league, worst in the history of the Buffalo Bills

I honestly don't know why your on this crusade to crucify Fitz, the guy probably won't stay healthy and play every game this season with the current O line players. Once he does go down then you can really start bitching about his replacement. Then next year you can B word about the rookie the Bills draft that will get killed because this staff of morons still didn't upgrade the line.

Edited by Harvey lives

Its not just make or break for Fitz but also for the Bills. If they sign him they will have to pay starter's money. Thats a lot. Six years maybe 45-55 big ones. For that to happen Fitz needs to prove that he is a franchise guy. That is a tall order for him (not saying it impossible, just that its unlikely). If he doesn't prove that, then the Bills are without a QB. Even if they get to draft a promising prospect at the position in 2012, he will be prematurely thrown into action. We have all seen what that can do to a young QB. Right now I don't feel good about this situation.