What's it like being a Bills fan on the West Coast?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a BILLS Fan on the West Coast from 86 till I "retired" in 2003.

I lived in Seattle and there was a great group of guys that "used" to get together, first a a bar downtown near the Space Needle and eventually moved a litle N to Jillian's, an up-scale pool hall/sports bar. Maybe they're still there but I'm not, now in Virginia, un-retired, and lost contact.

I was there for the Chuck Knox era, the BOZ (Bozzo) etc. The Seahawks were enjoyable when they were in ine AFC but since they're back to the NFC, it's not the same. The Denver, Kansas City and Oakland rivalries were the best!

Despite that, I've been a BILLS fan since they started. They're the "home team" and that's that! So I'm as long suffering as the rest, but can't give it up!

Hopefully we have a real season this year and we'll finally turn it around.

One word of advice, don't go to an away game, wearing your best BILLS stuff, unless you're with a large group of fellow fans. Unfortunately, it can get ugly fast, especially if we win, and there's safety in numbers.

Most peeps are damn lucky to be born or living near Buffalo. But some of us in the periphery have to make due with how our lives have unfolded. How many here are transplants from Buffalo? And how many are fans who naturally realized Buffalo is our team (such as me). SF is supposed to be my team. They are fairly close enough and they became my 2nd fav. But for some damn reason Buffalo got a hold of my heart before the Niners could and never let go (and the Niners are damn close to my heart). I'm a hard core Bills fan since 87 and perhaps 86 if pressed. and I'm damn proud of it!

How did you all (who live away from Buffalo) get sucked into the awesomeness of being a Bills fan? Did it come as naturally as my situation? due tell!

Born and raised in NJ whole family were giants fans...did'nt wanna conform i was 8 when the bills started their good drafting with B smith. now 28 yrs later here i am moved all the way to sacramento Ca and still bleeding bills red and blue. When we win one it will be the most special event for us diehards in sports history. Can't wait....if we keep doing things this way it wont be long GO BILLS!

I agree, if the BILLS left WNY, even though I live on the west coast, I wouldn't ever have another team, and my passion for football would be gone.

I'd wear my BILLS gear til it fell off, and keep rooting for those SABRES!!!!!!!

I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life. The Bills became my team in 1988 & I got hooked. 9 years later, I was lucky enough to meet a girl who grew up in Buffalo & married her. We're Bills fans for life.

Most of my friends are Bears fans, they know I don't have any interest in their team & they don't care about mine, though I admittedly rooted for the Bears to lose the NFC championship game last year. I rarely see anybody else around here sporting Bills gear, but it does happen.

That is the strange thing about Chicago... I know people that were born and raised here and HATE the Bears! One is a Tampa fan! :lol: LOVES when the Bears lose! Other guy used to love the Bears until they priced him out of season tix with the PSL and stadium renovation... Now he is a Colts fan. :wallbash:

You think this is ever possible in BFLO? Maybe just plain apathy, but not HATE. Well, until IF they leave.

Grew up in Orchard Park, NY. Moved when I was 18 to Omaha, NE been moving back and forth every since every other year. Nothing like going to a Bills game around 10am on your bikes as a kid with all of your friends trying to get in to the game. As I am older now. There is nothing like actually tailgating at 9am all morning getting ready for war. I love the Bills more than my wife. I am just kidding I don't have a wife. But I will make sure she knows what she is in for when I get one.

Grew up in Auburn, New York (20 minutes outside of Syracuse). Went to my first bills game when I was 6 years old. My family had season tickets for about 10 years. I moved to Charlotte, NC in 2007 and had the Sunday Ticket so I never missed a game. There's also a great bills bar called the trackside tavern in downtown Charlotte. Moved to Fairbanks, Alaska recently. Games start at 8:00 in the morning, which means that I need to start pre-gaming at about 7:00. I can't get DirecTV at my apartment here, so I am forced to watch the games at a sports bar. I was surprised to find a pretty good representation of Bills fans up here in the arctic.

Born in Fredonia. Went to training camp everyday from 1982-1991 (ages 8-17). Moved to Las Vegas in 1998. Haven't missed a game in 15 years. Joe Cribbs and Bruce Smith are my favorite players. Fred Jackson is moving up the charts fast.

I wake up every Sunday during the season at 6am fired up for the game. Hit the sports book and place my wager for or against the bills, depending on what the book does. It pains me to bet against them, but I know more about the bills than they do. It doesn't matter where my money lies, I always root for them 210%. I'm on tsw everyday, sometimes 30 times a day depending on how busy my day is. Being on the west coast is great, because I don't have to wait til 1pm for the game to start. It sucks not being able to go to games every week, but at least I don't have to shovel....ever. The bills are in my blood and will never leave. Sad to say, other than my family, the bills are my number 1 priority. Every job I've ever had, working Sunday isn't a possibility, even if it could be a $800 dollar day. GO BILLS FOR LIFE, WHERE EVER I LIVE!!!

