Relocating to Charlotte...

PTS

Right now we have Matthews as our first preference. Specifically the part of Matthews that is in Union County with the better schools.

We did like Waxhaw because of the size of the lots but I could see accessibility being an issue to that area. Some parts were definitely located better than others.

As for Fort Mill, we love their crazy low taxes but didn't really see a house we really liked.

That is a good location to live. There is easy accessibility to 485 loop, and the stores from Matthews to the Blakney/Ballantyne area.

If your in Union County you aren't won't be in the town of Matthews. You just have a Matthews mailing address. Most of western Union County has either Matthews or Waxhaw mailing address.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. Count me in the minority. I hated it there. Moved from WNY in 1980 the place was a rural as they get. That was ok, but now, it is a bit too big for it's britches if you catch my drift. Just too much traffic and things are too spread out for me, it takes 30 minutes to go ANYWHERE.

For the poster that lives in Ballentine: I grew up 1 mile from there, played in the fields where your house and gold course currently sits. That place is SOOOO different now, the roads have all been renamed and rerouted, I literally get lost there now. And I spent 20 years there. Ha!

And where the hell were all you Bills fans when I was the only freaking one in the early 1980's. You guys have it easy now!!!!

The big downside of living in the south are the bible thumpers.

PTR

Charlotte isn't that bad, though. It sometimes seems like Charlotte is 1/3 southerners/locals and 1/3 Ohioans, New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, 1/3 everything else.

PTR

When I first got here, I had to go to the DMV to get my NC license (had to take a "written" test on the rules of the road, too - Aced it!*). I showed up at the DMV before it opened and got in line with about 20 other people. There was a guy there reading to us from the Good Book for about 10 minutes. They opened up the door and he thanked up for listening, walked in and took a seat at his desk. Everyone took it in stride.

*The lady who processed me, an attractive 40-something with a Jimmy Johnson race car on her desk next to a picture of her and her John Daly look-alike husband, touched me on the hand and said in a pure southern belle accent, "I knew you'd do well, sweetie." I felt like going out and getting a nice unsweetened iced tea to celebrate.

Charlotte is Buffalo. There are SOOO many WNYers down there it's unbelievable. Best of luck!!

I am trying to leave it's too frigging hot here. House for sale.

I live in the Ballantyne area of Charlotte. There's a Bills bar in Ft. Mill & at least 3 here in CLT. Welcome!

The place in Fort Mill is owned by some guy who went to UB and is from Albany. Their food sucks!

PTR

Their all over the place! Too much for my catholic arse!

Ugh. Count me in the minority. I hated it there. Moved from WNY in 1980 the place was a rural as they get. That was ok, but now, it is a bit too big for it's britches if you catch my drift. Just too much traffic and things are too spread out for me, it takes 30 minutes to go ANYWHERE.

For the poster that lives in Ballentine: I grew up 1 mile from there, played in the fields where your house and gold course currently sits. That place is SOOOO different now, the roads have all been renamed and rerouted, I literally get lost there now. And I spent 20 years there. Ha!

And where the hell were all you Bills fans when I was the only freaking one in the early 1980's. You guys have it easy now!!!!

Its all about either NASCAR or college sports. Drive around and looks at the college banners hanging all over.

17 years ago, i interviewed for positions all over the southeast. this included interviews at rock hill and concord. even back then, concord felt sterile and mass produced. felt like a big strip mall to me. rock hill was more native southern. my interview there ended when i was introduced to the local sheriff at a rotary lunch. he gave me his card and told me to call him if i ever needed him. i thought that was pretty bizarre: should i be looking out for someone to beat me up on the way out of town? we ultimately didn't choose either of these places but i hear good things about charlotte. i do hear complaints about urban sprawl, however.

a few hints for assimilation (especially if you end up in a primarily southern neighborhood): embrace the good in southern culture- in my opinion, there's much to like and learn from. for the things you don't like, just keep quiet. your telling everyone how much better the food or the people or whatever is up north will only serve to alienate you. and be prepared for it to take some time to make close southern friends. they've seen lots of northerners come and go in short time spans and generally will not greet you with open arms until they are convinced of your good intentions.

good luck!

17 years ago, i interviewed for positions all over the southeast. this included interviews at rock hill and concord. even back then, concord felt sterile and mass produced. felt like a big strip mall to me. rock hill was more native southern. my interview there ended when i was introduced to the local sheriff at a rotary lunch. he gave me his card and told me to call him if i ever needed him. i thought that was pretty bizarre: should i be looking out for someone to beat me up on the way out of town? we ultimately didn't choose either of these places but i hear good things about charlotte. i do hear complaints about urban sprawl, however.

a few hints for assimilation (especially if you end up in a primarily southern neighborhood): embrace the good in southern culture- in my opinion, there's much to like and learn from. for the things you don't like, just keep quiet. your telling everyone how much better the food or the people or whatever is up north will only serve to alienate you. and be prepared for it to take some time to make close southern friends. they've seen lots of northerners come and go in short time spans and generally will not greet you with open arms until they are convinced of your good intentions.

good luck!

good post. I live on a street that I don't know my neighbors names. Very unfriendly. Lived here for five years. Their all natives. I'm a Yankee sorry about that folks. Can't wait to get the f outta here.

what are property and school taxes down in Charlotte like? what is average taxes on say a 150,000 dollar home? thanks

http://timothyjones2.point2agent.com/Property_Taxes/page_1327237.html

If your property is in Charlotte, to calculate your 2006 city/county taxes, take the tax value of your property, divide by 100 and multiply by 1.2775. Owners of a $150,000 house will have an annual city/county tax bill of $1,916.25

If your property is in Mecklenburg County and not in Charlotte or other town,

take the value of your property, divide by 100 and multiply by .9836. Owners of a $150,000 house will have an annual county tax bill of $1475.40

Googlerino!! :nana:

• 3 months later...

Just an update. We are moving down next week. Originally, my wife was going to transfer within her company but long story short, she got a far better offer from another company.

She'll be working in Ballantyne so we got a short-term apartment minutes from her work. Hopefully we can find and close on a house we like within three months! We are looking at communities just across the border in South Carolina where taxes are even cheaper.

Hope to see some of you around at the Buffalo bars in the area.

Just an update. We are moving down next week. Originally, my wife was going to transfer within her company but long story short, she got a far better offer from another company.

She'll be working in Ballantyne so we got a short-term apartment minutes from her work. Hopefully we can find and close on a house we like within three months! We are looking at communities just across the border in South Carolina where taxes are even cheaper.

So what are you going to do for work?

Good luck.

One thing I'll add that you will soon learn - the value of family being nearby. Not only to watch the kids, but to just get together and for the kids to know their extended family. It's hard to internalize once it is gone and the decision is made. I hope you find a way to manage.

And the schools are even worse.