John Elway is bored...

John Elway Sounds A Sour Note About Band With Same Name

The band, to its credit, was mostly amused. In a statement released via punknews.org, the band acknowledged the letter and suggested Elway had better things to do in the wake of the Broncos' disastrous 2010 season. "We have no intention of changing the name again. We love the name, regardless of what connotations are inferred by the listener. Surely, if the Dead Kennedys could become one of punk's most popular bands without incurring litigation, Elway can keep their moniker and continue making so-so music for our dozens of fans to enjoy."

And you can't forget about "The Dead Kennedys."

Closer to football, there's "The Dead Schembechlers," who were formed when iconic Michigan Coach Bo Schembechler was still alive.

Then there's the 10,000 Maniacs who at one time, contemplated using the name, "101 Dalmations."

Maybe they thought better of infringing on Disney.

Then there's the 10,000 Maniacs who at one time, contemplated using the name, "101 Dalmations."

Maybe they thought better of infringing on Disney.

Ah, the Dead Schembechlers! They belong in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

PTR

I'm sure they're thankful for the free publicity due to the lawsuit however.

Score a point for Elway -- the band, that is. And now the group has now received more press than it ever would have had Elway minded his own business. There have to be quite a few people perusing the band's MySpace site, rocking out to songs like "Wolf Shirt," which to be honest, isn't a bad little jam.

RiverFenix was another band, eventually changed their name to Fenix TX due to a cease and desist order. Regardless of their name, they suck.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

dont get this. so say your last name was malone, i dont(or maybe i just wouldnt) hold the rights to that last name, and can't prevent anybody from ever using it. so because he is John Elway, nobody can name their band that. What if I named my band Jackson, will i get letters from Randy, Fred, Blanket, Bo, and Joe Jackson asking me to change it? Curious as to whether or not the lack of law suit or cease and desist was due to the lack of authority over the name

About 20 years ago or so, my mother sent me a t-shirt that said on it, "I love you Buffalo." So far, so good. But after the "I Love You," and again after "Buffalo," the company placed those little trademark logos. I just thought, what brass ones they had to think they could copyright "I Love You" and "Buffalo." There was nothing else on the shirt, no artwork, etc, just those words.

I wonder if they ever tried to sue somebody for "infringement" on their "intellectual property."

There is another band out there, right now called Dale Earnhartdt Jr Junior...we sell concert tickets at one of my jobs...they were here over the weekend...sold quite a few tickets. You would be amazed by how many people called to ask "Is Dale Earnhardt really going to be at EMO's?"