our horrible drafts have a bright side

ok so it started with rob johnson and the first rounder we wasted to get him, then mike williams, jp losman and mcargo, and finally mr maybin. After all of those drafts we all have heard the names we missed on...Cutler, Revis, Mckinney, Orakpo etc.

heres the thing, had we gotten even just one of those guys over said loser...we would have had more wins each year afterward and never had been in the same low draft position we ended up in. One win equals about 3-5 draft spots lower in any draft. Say we had stuck w flutie and never got rob the karate kid johnson for example...Flutie might have stayed longer and we would have eeked out 10 wins a year and even had a first round pick playing for us out of that very draft (maybe fred taylor) then we dont draft antowain smith and then we have even another better player, maybe making the playoffs a couple more times before a rebuiling again.

this senario could have played itself out any given year. Last year had we gotten orakpo i bet we win four more games...all the close 3 pointers and one more after orakpo knocks out the starting qb and there we have it, 8 wins and a crappy draft pick this year.

all in all i would have taken that, or flutie instead of RJ, or revis instead of JP but the reality is we would never have had the chance to miss on so many low picks, had we not missed on the one before it. YA i know we need to start hitting some, move up and pick higher and higher, its just not quite as bad as it seems.

Strongly disagree that Orakpo = 4 more wins last year. That's just crack.

Very much disagree that Cutler is a franchise qb. To me, if you dont have a franchise qb, then you need 2 or 3 dominant groups (linebackers, D-line, O-line) in order to be competitive. Since we didnt pass up many franchise qbs (maybe Roethlisburger? Or Flacco (jury is still out on him)), then I'd like to know if you think we could have built a dominant unit or two instead of randomly picking a guy who isnt a bust every yer.

And btw, I have been saying for about 10 years that if we just let Mel Kiper make our first round pick for the last 10 years we'd be awesome. But the Bills like to show that they're smarter than everyone else. :wallbash:

Edited by maddenboy

Orakpo was two years ago and had we done better We could have picked Clay Matthews instead. I'd take more wins any day and if we started Fluitie and won we could have been in the superbowl instead of Tennessee and maybe finally won a superbowl and that would be worth more than a million high first round picks. There are great picks all over the first round, we just need to pick better and this year it finaly (hopefully) looks like we had good draft.

Losing sucks.

I guess you didn't read the original post. It turns out that losing is actually a good thing, as it affords you the opportunity to continue to suck on a bigger stage.

Choosing poorly in the 8-15 range, results in less wins, and allows a team to then choose poorly in the 1-8 range. Picking poorly in the 1-8 range costs substantially more than choosing in the 8-15 range, eating up resources which could be used to sign free agents, thus making the team even worse. So clearly, things are not as bad they seem.

The OP describes how to systematically drive a franchise into the ground and arrives at the conclusion that "things could be worse." Either this a crayonz type post or loserlovers is a real glass is half-full kind of guy.

The only positive that I can think of is how wonderful it will feel when the win a Super Bowl. The glory day Bills were great because of all the years of frustration. When the Saints won, it was especially wonderful because of all the years that they struggled.

I think the only other upside would be that they fired a lot of the people who were responsible for the losing organization. The Giants did it when they hired Bill Parcells, and I am hoping that Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix have the same effect. I will say one thing, I feel that real football people were brought in the run the organization, which hasn't been the case since Butler left for San Diego.

The only positive that I can think of is how wonderful it will feel when the win a Super Bowl. The glory day Bills were great because of all the years of frustration. When the Saints won, it was especially wonderful because of all the years that they struggled.

I think the only other upside would be that they fired a lot of the people who were responsible for the losing organization. The Giants did it when they hired Bill Parcells, and I am hoping that Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix have the same effect. I will say one thing, I feel that real football people were brought in the run the organization, which hasn't been the case since Butler left for San Diego.

NFN, but I don't see a positive side to this org yet.

Still waiting to see the baby

This is strangely reminiscent of a crayonz type of post.

Let me see if I have this right...our team is devoid of top level talent through a series of draft day blunders, but because said draft day blunders have led to a team devoid of top level talent we continued our draft day blunders and talent depleted ways until we may have seemingly had a decent draft in part due to the fact that we picked high because we have a team devoid of top level talent and they didn't win many games.

Let me see if I have this right...our team is devoid of top level talent through a series of draft day blunders, but because said draft day blunders have led to a team devoid of top level talent we continued our draft day blunders and talent depleted ways until we may have seemingly had a decent draft in part due to the fact that we picked high because we have a team devoid of top level talent and they didn't win many games.

Just bring it all home with a declaration that things are actually much better than the situation you've carefully laid out and I'd say you've nailed it.

Edited by Jauronimo

The draft remains a crapshoot overhyped to massive importance by ESPN and Mel Kiper's hair.

Right...

I'm sure Teams that actually Scout and Draft well year after year, like Green Bay for example, may disagree... B-)

Thank goodness for all those crappy picks, this summary made my brain hurt a little... I guess the myth busters were right after all... you can polish a turd.