Working in Your Underwear

ajzepp

I am an RN by profession, but due to a few back injuries and being fed up with getting bit by the elderly, I took at "desk job" in February of last year with one of the largest insurance companies on earth. I do telephonic case management where I spend my day providing health information and working with folks on improving their health. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but it's a nice break from the hospital and it pays well.

Anyway, I was just approved for a "work-at-home" schedule starting tomorrow. It starts off where you get two shifts from home each week, and if your productivity improves then they eventually let you spend all week there. The hardest thing about this job has been adapting to cubicle life, so it will be nice to have a bit of a break from that. I was wondering if there were any other at-home workin folks who could chime in and offer some advice. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it, but I do have a few coworkers who prefer to just come in to the office.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been working at home for 5 years now with a very large Computer Outsourcing company. The best advice I can give you is stay disciplined, 8-5 are office hours and nothing else. I do the occasional household chores when there is a slow period for my work, but generally I'm pretty good at keeping to those hours. Its not a vacation, you're there to work.

I do have a second personal computer to check out TSW and other stuff, but hey, can't be constant work.

I have been working at home for 5 years now with a very large Computer Outsourcing company. The best advice I can give you is stay disciplined, 8-5 are office hours and nothing else. I do the occasional household chores when there is a slow period for my work, but generally I'm pretty good at keeping to those hours. Its not a vacation, you're there to work.

I do have a second personal computer to check out TSW and other stuff, but hey, can't be constant work.

Cool, thanks. I think that will be a challenge for me at first, definitely. I really want to transition fully to a home office, so I need to make sure I stay on top of my work...maybe even exceed expectations. You must enjoy not having to worry about a commute, eh? I'm going to enjoy getting rid of that a couple times per week.

No commute is awesome, I only have to fill up my car once every two months. Plus I get to sleep in until 7:30 or so.

The one downside is, I find myself working late into the night more often.

No commute is awesome, I only have to fill up my car once every two months. Plus I get to sleep in until 7:30 or so.

The one downside is, I find myself working late into the night more often.

Once every two months??? Wow...lol That's a big savings considering the price of gas...very nice!

In a month I will start working from home. The thing I've heard most consistently sis being disciplined with time and to have space that is somehow separated from your "everyday" living.

That makes sense...I'm gonna try to create a small office space, so hopefully that will work.

Nice to see other people getting to sleep in a bit longer, saving gas, and enjoying comforts of making money from hom :thumbsup:

Ive been telecommuting for the past few years. It's "ok" but not as great as some would expect. The MAIN tip is to have a separate, dedicated workspace that you don't normally spend time in off hours. That will let you feel like you are still able to delineate between work time and home time.

I wont lie, it can get kinda depressing after a while. Before I had the home office setup and was working from my couch, even when I got a ton done, at the end of the day I still felt like a shlub because I was still in my PJs and still on the couch.

The best advice I can give is to stay as disciplined as possible with sticking to a routine like you are actually leaving the house for an office. Get up, shower, get dressed, etc. every morning.

It's really easy to just walk over to the laptop straight from bed, or worse STILL IN BED, and work like that all day. Sounds relaxing, but youll end up hating yourself.

Now, obviously, the biggest plus for you and I is that we miss the Atlanta traffic. That is a big bonus and time saver for sure.

More information here, it's pretty dead on:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

Edited by DrDareustein

In a month I will start working from home. The thing I've heard most consistently sis being disciplined with time and to have space that is somehow separated from your "everyday" living.

I've held a number of 'virtual office' positions - at times you miss the social interaction of an office environment, but nothing beats being able to wake up, scratch yourself, wipe the sleep from your eyes, and instantly be 'at the office' - still in boxer-shorts, mattress-head and all. B-)

The toughest thing is disciplining yourself to actually keep working non-stop during 'working hours', and not abuse your freedom allowing yourself to to run errands, goof-off, etc. Some peers of mine need a work-space completely separate from their living space (a basement office or converted empty bedroom), while others can discipline themselves well-enough to take their lap-top and wireless phone on the patio or poolside. Some, at least in the beginning, would even continue to dress in suit & tie just to make themselves feel as though they were actually 'at work'.

Fortunately, I did not suffer that adjustment at all, easily adjusting to and enjoying working in shorts, swim trunks, naked, whatever (save for the occasional video con-call).

Of course, it helps that I'm a confirmed bachelor with no wife, kids, or any home distractions - other than a large-screen TV, a well-stocked bar, and a love of golf!

Edited by The Senator

Um....just for the record AJ......

I do NOT want to work in your underwear.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

LOL, duly noted!

Ive been telecommuting for the past few years. It's "ok" but not as great as some would expect. The MAIN tip is to have a separate, dedicated workspace that you don't normally spend time in off hours. That will let you feel like you are still able to delineate between work time and home time.