Born overseas, raised in Eggertsville, Elma and then Penfield (suburb of Rochester). My mother and siblings were Buffalonians and I grew up going to Bison and Bills games. I was hooked when Jack Kemp took them to the championship. Our family was ecstatic and you couldn't help feel the love for the Bills.

I left Penfield and NY state in 76 to find my fortune in the Air Force. I retired in 94 and have lived all over the upper midwest including the plain states of North and South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Minnesota. I did four years in central California and everytime I moved, I hoped the Bills would play a game near me (within 300 miles), but believe it or not, it never happened. My luck.

I retired to Minneapolis in 1994 and thankfully got to see the Bills in town several years ago when they barely beat the Vikes with Bledsoe at the helm. Everywhere I go, everyone cracks jokes about the Bills, and I take it as I know they are just funning around and looking to bust my chops. When the Vikes win the town is happy (much like Buffalo), but it's a different story when they lose. You find the roads littered with those Viking car window flags. People tear down their banners and they just cry.

I took my wife (who is Iowanian) to several Bills games, including when Thurman went up on the wall and she was amazed to see Bills banners and flyers all over the city. Something you don't find anywhere else, except perhaps Green Bay. People ask me why I bother with putting bumper stickers on my car, or the little helmet guy on the antenna and I just grin. It's because it's part of me. I no longer liver there, but I still believe. Although, if the Bills left, I would never watch NFL again.

I live in Arizona, out in the sticks where there is no TV, very little radio and spotty internet, but I check in with TBD as frequently as I can and so does my wife. She is an avid Bills fan, and we have bred at least one daughter who likes them now too. The grandkids expect Bills coats, sweaters, tee-shirts and blankets and beg for them each Christmas. The dream goes on, and I hope they will keep dreaming about them. Hope is all we live with, whether we believe in a higher power or something tangible. Hope makes life worth living, and for Bills fans, it is what keeps us grinning.

I know we are the most loyal fans ever. But I often wonder if we are the most cerebral bunch as well on here. I cannot fathom any other team's board having the in depth and quality discussions that we have. It's great to know that I'm not alone being a Bills fan who is not from the Buffalo area. You guys and gals are awesome. hmm. might have to start a thread about our cerebralness :)

Phil Hanson and Rockinon, thank you for your service to our nation. I'm sorry if I missed any others. I just very much appreciate ones who serve.

Edited by Pilsner

Most peeps are damn lucky to be born or living near Buffalo. But some of us in the periphery have to make due with how our lives have unfolded. How many here are transplants from Buffalo? And how many are fans who never grew up in Buffalo but naturally realized Buffalo is our team (such as me). SF is supposed to be my team. They are fairly close enough and they became my 2nd fav. But for some damn reason Buffalo got a hold of my heart before the Niners could and never let go (and the Niners are damn close to my heart). I'm a hard core Bills fan since 87 and perhaps 86 if pressed. and I'm damn proud of it!

How did you all (who live away from Buffalo) get sucked into the awesomeness of being a Bills fan? Did it come as naturally as my situation? Do tell!

That is awesome ! I was born in the area & will be a Bills homer to the end but it good to know that our beloved Bills have that draw to bring in fans from all over the U.S.

SWEEEEEEEET !! GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most peeps are damn lucky to be born or living near Buffalo. But some of us in the periphery have to make due with how our lives have unfolded. How many here are transplants from Buffalo? And how many are fans who never grew up in Buffalo but naturally realized Buffalo is our team (such as me). SF is supposed to be my team. They are fairly close enough and they became my 2nd fav. But for some damn reason Buffalo got a hold of my heart before the Niners could and never let go (and the Niners are damn close to my heart). I'm a hard core Bills fan since 87 and perhaps 86 if pressed. and I'm damn proud of it!

How did you all (who live away from Buffalo) get sucked into the awesomeness of being a Bills fan? Did it come as naturally as my situation? Do tell!

I am from Arlington Texas....home of the Dallas Cowboys. I got sucked into being a Bills fan

because of my friendship with TBD member Aussiew.

Grew up in North Buffalo, just a few streets away from Kenmore.

Moved to So California shortly after High School.

Been going to BILLS games since my first one in '69 at the Rockpile against the Boston PATRIOTS, horrible stadium, rough neighborhood.

