What's it like being a Bills fan on the West Coast?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a few transplants at the sports bar watching Bills games .... we've become good friends. No talk of the Bills in Seattle, except from us. we have our own tv at the bar every gameday, though.

Most peeps are damn lucky to be born or living near Buffalo. But some of us in the periphery have to make due with how our lives have unfolded. How many here are transplants from Buffalo? And how many are fans who naturally realized Buffalo is our team (such as me). SF is supposed to be my team. They are fairly close enough and they became my 2nd fav. But for some damn reason Buffalo got a hold of my heart before the Niners could and never let go (and the Niners are damn close to my heart). I'm a hard core Bills fan since 87 and perhaps 86 if pressed. and I'm damn proud of it!

How did you all (who live away from Buffalo) get sucked into the awesomeness of being a Bills fan? Did it come as naturally as my situation? due tell!

Im from Maine, I LOVE the Bills! I think i jumped on the bandwagon when i was a kid and we were in the super bowls...been draggin behind it ever since. Everyone here is New England or Giants fans, I hate all of them. Seeing these fools who like the Pats on a daily basis makes me love the Bills even more. 90% of the Pats fans are all fake. Thats what makes us Bills fans so great, we love our team no matter what! GO BILLS!

It's not the same as being in Buffalo with old friends watching the games eating chicken wings and pizza, but the good part about it is I get to see the games at 10:00 AM and know what has happened three hours earlier than everyone in NY.

HA, I don't know if I'm the only one who picked up on what you said, but this is funny stuff

I grew up in Southern California and I now reside in Las Vegas. My Dad's entire family is from Lackawanna and I grew up watching the few Bills games we could get in the late 80's and early 90's with him. The great teams were what originally drew me in, along with the Bills being my fathers team, but what kept me a fan was the 4 Super Bowl losses. I think we can kind of all relate to being so close to your dream and not quite get there, yet still have that determination to buck the odd's. Now, everytime I watch the Bills, I can't help but think to myself how satisfying it will be to someday see them win a Superbowl and how much that will mean.

I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life. The Bills became my team in 1988 & I got hooked. 9 years later, I was lucky enough to meet a girl who grew up in Buffalo & married her. We're Bills fans for life.

Most of my friends are Bears fans, they know I don't have any interest in their team & they don't care about mine, though I admittedly rooted for the Bears to lose the NFC championship game last year. I rarely see anybody else around here sporting Bills gear, but it does happen.

Wow, it was the late 60's when I became a fan. Lived in Fredonia at the time. The parents moved us out to CA in 1970. Back then, Monday night football half time highlights were the only time I got to see the Bills on tv. I used to ask my grandmother in Fredonia to mail me Bills articles from the newspaper. Had to rely on The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly, and the Bills Digest after that. ESPN, the internet, The Redzone, etc. have made it so much easier to keep up with what is going on. TBD is the BEST, I visit this site every day to get caught up.

Like GL, I'm from WNY, but have resided in 9 states since joining USMC. I'm now in my second Florida stint and host Bills games every Sunday for the Few, the Talkin' Proud!

Once, Always! Semper Fi! Bills & Marines!

Oooorrraahhhh. Semper Fi, I'm a Marine as well. Grew up a Bills fan (not from the Buffalo area, but my parents are). Naturally, I'm passing the "passion" down to my boys. NFL Sunday Ticket....It's an annual/fixed expense in my household!

It is awesome. Games start at 10 and over by 1. Have the entire rest of the day to do more stuff or watch more football. I have Direct TV Sunday Tix but even if I didn't they show the Bills from time to time when playing AFC and NFC West opponents.

Just like you. Grew up in the mid/late eightes. Have been a Bills fan ever since. Born and raised in Nor. Cal. No ties to B-low. Season ticket holder for the last four years; bought a house in b-low. Passion. Dedication.

BTW- still live in Nor. Cal

Born in a small town way up north in Canada, Baie-Comeau, moved to Montreal to study when I was 18, went to my first Bills game the 2nd of December 1990 vs the Eagles, been a die hard Bills fan since then!! Can't wait for the season to start, Go Bills!

Grew up closer to NYC than Buffalo actually... but for whatever reason became a Bills fan. I now live in the suburbs of Seattle.

Seattle is an AWFUL, AWFUL sports town. I cannot reiterate that enough. The Mariners are terrible and haven't been drawing anyone to the games. Seahawks fans are only into their team if they're on a playoff run. People look at my fandom here and think I'm insane - I drive around with a "GOBUFLO" license plate, I have Sunday Ticket, etc. Some have even asked me why I root for the Bills when I don't live there anymore, and that I should root for the Seahawks. Hogwash.

It's sad - but I'd wager to guess that the most popular sport here is actually soccer. The EPL is talked about more at work than the NFL.

Born in Buffalo, raised in western New York. Since then have lived in Southern California. Always loved the Bills through good and bad times. Like to get together with the ex-Buffalo-ians and root for the Bills. I do NOT want to see the Bills come to LA. The Bills are a western New York team. It is what makes them unique and special. Don't want to see the snow flakes replaced by smog flakes. There are two of us in the office I work in. We have Bills stuff all over.

Born and raised in NIAGARA FALLS NY, moved to CA in '83.

I'm WNY to the bone, and there's no doubt in anyone's mind here that knows me.

Buffalo blood running through my veins til death!

There is no other football team, can't understand it when people say

they have a second team, that's not do or die, or diehard or hardcore!

It's about the 716, and I'm proud of you diehard fans that have never been to WNY.

Let's GO, BUF-FA-LO!!!

Born and raised outside of Rochester and moved away to Colorado, for University, just in time to witness Wide Right.

Spent 10 years living in Fort Collins, in the land of Bronco fans but wore my Bills colors proudly. I'll never forget holding my week-old son while watching the Music City BS, only to move away to the great pacific northwest a couple months later.

It was hard being a Bills fan in Portland. Not a really big nfl community there.

Anyway, I've been living in Aotearoa (New Zealand) now for almost 6 years and still come to this damn message board on a daily basis, even though I haven't been able to actually watch a game for the entire time we've lived here.

That being said... I still wear my Bills gear proudly and can't wait for that glorious day when we can finally win it all.

Go Bills!

It's awesome being a bills fan here in La!

Pretty soon the bills will be moving here!

I never understood this mentality! Even if the Bills moved to Illinois, I WOULD NEVER BE A BILLS FAN AGAIN! The team isn't about the football, it is about the area they are supposed to represent. All teams should have the option to be publically owned like Green Bay.