Relocating to Charlotte...

PTS

Go fast, turn left...

I was going to say as a way to experience the South get yourself tickets to the October race!!!

Also, I hope you link hunting, bass fishing, skoal, banjo's and bbq. Welcome down South, be sure to get yourself a flag of the good ol' stars and bars.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are you going to do for work?

I was thinking of working for Chick-Fil-A or Bojangles. :P

But if that doesn't work out, I'll just have to fall back on my business. Part of the reason I'm moving is because I'm expanding my website development company into the Carolinas.

Good luck.

One thing I'll add that you will soon learn - the value of family being nearby. Not only to watch the kids, but to just get together and for the kids to know their extended family. It's hard to internalize once it is gone and the decision is made. I hope you find a way to manage.

I hear you. I think I'll manage but I'm worried my wife might find it harder. She's a momma's girl all the way. That said, both our parents are getting closer to retirement and not planning on sticking around New York.

And the schools are even worse.

Maybe in general but I don't think that's the case in Fort Mill. Everyone we talked in Charlotte said that the schools in Meck County are pretty bad right now. Our realtor that her clients that want good schools are moving to Union County or just over the border into SC. My little one is 10 months so I got some time before having to worry about that.

I do not know your particular genre of website development, but since you're now down South I encourage you to look at working with farmers in this area to help develop sites for their farm and product. It is a very growing trend in this area. I know I am going to develop one in a year or so...but for now, I know many who aren't even online.

I do not know your particular genre of website development, but since you're now down South I encourage you to look at working with farmers in this area to help develop sites for their farm and product. It is a very growing trend in this area. I know I am going to develop one in a year or so...but for now, I know many who aren't even online.

We do it all and it's funny you mention farming because that's one industry we saw in our preliminary research that appears to be underserved.

If you need any help or have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

If your going to SC Tega Cay and Fort Mill are where you should be looking. One of our employees lived in a planned community called Baxter Village in Fort Mill. It's very nice.

We did check out Baxter Village and it's very nice but it's way too Neo-Traditional for our tastes. To go from 1.5 to 0.2 acres would be a tough pill to swallow for us.

We put in an offer on a short-sale in a beautiful planned-community in Fort Mill two weeks ago. Now we wait to hear from the seller's bank if they will approve the sale.

saw a documentary this weekend that gives some insight into southern culture. was called something like "hillbillies, the real story". probably not as appropriate to charlotte as rural virginia where i live but you're almost certain to encounter some "hillbillies" or "rednecks". this was the first time i've ever heard the origin for "redneck". it seems union coal miners who were fighting a war against union breaking "detectives" (thugs) hired by the coal companies, wore red bandanas around their neck. also some insight into religion, the birth of nascar and the ethnic makeup of the area. i think it was on the history channel - worth watching.

saw a documentary this weekend that gives some insight into southern culture. was called something like "hillbillies, the real story".

Great show! Having Charlie Daniels narate was classic, Michael Waltrip had the best commentary.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd update everyone. We moved into our beautiful new home last month in Indian Land, SC. Our community is awesome and we absolutely love where we ended up. We're just two miles from the Ballantyne area of Charlotte and we've got everything we need (restaurants, stores, supermarkets, etc) right on our door steps.

The taxes are so low it's laughable. We'd be paying $20k a year in taxes in New York to have the same home. As for the schools, every person we talked to said they have become some of the best in the region thanks to the influx of new residents.

As for as the culture shock, the only shock we've experienced is how freaking nice everyone is down here. Almost to a fault. It also took me less than an hour last Friday to register my vehicle, get my tags and license, pay my property taxes and register to vote. To top it all off, every single government employee I dealt with was nice. It was shocking.