Fox Sports Ranking of NFL Franchises...

Not much surprise here...though I diagree with giving the owner a 1...unless a 0 was not possible....ON paper, they are worse than I think they will be on the field....

32. Buffalo Bills: 14.5

Owner: 1

Very, very generous rating... a negative number would be more in order.

Not much surprise here...though I diagree with giving the owner a 1...unless a 0 was not possible....ON paper, they are worse than I think they will be on the field....

Quarterback: 3.5

Coach: 3

Front office: 1

Coaching staff: 4

Intangibles: 2

I feel so terrible for the amazing and diehard Bills fans. They deserve an in-touch owner and a team with a plan. And the Bills put in pay cuts for all employees and cut pensions during the lockout. Awesome.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-are-best-nfl-organization-in-2011-rankings-060111

I agree and Im a diehard Bills fan! I wrote a long post earlier about the Bills and the circle of self-destruction that their franchise philosophy is built upon when dealing with player personnel. Trying to keep it short somehow...the main thing is that the Bills often lose their players to free agency (this year with the lack of talent in their free agent class this may be a good thing!) When they do lose players like Nate Clements, Anwoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Sam Cowhart, Leonhard, Jabari Greer etc..etc...instead of adding to the talent base of the team, and building depth they draft players to fill holes that they self-inflict. The only constant the entire duration is the owner Ralph Wilson as we've gone through GM's, coaches, & personnel people throughout.

Buddy Nix only seeks marginal talent to plug holes in free agency according to some of his past interviews on the subject. He doesn't put much stock in free agency and shys away from big name free agents. Although teams like Indianapolis, New England, and the NY Jets utilize free agency all the time successfully! It's like getting an extra draft pick (someone else's) who is already broke in and developed! Not a bad thing in my eyes compared to us developing Jabari Greer or Nate Clements only to watch him utilize his developed talent for another team! Sure, you probably avoid players like T.O., Shawn Merriman, etc...who are either at the end of their careers or often injured. Unfortuantely when we dabble in free agency it seems that we choose the latter route more often than not, and usually overpaying in the wrong spot!

The successful teams are typically successful or soon to be successful again after a down year because they are well oiled machines and have good ownership, but most importantly they have the GM's that have a recipe for success! Bill Polian is a great example of this as he built the Colts utilizing the same philosophy as he did in Buffalo in the early 90's. Unfortunately the perrenial losers are typically in a similar spot repeatedly and the Bills is on that list of teams that dont get it done year after year!

Its also a shame that the Bills..Ralph chose to not pay some of the employees!

I feel so terrible for the amazing and diehard Bills fans. They deserve an in-touch owner and a team with a plan. And the Bills put in pay cuts for all employees and cut pensions during the lockout. Awesome.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-are-best-nfl-organization-in-2011-rankings-060111

Can't believe that I am getting sucked into this one. What a crazy rating.

Here is my shot at it:

Buffalo Bills: 33

Owner: 6 - Hall of Fame owner has kept the team in one place for 50 years. Consistently votes to maintain a competitive league for the small market teams and for the fans benefit. He has made several key front office errors, and his leadership has slipped in the last decade.

Quarterback: 4 - Fitz provides great leadership but his numbers indicate a middle of the road QB. No franchise backup in the wings.

Coach: 6 - Gailey is a proven excellent offensive mind but the jury is still out as a HC.

Front office: 3 - Has been very poor for the past decade but recent improvments have been made with the addition of Nix and Whaley. Still too early to judge the current FO.

Coaching staff: 7 - Adding Wannstadt is a key plus.

Intangibles: 7 - Great fans, excellent marketing, college atmosphere at the homegames. The stadium could use some upgrades. The Toronto experiment makes money but is failing.

Edited by Bob in STL

owner:0.8(little danny is 0.1)(Rooneys 10.0)

QB:5.0--love Fitz altho I realize he doesn't have much talent

Coach:6.0--Gailey did a good job last year

FO:1(would have been 0.1 due to signing Kelsay-but at least we got a real D lineman in the draft)

Coaching Staff: unfair to judge them given our horrid talent level on D--but I'd say a 4.0

Intangibles:1.2

sheesh I agree with the guy a lot

I agree with everything you said, other than the highlighted part...if you watch national media types talk about the Bills, it is very clear, more often than not, that most know almost nothing about the current franchise, but base their conclusions and opinions on yesterdays newspapers. It's like when you pick up one of those "NFL preview" mags, and they talk about players that aren't even on the team anymore.

We notice when they give inaccurate information about our team, just as I am sure that fans of about 2/3's of the teams in the NFL notice when their team is talked about. That is because, to the national media, there are really only about 8-10 teams that matter, the rest are irrelevant...which leads to the low "intangibles" rating. Many fans analyze the Bills with their hearts, not their heads...but they are fans, that is what they are prone to doing...but I would hazard to guess, there are at least a dozen or so people that post here, that could give a more informative, and honest evaluation of the Buffalo Bills.

For me, jury is still out on Buddy Nix as a GM...but I like the coach.

I take it you've probably never listened to Sirius NFL Radio. The analysts there do a great job covering the Bills (and all the teams). If you listen to Adam Schein's interviews with Ryan Fitzpatrick over the past couple of months, you can tell he knows what's going on with the team, and that he hopes Fitzpatrick succeeds.

Lots of people hate Adam Schein for his over-the-top, enthusiastic style, but he's absolutely knowledgable.

I hate Adam Schein because he grunts out random words in the middle of sentences and tries to be Chris Berman, and does very poorly at it. I dont like his analysis at all. Almost everyone else on Sirius NFL Radio is great, and somehow this clown ended up in the middle of it.

Dan Snyder and Al Davis are taking a lot of heat here. But I'm not sure what's worse, an owner that wants to win desperately but doesn't have a clue how to go about it, or an owner who appears not to care one way or another as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Have to agree that Oakland would need to be below us. They make terrible trades and first round picks. Al Davis is a complete kook. He runs coaches out of town on a regular basis even when they are making progress. They went 6-0 in the AFC West last season! Carolina sucks, but they were good just 2-3 years ago-We have sucked for 11. Cinci is a mess, but were in the playoffs 2 seasons ago. What about Miami? They have zero plan, and are up and down each year and havent had a QB since Marino-They suck too. San Fran? When was the last time they mattered? This is a cyclical business. We have blown forever, but we are inching along. Trust that they day will come where we'll be good, and NY jets and Patriots will suck again. It is just the way it goes

I kinda agree with the list. From 2000 to present:

Buffalo Bills -1 winning season, 0 playoff appearances

Oakland Raiders - 3 winning seasons, 3 division titles, 1 Super Bowl Appearance and an 8-8 record in 2010. I agree that Al Davis is a complete kook, but he really isn't much different than Ralph when you consider they are both too old and senile to be owners anymore, both of their better days and useful days as an owner are way in the rear view mirror. The two biggest differences in the two are Davis looks even more dead than Ralph does, but he isn't afraid to open his wallet, even though most of the time nowadays it is on stupid contracts. Have they made bad trades and first round picks, yes they have but obviously no worse than we have.

Miami-Just the fact that you said they are up and down each year eliminates them, since we stay down. Plus during this timeframe they have 6 winning seasons and 3 playoff appearances, and 3 division titles.

Cincinnati-during this timeframe, 2 winning records, 3 8-8 seasons, 1 division title, 2 playoff appearances-no comparison

Carolina-3 winning seasons, 2 8-8 seasons, 3 division titles, 1 Super Bowl Appearance-not even close

San Francisco-2 winning seasons, 1 8-8 seasons, 2 playoff appearances, 1 division title, just hired the most coveted head coach out there while we hired one nobody wanted, and have a trophy case full of Lombardi Trophies-Not in the same conversation

You are right that in most cases the NFL is cyclical, but apparently not in our case as we stay down, and for the most part the Patriots stay up. I have covered every team that you have attempted to compare us to with regards to futility, but it really is justifiable that this organization is ranked at the dead bottom, as it should be, and probably will be until we have new ownership.

Dan Snyder and Al Davis are taking a lot of heat here. But I'm not sure what's worse, an owner that wants to win desperately but doesn't have a clue how to go about it, or an owner who appears not to care one way or another as long as the money keeps rolling in.

I would take the owner that wants to win desperately every time, eventually they will get lucky and win. Kinda like buying lottery tickets, if you don't buy any there is no chance you will win, but if you buy them and spend your money, at least there is hope that someday your numbers will come in.

I take it you've probably never listened to Sirius NFL Radio. The analysts there do a great job covering the Bills (and all the teams). If you listen to Adam Schein's interviews with Ryan Fitzpatrick over the past couple of months, you can tell he knows what's going on with the team, and that he hopes Fitzpatrick succeeds.

Lots of people hate Adam Schein for his over-the-top, enthusiastic style, but he's absolutely knowledgable.

Yes, there are some good analysts out there, just not as many as there are NFL analyst jobs, it seems.

I don't get to hear Schein on Sirius, would love to get NFL Radio! I am talking more about the ESPN characters, and, from the limited amount I have seen/heard, quite a few of the NFL Network guys fall into the same category...like, they have to talk football, they know they have to say something about a lower profile team (like the Bills), so they just pull something out of their ass that is either based on something that happened years ago, or is inconsequntial to the current state of the Bills. For some, the Bills stopped existing after losing their fourth Super Bowl...

Yes, there are some good analysts out there, just not as many as there are NFL analyst jobs, it seems.

I don't get to hear Schein on Sirius, would love to get NFL Radio! I am talking more about the ESPN characters, and, from the limited amount I have seen/heard, quite a few of the NFL Network guys fall into the same category...like, they have to talk football, they know they have to say something about a lower profile team (like the Bills), so they just pull something out of their ass that is either based on something that happened years ago, or is inconsequntial to the current state of the Bills. For some, the Bills stopped existing after losing their fourth Super Bowl...

I hear ya, yeah I totally agree on a lot of those guys, which is why I love Sirius NFL Radio. :)