I wont lie, it can get kinda depressing after a while. Before I had the home office setup and was working from my couch, even when I got a ton done, at the end of the day I still felt like a shlub because I was still in my PJs and still on the couch.

The best advice I can give is to stay as disciplined as possible with sticking to a routine like you are actually leaving the house for an office. Get up, shower, get dressed, etc. every morning.

It's really easy to just walk over to the laptop straight from bed, or worse STILL IN BED, and work like that all day. Sounds relaxing, but youll end up hating yourself.

Now, obviously, the biggest plus for you and I is that we miss the Atlanta traffic. That is a big bonus and time saver for sure.

More information here, it's pretty dead on:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

Dude, I even work off hours and I still hate the traffic lol. I appreciate the points you made, for sure. In fact, I remember back this past winter when I had to work a day at home d/t the weather...I worked an 8 hr day, but when it was over I felt sort of tired of being in the house. So i can see how that could get a little depressing. Maybe I'll set up shop on the deck when it's a nice day so I can have some fresh air from time to time. Seems like you guys mention the importance of keeping a routine, so will certainly be mindful of that

I've held a number of 'virtual office' positions - at times you miss the social interaction of an office environment, but nothing beats being able to wake up, scratch yourself, wipe the sleep from your eyes, and instantly be 'at the office' - still in boxer-shorts, mattress-head and all. B-)

The toughest thing is disciplining yourself to actually keep working non-stop during 'working hours', and not abuse your freedom allowing yourself to to run errands, goof-off, etc. Some peers of mine need a work-space completely separate from their living space (a basement office or converted empty bedroom), while others can discipline themselves well-enough to take their lap-top and wireless phone on the patio or poolside. Some, at least in the beginning, would even continue to dress in suit & tie just to make themselves feel as though they were actually 'at work'.

Fortunately, I did not suffer that adjustment at all, easily adjusting to and enjoying working in shorts, swim trunks, naked, whatever.

(Of course, it helps that I'm a confirmed bachelor with no wife, kids, or any home distractions - other than a large-screen TV, a well-stocked bar, and a love of golf!)

:lol: Well I'm sure hoping my experience is more similar to yours than different!

I'm the sort of person who can literally be curing existence when I have to get up, get showered, get dressed, rush to work in traffic, and then put on a happy face around others. So what you said in your first sentence is A-OK with me, brother lol.

This is great advice...really appreciate it guys!

Wish I could find something like this that was part time that isn't a scam....I envy you guys

Apparently it's quite a cost savings to the employer in cases such as mine, so I wouldnt' be surprised if this sort of thing becomes more common. My dad's last two corporate positions were both work-at-home, and I know a few other peopel who do customer service type of work from home.

I generally work from home twice a week. It's great to break up the commuting week, sleep later and have flexibility to take care of non-work stuff if I have to during the day. For me, having a couple days during the week where I get to see my kids for more than a few minutes at night is a huge perk. Of course the flexibility works both ways -- I frequently work in the evenings/weekends depending on how much I have to do.

Yes, setting yourself up in a home office type environment is good, especially if you are the type of person who needs a lot of structure to be productive (or if you have wife/kids around to create distraction). But if you live alone, no reason you can't work from the couch IMO.

Apparently it's quite a cost savings to the employer in cases such as mine, so I wouldnt' be surprised if this sort of thing becomes more common. My dad's last two corporate positions were both work-at-home, and I know a few other peopel who do customer service type of work from home.

Would love to know who the customer service people work for.

I generally work from home twice a week. It's great to break up the commuting week, sleep later and have flexibility to take care of non-work stuff if I have to during the day. For me, having a couple days during the week where I get to see my kids for more than a few minutes at night is a huge perk. Of course the flexibility works both ways -- I frequently work in the evenings/weekends depending on how much I have to do.

Yes, setting yourself up in a home office type environment is good, especially if you are the type of person who needs a lot of structure to be productive (or if you have wife/kids around to create distraction). But if you live alone, no reason you can't work from the couch IMO.

I'm thinking twice, maybe three times per week should be perfect. I'll have the option of working all my hours at home eventually, but not sure if that would be overkill. That's awesome how that works out with you and your kids...it's great to have a job with flexibility :thumbsup:

I have two empty rooms in my house that you can set up office in. Just sayin'. :D

If only you lived a bit closer....:)

Would love to know who the customer service people work for.

I'll see if I can find out...I wonder if there are actual job listings for home based positions. I had never heard of this type of position in my field until one of my former staffers told me about it, so I'm thinking there are probably lots of opportunities out there...just a matter of finding them. If I come across anything that looks good, I'll either post it here or send you a PM.

I started my new gig last monday and figured what the hell, so i showed up in my boxer briefs...who knew that was frowned against...

LOL!