Brad Butler

I just read his name in another thread and remembered how disappointed I was when he retired last year. I know he was interested in politics and that was part of the reason he retired.... Anyone hear anything about him? Its really to bad, I thought he was just about to turn the corner for us.

I just read his name in another thread and remembered how disappointed I was when he retired last year. I know he was interested in politics and that was part of the reason he retired.... Anyone hear anything about him? Its really to bad, I thought he was just about to turn the corner for us.

I totally agree, I thought he would benefit the offense tremendously. While not a star I thought he would have been a solid starter allowing the Bills to fill some other spots.

I was never totally sold on Butler and thankfully he hit the road in year one of a rebuild. I haven't heard of anything about him recently , but I'm sure a quick google search will end your curiosity.

I heard he was combining his love of politics with the experience he gained as a road grading offensive tackle to wrangle interns for Congressman Mark Foley. Those poor boys don't stand a chance.

Edited by Jauronimo

I heard he was combining his love of politics with the experience he gained as a road grating offensive tackle to wrangle interns for Congressman Mark Foley. Those poor boys don't stand a chance.

I wonder if he runs them through those same hand-fighting drills Tim Krumrie used to use when evaluating line prospects.

road grading

Same thing man. Its like you say tomato and I say potato. Irregardless of whos write and whos wrong, your just being redickulous now Mr. libarian.

I appreciate the correction though. I've always prided myself on my proper spelling, correct pronunciation and huge diction.

Edited by Jauronimo

It speaks to how poorly the team has been stocked that a mediocre talent with porcelain limbs like Butler was so counted upon. The only thing good about Butler was his football temperment.

It speaks to how poorly the team has been stocked that a mediocre talent with porcelain limbs like Butler was so counted upon. The only thing good about Butler was his football temperment.

Well there was his mean streak and toughness, yes. Also, he was very intelligent.

It speaks to how poorly the team has been stocked that a mediocre talent with porcelain limbs like Butler was so counted upon.

This is true. Butler was merely an OK player. He was probably just about always hurt and this no doubt effected his production, but I for one think that his play gets too much praise around here.

No big deal; jmo.

This is true. Butler was merely an OK player. He was probably just about always hurt and this no doubt effected his production, but I for one think that his play gets too much praise around here.

No big deal; jmo.

I agree totally.

I would even go further and say that Brad was smart enough to know that he had limitations in talent and durability and that he made a career decision based on those factors.

This is just me guessing but I would say that Brad knew that he would have a relatively short career, would make average money, and when weighed against further delaying his post-football career and preserving his body for himself and his family, he knew that quitting football was the wise choice.

I would even go so far as to guess that if he knew he had the ability to have a long and distinguished career (make many millions of dollars) that he would not have retired.

JMO.

I liked Butler at RT. Although he did deal with a lot of injuries, he always held his own and played the position pretty well. He was a solid starter.

As I recall, he played one full game at RT then got hurt in the second one. Career over.

The legend of Brad Butler is an interesting phenomenon. Maybe we are such a battered fan base that we have to grasp for explanations for failure to ease the pain, but the truth is he was not a great loss because he was not a great have.

Anyone hear anything about him?

Made me curious so I decided to take a look around. See the far right column at page 3/6 of this:

http://www.alumni.virginia.edu/multimedia/aig/sta/Hall_Spring11.pdf

He apparently worked as an intern for the House Budget Committee through April 15, 2011.

And at some point (in 2010?), he gave a speech to teachers at the Holiday Inn in Charleston, West Virginia. From http://www.centerforpolitics.org/news.html :

"CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA – The University of Virginia Center for Politics’ Youth Leadership Initiative is hosting a statewide civic education workshop for West Virginia teachers in Charleston, WV on Thursday, August 12. The event is being held with the support of a $90,000 grant awarded by the Comcast Foundation to the University of Virginia Center for Politics.

Thursday’s events will take place at the Holiday Inn Charleston House from 9 AM to 3 PM with a keynote speech by Governor Joe Manchin III at 9:30 AM and a check presentation ceremony at 10:45 AM. Other speakers will include Secretary of State Natalie Tennant, retired NFL player Brad Butler, and Center for Politics Director Larry J. Sabato.

“We are grateful to Comcast for its generous contribution,” said Sabato, “The Comcast Foundation grant will help us to educate even more young people about the importance of civic engagement and becoming active in the political process.”

============================

Kinda surprised there wasn't more.

As I recall, he played one full game at RT then got hurt in the second one. Career over.

The legend of Brad Butler is an interesting phenomenon. Maybe we are such a battered fan base that we have to grasp for explanations for failure to ease the pain, but the truth is he was not a great loss because he was not a great have.

But he played many games at RG and did quite a serviceable job. Through camp, preseason all reports were that he was doing very well at RT. Not saying he was a dominant player, but he was around long enough for people to develop and opinion about him.