I've flown back for games too many times to count, just to go see the BILLS play and tailgate, alot of road games too. GB is my favorite away experience out of all road games.

The BILLS are the one thing about Buffalo I'll never get out of my system although in recent years it's been difficult not with just the losing, but those awful uniforms.

The other things I miss but as a distant 2nd ... SABRES, Ted's Hot Dogs, Andersons on Sheridan Dr, Roast Beef on Weck, Anchor Bar or Duffs wings, Bocce Pizza, Bison Brand Chip Dip to go with my Wise Potato Chips .... and Condrell's Hot Fudge.

I am a west coast Bills fan though it's the west coast of the UK rather than the US. I live in Wales which is rugby country and is something you are just born with and though I am passionate about rugby, football is my sporting life. As I said in a previous post on a different thread I have a large family in Buffalo and I have pictures of me at about 2 year old wearing Bills sweaters etc. I was given no choice in the matter and even knowing what I know now I wouldnt change a thing. The Bills are everything to me, they are all I think about somedays. Games start at 6pm here so catching the third lot of games on a Sunday (1am start) are a bit of a nuisance but thankfully (or not as the case may be) we never play in that time slot. If you take my affiliation with the Bills from those photographs I have been a fan all my life, which is 35 years now and I know WHEN we win the big one I will be a weeping mess but I dont think winning it all will mean as much to any other set of fans as it will to us. Just thinking about how it will feel makes me well up. I loved reading some of the stories from you guys about growing up in Buffalo and going to the stadium just to have a look. Its feels wonderful to belong to the Bills Nation.

I did not at all expect this kind of response. I figured maybe, perhaps, possibly a dozen would come out of the woodwork who have no roots to Buffalo but yet show their true colors here. You all who have posted make me proud to be a Bills fanatic. It has not been easy for many of you but you still are loyal. Our time will come gentlemen and gentle ladies. I think this FO finally has it down. It will take another few drafts to solidify their strategy. But finally, we are on our way. And when our Beloved Bills win our first SB, you know what? (assuming when a new ownership takes place and hopefully keeps our current FO in charge) I think our team will be built for a long term charge for multiple SB's. I don't want a Dan Sneider way of charging for one SB win but instead I want our team to be built for multiple SB runs. (I do not for the most part mean to disparage Ralph, although i do a little on occasion, but we know he is older than an elder gent and I do hope we get a solid owner to take over when Ralph sells or passes. If we do finally win it all under Ralph then so be it and I hope he smiles and realizes what great fans we are)

Many here want just this one SB win. As do I in a way. After reading the threads on here for a few years I can see now that even one SB win can be so significant and to the older folks as well who have been loyal for so long. But in the end I want our team to be built to make multiple runs. Not winning it in 4 chances presses hard on my heart.

I'm just glad to see folks who are as distant from Buffalo as I am who are as optimistic about our team as I am. We've weathered the storms and finally I see a FO in place that knows what it's doing with know how and common sense. Barring a catastrophic meteor crashing into any of our rookies training I think we're progressing up. Finally.

Personally I don't give a crap about cycles. Some people think teams just go in these cycles of winning and losing. With good coaching, good talent evaluators, and good drafting we should have a team that will vie for the SB every year. We'll see how things go.

Just as most weekends i'm drunkie off my azz but I hope my thoughts have come across in some sort of a decent semblance. Thank you all distant Buffalo fans for showing your zip! Goshies, these pilsners do get to me. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pilsner

in taiwan, it is lonely. i've never met another bills fan here. the games are on at 1 a.m. and my howls fill the night air.

in hawaii, there was a small bunch that hit the east side grill sunday mornings. good people, but the place was populated with steelers fans and we had to watch the steelers second string beat bledsoe and co. on that fateful sunday. not fun.

been with th bills since 1981. i was seven and remember that season. i remember joe cribbs looking visibly dejected when chuck knox decided to kick a field goal near the end of a must-win game. that could have been 1980 near the end of the season. but anyone who went through kay stephenson and hank bullough before the superbowl years will never leave the bills. the kelly era was effin' great.

Edited by billsintaiwan

Born in a small town way up north in Canada, Baie-Comeau, moved to Montreal to study when I was 18, went to my first Bills game the 2nd of December 1990 vs the Eagles, been a die hard Bills fan since then!! Can't wait for the season to start, Go Bills!

What an awesome 1st ever Bills game to see! Kelly lighting up the skies with passes; Lofton & Reed running wild for long gains & TD's. Big comeback by Philly -including a 102 yard TD pass- that was nearly a safety, and the Bills holdin' 'em off to win in the end!

How could anyine NOT be a lifer after that game?:thumbsup: