Pryor's Attorney confirms no more The Ohio State

A Trade school is a good option for some people and a minor league is a good options for others.

NCAA Div I football is a minor league for the NFL, run as an amateur sport. The contradictory nature of the league causes these scandals. We all know its a matter of time before there is another USC and Ohio State. What's the punishment?

But don't you think that part of the financial success of college football is the amateur/scholastic aspect of the players/atmosphere (or at least the outward appearance of)? I think if players start getting paid for playing football there would be a major backlash among fans.

What these 5 star entitled recruits who don't want to go to college if they're not receiving cash can do is find a sponsor like Nike/Rebok or whatever and band together to participate in a 3 year training camp where they are free to make whatever appearances they want, maybe they can even make a reality show out of it. They can train together, do film study together, and scrimmage together.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't you think that part of the financial success of college football is the amateur/scholastic aspect of the players/atmosphere (or at least the outward appearance of)? I think if players start getting paid for playing football there would be a major backlash among fans.

What these 5 star entitled recruits who don't want to go to college if they're not receiving cash can do is find a sponsor like Nike/Rebok or whatever and band together to participate in a 3 year training camp where they are free to make whatever appearances they want, maybe they can even make a reality show out of it. They can train together, do film study together, and scrimmage together.

Because I don't believe in the fantasy aspect of ameature players, I'm not a good judge if it will hurt. I don't believe any bit of the scholastic atmosphere would die down.

My university paid me $8.50 to work-study at the Bursar's office. I didn't feel like less of a student as a result.

Giving DI scholarship athletes $50 an hour to play and practice then throwing the death penalty at any program with a loss of revenue associated with death penalty would get rid of most of this nonsense. With harsher penalty that have teeth the Universities will have to police themselves much better. An autographed glove goes up in a local diner and that player is going to have to explain how it got there to the university for fear of losing out on Billions in TV revenue.

I had mostly a full ride and a meal plan and I desperately needed that $8.50 an hour Job.

I can't get upset with these kids that look for a couple Hundo hear and there. Pryor does look to be a different animal. If the reports about the cars are true, he was reckless and went too far. Even still Pryor's actions weren't 100s of thousands of dollars in benes. Maybe 10s of thousands.

When it comes to the Nike league. I'm all for it. The struggles of the UFL show the realty of creating a new minor league football league.

So maybe when we all have jet packs to fly to work there will be another viable option for the 5 stars that want to get paid but right now there isn't a viable option.

Edited by Why So Serious?

One job I wouldn't want is a Division I college football coach. Having to constantly kiss-up to seventeen year old recruits like Pryor and their families in between baby sitting the ego maniacs and hoping they might just grow up on your watch before a scandal takes place. Nah, I'd pass. What should they do put ankle bracelets on these guys? Having talked to friends in Columbus, they said long ago that Pryor was going to be a problem. There were only questions as to when, where and how. The Bills DO NOT need such a cancer on the TEAM. Pryor is a ME player not a TEAM player. He is not a starting NFL QB. Tight end would suit his skill set but not his ego. In the NFL, Pryor will find that most everybody is fast. He won't get away with his runs as much. He is an erratic passer. Sometimes, he threw mindless heaves into coverage while other times he couldn't hit simple, wide-open dumpoffs. Pryor's ego is too big for the CFL. He is bad news.

To be fair, there are a lot of mature, balanced student athletes who happen to get their diplomas and lead fulfilling lives. Those guys (and gals) don't make it into the headlines. I think those are the folks the Bills should be angling for. Merriman? A crap shoot but give it a (last) chance.

Cris Carter was also a supplemental pick to the Eagles back in the late '80s. Carter also had some NCAA issues. Then he had some Buddy Ryan issues. Then he grew up and had a solid career.

There are some very good posts in this thread, well done!

So the inevitable question...

Assuming there'll be a supplemental draft, would you give up a 7th-round pick in April 2012 to put in a 7th-round bid for Pryor in this year's supplemental draft?

(I'm thinking 'maybe' - :unsure: - we seem to bat around .500 in round 7 anyway; for every Demetrius Bell there's a C.J. Ah You...for every Steve Johnson, a Kyle Calloway)

Edited by The Senator

Because I don't believe in the fantasy aspect of ameature players, I'm not a good judge if it will hurt. I don't believe any bit of the scholastic atmosphere would die down.

My university paid me $8.50 to work-study at the Bursar's office. I didn't feel like less of a student as a result.

Giving DI scholarship athletes $50 an hour to play and practice then throwing the death penalty at any program with a loss of revenue associated with death penalty would get rid of most of this nonsense. With harsher penalty that have teeth the Universities will have to police themselves much better. An autographed glove goes up in a local diner and that player is going to have to explain how it got there to the university for fear of losing out on Billions in TV revenue.

I had mostly a full ride and a meal plan and I desperately needed that $8.50 an hour Job.

I can't get upset with these kids that look for a couple Hundo hear and there. Pryor does look to be a different animal. If the reports about the cars are true, he was reckless and went too far. Even still Pryor's actions weren't 100s of thousands of dollars in benes. Maybe 10s of thousands.

When it comes to the Nike league. I'm all for it. The struggles of the UFL show the realty of creating a new minor league football league.

So maybe when we all have jet packs to fly to work there will be another viable option for the 5 stars that want to get paid but right now there isn't a viable option.

Why $50? Why not pay them what every other working student gets paid at their university? Why does a football player need upwards of $1000 a week?

If the goal is to "get rid of this nonsense", why not have the death penalty for such infractions right now?

Why $50? Why not pay them what every other working student gets paid at their university? Why does a football player need upwards of $1000 a week?

Sure. Whatever the NCAA deems is fair over the current $0.00.

I'm just throwing $50.00 out there because it seems economically possible based on the revenue the players help to generate.

If the goal is to "get rid of this nonsense", why not have the death penalty for such infractions right now?

Sure go ahead, I'm cool with that too.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• 4 weeks later...

Sure. Whatever the NCAA deems is fair over the current $0.00.

I'm just throwing $50.00 out there because it seems economically possible based on the revenue the players help to generate.

Sure go ahead, I'm cool with that too.

Only 50% of football programs are currently profitable. Of those, only 14 atletic departments are profitable - where do you get the money from?

I could not disagree more. We can argue all day about whether or not college athletes should or should not be paid. But the fact of the matter is right now they are not, and Pryor has been behaving in a manner that is blatently opposite the current rules.

When Pryor showed up to work out after Tressel stepped down in another new "loaner' car, that told me all I needed to know: He's not capable of being a starting QB in the NFL. Don't wast a pick.

There would be no one eligible for the draft if we precluded athletes that were paid.

If the goal is to 'get rid of this nonsense', how about just ending athletic scholarships and admissions leniency for athletes entirely? I don't see a lot of football scandals in the Ivy league.

Now here is a guy you'd have to consider grabbing if he comes out in the supplemental draft. Was listening to Cowherd today and although I disagree with most of his analogies I believe he hit spot on with Pryor. A poor man's Cam Newton who has improved during college career in terms of his completion percentage and is considered a coachable player. Also look at his win loss record and his size 6'6'' 245.

Given a few years to develop under Fitz this maybe the QB of the future. I believe Pryor is in the Big Ben, Donte Culpepper, Cam Newton class of big dudes who can sling the rock. While Pryor doesn't have Cam's foot speed he was once considered a big possession wide receiver qb to wr convert like Arkansas Matt Jones, a guy who had decent straightline speed and good hands.

Please, Pryor will be an even bigger bust than Cam Newton.