Fuggin Tornados

Stl Bills

Poor Joplin might be getting it again tonight. If not them, looks like its going to be another night of strong storms and possible tornados. Hope everybody stays safe.

Poor Joplin might be getting it again tonight. If not them, looks like its going to be another night of strong storms and possible tornados. Hope everybody stays safe.

Wow...just watching CNN... really sad... stay safe everyone.

Now a storm with 100mph straight line winds heading toward Joplin.

And a tornado warning with a potential twister less than 15 minutes outside Joplin heading toward the northern edge of town.

We survived High and dry! Hallelujah! I began drawing up plans this morning for digging a shelter under the garage floor! I am sick and tired of hunkering down in the bathroom for reasons other than was intended. It's futile anyway. Did you see those freakin pictures?

Mother nature hates Oklahoma! Seriously, did you know, on Feb 10, 2011, it got down to -31 degrees F just to the north of Tulsa? It was a balmy -23 at the south pole that day!

-31 in the winter. +115 in the summer. Severe droughts one year. Severe flodding the next. Hail repairs to the car and roof two years in a row. Ice storms and wildfires that flatten forests.

There have been so many new weather related state records here for the past two years it is impossible not to believe the all of the climate change hype.

We survived High and dry! Hallelujah! I began drawing up plans this morning for digging a shelter under the garage floor! I am sick and tired of hunkering down in the bathroom for reasons other than was intended. It's futile anyway. Did you see those freakin pictures?

Mother nature hates Oklahoma! Seriously, did you know, on Feb 10, 2011, it got down to -31 degrees F just to the north of Tulsa? It was a balmy -23 at the south pole that day!

-31 in the winter. +115 in the summer. Severe droughts one year. Severe flodding the next. Hail repairs to the car and roof two years in a row. Ice storms and wildfires that flatten forests.

There have been so many new weather related state records here for the past two years it is impossible not to believe the all of the climate change hype.

There has been a La Nina thing going on all fall/winter/spring. It's supposed to be winding down soon but they are saying it could be the cause of these more severe storms. I'm about to go crazy with the usually cold/wet weather here in the PacNW that I'm tempted to move to Arizona soon. :angry:

Edited by LanaK6

That'd be all well in good if this were the first time it's ever happened. The old record for that city in OK was -25F back in 1930, and the state's record low was -27F in 1905, 1930, and 1947. The new record, -28F according to the below link, is obviously a bit colder but not far off from the records.

Topeka, Kansas broke a record too - 9F, but they were -8F back in 1982.

I don't see how bad weather for a year or two leads to "impossible not to believe in climate change." Keep in mind that there's also better recording devices nowadays, so who knows if it was really -27F in 1905 or if it was -29F. Hard to tell.

http://www.gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/9389/oklahoma-colder-than-the-south-pole-this-morning

Click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/25/us/joplin-aerial.html

This is an interactive aerial photo of Joplin, showing "before" and "after".

You can grab the blue rectangle to go between before and after.

You can also pan the photo with your cursor.

Just for kicks:

Joplin Wal-Mart

Joplin Wal-Mart again

Renault's Billancourt factory, Paris, late WWII

Joplin damage

London damage, 1940

I noticed that a lot of people had to go to interior rooms.. Closets... Bathrooms... Etc... Don't they have basements in these areas? I know here in Illinois through the years there have been many times where we hunkered down in the basement with the sirens going off. I would never buy a home in the MidWest without a basement!

I noticed that a lot of people had to go to interior rooms.. Closets... Bathrooms... Etc... Don't they have basements in these areas? I know here in Illinois through the years there have been many times where we hunkered down in the basement with the sirens going off. I would never buy a home in the MidWest without a basement!

Depends on the area, but there are a few reasons for no basements. High water table, soil type and earthquake zones are the primary reasons.

If I ever had to move to one of these areas, there is no way I would live in a home without a reinforced safe room. I would factor that into my housing costs. I know it's not cheap and many might not have the means but you're risking too much without one.

Depends on the area, but there are a few reasons for no basements. High water table, soil type and earthquake zones are the primary reasons.

If I ever had to move to one of these areas, there is no way I would live in a home without a reinforced safe room. I would factor that into my housing costs. I know it's not cheap and many might not have the means but you're risking too much without one.

That sounds like a great idea (reinforced safe room)! I never knew they had them.

Anyway... I would build one... But my wife and children would probably lock me up in it! ;):P

• 2 weeks later...