What other pro teams can learn from Mavs win

Hplarrm

1. Teams win championships rather than money or stars.

Money helps a lot and though being rich is not the key it is better to be rich than poor. This being noted though the ultimate determining factor in this championship was that the Mavs played like a team and that loaded Heat played like a team where Wade was looking to LeBron, LeBron was looking to Wade, Bosh played a pivotal role but was not too pivotal and in the end the alleged team with it all lost on their home floor.

The Bills should learn from this that we need to be about building a team rather than focusing on doing whatever we can to find that one franchise guru.

2. The key to this game in my view was when Dallas's big start Nowitzki simply sucked (I think he was 1 for 11 at one point), the Mavs were up by two. You really need a stud so do not get me wrong, Nowitzki deserved the overall MVP because of his cumulative stats and crunch time during the series when he had a 102 fever he overcame these problems to lead the team in scoring. However, it was the team's acquisition and use of Terry who chucked in 19 while usually stalwart Nowitzki was slumping that made the big difference in this game right now.

3. Owner are best seen and not heard.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that the resurgence of the Mavs coincided with flamboyant owner Mark Cuban shutting up. However Cuban's postgame interview remarks were still right on target when he kept pointing to the players as the true stars on this team.

The Bills and Mr. Ralph should take from this that the more Mr. Ralph hires actual football professionals and shuts up and gets out of the way the better. Players do come and do go, but the players we have right here and right now are the game. If their side prevails in their lawsuit we have a game. If the owners prevail then the off-field game continues to be the focus and that ain't football.

Money helps a lot and though being rich is not the key it is better to be rich than poor. This being noted though the ultimate determining factor in this championship was that the Mavs played like a team and that loaded Heat played like a team where Wade was looking to LeBron, LeBron was looking to Wade, Bosh played a pivotal role but was not too pivotal and in the end the alleged team with it all lost on their home floor.

The Bills should learn from this that we need to be about building a team rather than focusing on doing whatever we can to find that one franchise guru.

2. The key to this game in my view was when Dallas's big start Nowitzki simply sucked (I think he was 1 for 11 at one point), the Mavs were up by two. You really need a stud so do not get me wrong, Nowitzki deserved the overall MVP because of his cumulative stats and crunch time during the series when he had a 102 fever he overcame these problems to lead the team in scoring. However, it was the team's acquisition and use of Terry who chucked in 19 while usually stalwart Nowitzki was slumping that made the big difference in this game right now.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that the resurgence of the Mavs coincided with flamboyant owner Mark Cuban shutting up. However Cuban's postgame interview remarks were still right on target when he kept pointing to the players as the true stars on this team.

The Bills and Mr. Ralph should take from this that the more Mr. Ralph hires actual football professionals and shuts up and gets out of the way the better. Players do come and do go, but the players we have right here and right now are the game. If their side prevails in their lawsuit we have a game. If the owners prevail then the off-field game continues to be the focus and that ain't football.

Great topic!! Excellent insight!! I nominate my "Cowgirls" to learn

from the Mavericks and become Cowboys again.

The Bills and Mr. Ralph should take from this that the more Mr. Ralph hires actual football professionals and shuts up and gets out of the way the better.

Please cite one example of Ralph Wilson "shooting his mouth off" like Mark Cuban. I can't think of one in 50 years.

PTR

Those stars are the favorites in Vegas to win next year and will be (of there is basketball) for the next 5 years and likely will win at least 3 of the next 5.

Translation, you need stars. If not you won't even make the playoffs.

Perhaps there is a lesson that true stars are those who make the players around them better and allow them to step up and shine at the right moments. To me the difference between Manning and Brady is that Manning is hands down a better QB in virtually every aspect of the game. However, Brady somehow makes the players around him play better and you see the difference in SB wins produced.

Jordan was a great player not merely due to his unparalleled physical gifts but because he somehow got his "supporting cast" to play their best and at times above their heads. Rich is better than poor so you wanna be rich. You do want stars.

However, while I will be surprised if LeBron never wins a championship I will not be shocked after seeing them brushed aside somewhat easily by a better in team in 7 game (excuse me 6) series.

Manning is arguably the best QB ever. However, even with the best GM in the game putting together a great ST game, the best kicker in the game, an outstanding WR, and all Manning's team was clearly not good enough to win even 1 SB. I took getting the best defensive minded HC in the NFL to put some stud players like Freeney and Saunders into a position where they finally one one SB.

Stars are necessary but clearly no where near sufficient to win an SB.

Even more ironically since under the salary cap its hard to be great everywhere a team likely has to choose where they are going to be weak. The 85 Bears and the Ravens led by Lewis and Trent Dilfer (for gosh sake) indicate that when you look for your start D may be a better place to have your star than O.

Please cite one example of Ralph Wilson "shooting his mouth off" like Mark Cuban. I can't think of one in 50 years.

PTR

My Jerry Jones has "shot his mouth off" also but it hasn't made any difference with my "Girls".

The keys to this game were Terry's great shooting and Dirk's 18 second half points.

Terry was "aquired" Terry 7 years ago. Without Dirk, this team wouldn't have won a single game. He is their star.

The "resurgence" of the Mavs had nothing to do with it's owner's silence or lack of it. You're just reiterating your goofy rant about NFL owners. It makes no sense here.

PTR

Right Mr. Raloh is no Mark Cuban in terms of shooting his mouth off (outside of time to time examples where he did things like declare that RJ should start for us after a Bills team led by him made mincemeat of an Indy team which had given up after Bennett got hurt and IRed and the scoreboard showed that even if the beat the Bills it would do no good. A moment where he bought an ad to whine about the fans not buying tickets after his team was producing a bad product was another unfortunate exercise of his constitutional right to be an idiot).

However, I agree that Mr. Ralph has not shot his mouth off like Cuban he has consistently done worse as an owner uding his owners right to manipulate things on field or being a clear part of mismanaging relationships with the football professionals.

Only a part of Mr. Ralph being worse than Mark Cuban ever was includes:

1. Making a handshake deal with Kelly to reward him in future seasons when even me as an outside idiot could see he was pretty much done. Mr. Ralph made a demonstrably bad football judgment and we are still paying the price to day after time and again we looked for the new Jimbo and made mistakes that were either Ralph driven or he should have known from reaching for TC, to the RJ contract, to Billy Joe Hobert, and so on. Even when others can be directly blamed, some of this only Ralph could do and the buck stops with him anyway if you want to blame TD, Marv, Jauron or someone he hired.

2. He repeatedly has had toxic relationships with his key people leading to their leaving the team and the Bills having to scramble for help (who then leave the team). Among the toxic relationships he deserves at least half the blame for are"

Polian- Great GM who gets a lot of the credit for building the Bills winners and who won an SB after leaving- fired by Mr. Ralph

Wade- Fired by Mr. Ralph who then tilted at a windmill not to pay him and he got rejected whenever told him he would be.

Butler- Left the team high and dry (and may have even intentionally tanked the Flowers draft but his leaving was unseen and mismanged by Ralph

TS- A perfect example of Ralph needing to scramble because he mismanaged the Butler situation but then he ended up having to fire the guy he hired.

Levy- Another case where after he canned Polian and TD this was the best he could do and some blame him for a lot during his brief reign

I agree that Mr. Ralph deserves a ton of credit for keeping the Bills here when there were allegedly greener pastures in LA or e;sewhere.

However with this realistic great thanks need to come a recognition that Ralph was a worse owner than even that idiot Cuban in many ways. The Mavs win provided a welcome demonstration this year that Cuban had no public role with the team either running his mouth or running the team. I hope Ralph adopts that attitude.

To the extent that the current denial of pro football to the fans is his doing he may be killing the Bills chances once again.

My favorite stat that I heard on the radio this morning, don't know how accurate it is. 0 players on the roster have ever won a championship before.

Well deserved by all of them... at least the ones that played anyways. :D

Edited by The Wiz

The Heat are not loaded by any means. They lack a true starting center and point guard. Also , the bench is very weak. The Mavs by all accounts are the loaded team. Jason Terry comes off the bench for 27 , Stevenson nailed 3's all series long , and JJ Barrea was unreal. Plus, you can throw in near all-pro efforts from Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler. The Heat were simply overmatched. 3 guys alone can't win it, but if Pat Riley can manage a true center and an upgrade over Bibby/Chalmers at point guard , this team will be perennial Finals contenders.

Perhaps there is a lesson that true stars are those who make the players around them better and allow them to step up and shine at the right moments. To me the difference between Manning and Brady is that Manning is hands down a better QB in virtually every aspect of the game. However, Brady somehow makes the players around him play better and you see the difference in SB wins produced.

Jordan was a great player not merely due to his unparalleled physical gifts but because he somehow got his "supporting cast" to play their best and at times above their heads. Rich is better than poor so you wanna be rich. You do want stars.

However, while I will be surprised if LeBron never wins a championship I will not be shocked after seeing them brushed aside somewhat easily by a better in team in 7 game (excuse me 6) series.

Manning is arguably the best QB ever. However, even with the best GM in the game putting together a great ST game, the best kicker in the game, an outstanding WR, and all Manning's team was clearly not good enough to win even 1 SB. I took getting the best defensive minded HC in the NFL to put some stud players like Freeney and Saunders into a position where they finally one one SB.

Stars are necessary but clearly no where near sufficient to win an SB.

Even more ironically since under the salary cap its hard to be great everywhere a team likely has to choose where they are going to be weak. The 85 Bears and the Ravens led by Lewis and Trent Dilfer (for gosh sake) indicate that when you look for your start D may be a better place to have your star than O.

Perhaps there is no lesson here. Or at least no lesson to be found in your post. No one has ever disputed the merit of star players, or their effect on their teammates play. The lesson that can be learned from the Heat experiment, and one that has been learned repeatedly in other professional sports, is that star power without chemistry does not guarantee results. The Mavs are a great team and the sum is greater than their parts. The Heat are also a great team, but Wade, Bosh and Lebron failed to realize their full potential. The sum is less than their respective parts.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the rest of your post. Were you going for some kind of stream of consciousness thing? Is it a riddle?

The Heat are not loaded by any means. They lack a true starting center and point guard. Also , the bench is very weak. The Mavs by all accounts are the loaded team. Jason Terry comes off the bench for 27 , Stevenson nailed 3's all series long , and JJ Barrea was unreal. Plus, you can throw in near all-pro efforts from Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler. The Heat were simply overmatched. 3 guys alone can't win it, but if Pat Riley can manage a true center and an upgrade over Bibby/Chalmers at point guard , this team will be perennial Finals contenders.

The problem is that Heat has little cap room to work with: Heat salary cap status. Furthermore, NBA owners are trying to push for hard cap like NHL. If that happens, it'll make Heat even harder to improve their team.

The problem is that Heat has little cap room to work with: Heat salary cap status. Furthermore, NBA owners are trying to push for hard cap like NHL. If that happens, it'll make Heat even harder to improve their team.

Mike Miller most likely will be moved. It's very possible to package Miller/Anthony with a draft pick(s) to land a top center/point guard while staying within the cap. The Heat do have options on how to acquire a center/point guard to improve.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the rest of your post. Were you going for some kind of stream of consciousness thing? Is it a riddle?

I actually have a haiku version this post which I will put up when I get the syllabication worked out.

I think the real lesson to be learned is that the players shoudl start their own league called the NewBA, with their own money, and get rid of the owners.

Good one! Give hem a minute, I'm sure that's coming.

My favorite part is that we should eliminate all the owners and replace them with......new owners.