Donovan McNabb

Donovan McNabb is one of my favorite players in the NFL because all he does all the time is prove people wrong. He was booed when Philadelphia drafted him and then had a wonderful career for the Eagles. He was traded and then slighted by the Redskins and I believe he will bounce back next season, maybe in Arizona or Minnesota, and create a lot of buzz and stir deep into the playoffs, but I digress. I just read this article and it just makes me mad. There is enough hate in this world, I don't understand why people like this Hopkins guy get to speak. He doesn't even make sense. I don't know. Read it for yourselves...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/29227509

I agree that Hopkins is an assclown and shouldn't be allowed to speak in public. Ever!!! But McNabb is a joke of a QB in my opinion. He was a direct product of Andy Reids system in Philly with average skill. My biggest response se to McNabb lovers is how he was huffing and puffing with the game on the line in his only SuperBowl with plenty of time to come away with a win. And that's after he lost how many NFC championship games? 5? Even TO played on a recently broken leg and had an amazing game.

Then there's the stupidity of not knowing that overtime is limited in the pros. The guy stinks in big games.

I will never understand why Donovan gets abused in the media the way he does. He comes across as a perfectly nice guy. Hopkins even conceded as much in that pointless diatribe. The most controversial thing Donovan has done is endorse Campbell's Chunky Soup, but with the scrutiny he gets you would think he was an ardent Nazi sympathizer.

Booed by his fans (although it is a known fact that Eagles fans are simply bad human beings and would jeer newborn kittens and puppies if afforded the opportunity), called out by Limbaugh, tossed under the bus by T.O., dumped by the Eagles, benched by the Skins, pulled by Shanahan in the last 2 mins of a close game in favor of Rex Grossman and his superior physical conditioning, and now blasted by a boxer with no provocation? Say what you want about Donovan the football player- maybe he does lack the edge needed to win a Super Bowl, has accuracy issues at times - but why the personal attacks?

I will never understand why Donovan gets abused in the media the way he does. He comes across as a perfectly nice guy. Hopkins even conceded as much in that pointless diatribe. The most controversial thing Donovan has done is endorse Campbell's Chunky Soup, but with the scrutiny he gets you would think he was an ardent Nazi sympathizer.

Booed by his fans (although it is a known fact that Eagles fans are simply bad human beings and would jeer newborn kittens and puppies if afforded the opportunity), called out by Limbaugh, tossed under the bus by T.O., dumped by the Eagles, benched by the Skins, pulled by Shanahan in the last 2 mins of a close game in favor of Rex Grossman and his superior physical conditioning, and now blasted by a boxer with no provocation? Say what you want about Donovan the football player- maybe he does lack the edge needed to win a Super Bowl, has accuracy issues at times - but why the personal attacks?

If it looks like crap, and smells like crap, then most likely it's crap. With all the personal attacks over the years, one has to wonder if maybe Donovan isn't the good ole boy that everyone males him out to be. Inside the locker rooms he was kicked off the Eagles and the Skins, by 2 different (most likely) HOF coaches, and alienated by his HOF WR. I know, say all you want about TO, but when he was here in Buffalo we saw first hand how things get blown out of proportion by the media regarding him and his issues. Something just seems really fishy about McNabb after really thinking about it.

There's three components to this topic.

First of all, I don't blame the writer (Josh Katzowitz…whoever he is).

He's just doing his job by putting a story out there. And his story is critical of Hopkins.

As far as McNabb goes, he will go down as one of the best/better QBs of his era. He certainly has his detractors and probably some of the criticism is valid. Nevertheless he's a much better QB than the Bills have put on the field since Jim Kelly and McNabb has experienced significant success both individually and team-wise during his career.

The real story here to me is that Bernard Hopkins continues to cement his legacy as another ignorant boxer who's been hit in the head too many times (that's called giving him the benefit of the doubt).

Keep in mind that Hopkins' comments on McNabb happened during Hopkins' press conference intended to publicize his upcoming fight. Talk about going off-topic...

The best thing Hopkins could do going forward is to keep his mouth shut or avoid interviews.

Donovan McNabb is one of my favorite players in the NFL because all he does all the time is prove people wrong. He was booed when Philadelphia drafted him and then had a wonderful career for the Eagles. He was traded and then slighted by the Redskins and I believe he will bounce back next season, maybe in Arizona or Minnesota, and create a lot of buzz and stir deep into the playoffs, but I digress. I just read this article and it just makes me mad. There is enough hate in this world, I don't understand why people like this Hopkins guy get to speak. He doesn't even make sense. I don't know. Read it for yourselves...

Donovan hasn't done enough for me to think he deserves the status of Montana, Elway, Farve, Brady, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino. And yet you get that feeling from McNabb, that he's the undisputed king. He has been outplayed on his own team by the Following: Jeff Garcia, Ty (and or) Koy Detmer and now Rex Grossman.

His biggest problem is he didn't establish himself as a good enough passing QB in the NFL in his early seasons. He ran the ball way too much (rush attempts) and he only started developing the skill to stay in pocket and find a receiver late in his career.

But his biggest flaw is the accuracy which has been lame throughout his career. He's gotten better at not running the ball and bailing out of the pocket too early, but it may be too late in his career.

What the boxer said was just stupid. As far as his career goes, I think Donavan McNabb is this generation's Danny White. While McNabb did have more starting seasons that White, White would have had the same amount of winning seasons with no titles if given the opportunities McNabb had.

Plus, the guy had huge "rabbit ears" in the worst city to have them. I'm sure his constant hurt feelings act grew very tiring to the rough and tumble philly fans. It always seemed like he never got over being booed on draft day and he carried that over throughout his career there.

As far as today goes...stick a fork in him, he's done.

I read the article. Evidently Hopkins feels a similarity between himself and field slaves; and sees a similarity between McNabb and house slaves. The article leaves out any explanation for why Hopkins has reached these conclusions. (Assuming, of course, that Hopkins had provided an explanation.) The author invites us to condemn both Hopkins and his perspective on the basis of a few snippets, without first having heard his side of the story. While I do not necessarily agree with Hopkins' perspective, neither am I prepared to slap some pejorative label on him until I've heard a lot more than the author of the article has provided.

The author of the article also made a disparaging reference to Rush Limbaugh's remarks about McNabb. I'd like to elaborate on that. Several football commentators--including Rush--were discussing McNabb and his stats. After discussing him a while, it was agreed that even though McNabb was seen as a first-tier QB, his stats didn't back up that reputation. The commentators generally agreed his reputation was overrated. At that point, the commentators asked the question, "Well, why does McNabb have such a strong reputation when it isn't justified by his performance? Why is he so overrated?" At that point, Rush Limbaugh made the statement that the media gave him undue praise because they liked the idea of a black quarterback succeeding. Rush Limbaugh's controversial comment was about the media, not about McNabb.

After that comment was made, McNabb significantly improved his play, and came a lot closer to justifying his high reputation.

Edit: for the first five years of McNabb's career, he averaged 4.4, 5.9, 6.6, 6.3, and 6.7 yards per pass attempt. To put those numbers into perspective, Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5 yards per attempt. Obviously there's no sense in planning a Canton bust for a QB who's in the same general category as Edwards! But then McNabb's average shot up to 8.3 the next year, and has only been below the 7.0 mark once since then. Even this past season with the Redskins, he averaged 7.2 yards per attempt, which is very solid. His career average is 6.9 yards per attempt, indicating he's a solid starter. But a QB needs to have a career average of 7.2 - 7.4 yards per attempt to be considered franchise.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I know that this is off topic, but the writer calling Bernard Hopkins perhaps the greatest middleweight in boxing history is a joke. Besides heavyweight, the middleweight division is boxing's deepest and most storied. Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen middleweights better than Hopkins including Ray Robinson, Marvin Haggler and Harry Greb.

Edited by vincec

Donovan is one of the more overrated QBs in the NFL. Along with Steve McNair and he was definately a product of Reid's geniusness. IMO Andy Reid is one of the better coaches in the NFL. The only thing that stops him from being an elite is because he sucks at clock management. But as far as developing players and managing his team, he's definately one of the better coaches. Like I said before. Reid MADE Vick the QB he is today.

If it looks like crap, and smells like crap, then most likely it's crap. With all the personal attacks over the years, one has to wonder if maybe Donovan isn't the good ole boy that everyone males him out to be. Inside the locker rooms he was kicked off the Eagles and the Skins, by 2 different (most likely) HOF coaches, and alienated by his HOF WR. I know, say all you want about TO, but when he was here in Buffalo we saw first hand how things get blown out of proportion by the media regarding him and his issues. Something just seems really fishy about McNabb after really thinking about it.

ill bite...really?

McNabb didnt kiss Hopkins' backside when he went to Eagles practice once and Hopkins has been crying about it ever since

McNabb was never an elite QB and is one of the more inaccurate I have ever seen, yes he put up stats but anyone would as much as that team passes

when McNabb got hurt the team played better with backups AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia

he tries to be funny but ends up coming off like a tool...seriously, how many times have we seen the air guitar?

Edited by Max997

McNabb is a good QB. I would love to see what he could do with Chan Gailey. He performed very well at Syracuse. He is 1000 times better than most QB's Chan has made into stars or semi-stars (Kordell, Fitz, etc.). If he goes to a team that knows how to use his skills, he will be very solid. Look for him to land in Arizona and have a very very good season.

Also, you can't hold what happened in Washington against him. That team sucks the life out of players, look at all the "stars" they bring in there who die. Shanahan is not a QB coach, he is known for taking players and making them 1000 yard rushers, yet he didn't even do that last year in Washington. Don't hold this against McNabb, Shananhan is a joke and so is the entire Redskins team.

Edited by RyanC883

I agree that Hopkins is an assclown and shouldn't be allowed to speak in public. Ever!!! But McNabb is a joke of a QB in my opinion. He was a direct product of Andy Reids system in Philly with average skill. My biggest response se to McNabb lovers is how he was huffing and puffing with the game on the line in his only SuperBowl with plenty of time to come away with a win. And that's after he lost how many NFC championship games? 5? Even TO played on a recently broken leg and had an amazing game.

Then there's the stupidity of not knowing that overtime is limited in the pros. The guy stinks in big games.

How many AFCC games did Kelly win? And how many SBs?

That being said, Donovan has an earned rep as a choker.

Donovan is one of the more overrated QBs in the NFL. Along with Steve McNair and he was definately a product of Reid's geniusness. IMO Andy Reid is one of the better coaches in the NFL. The only thing that stops him from being an elite is because he sucks at clock management. But as far as developing players and managing his team, he's definately one of the better coaches. Like I said before. Reid MADE Vick the QB he is today.

One could easily conclude that Andy Reid started his "geniusness" as soon as he started McNabb at QB. Ohterwise, he is a game day bumbler.

Your claim that he "MADE Vick" is nuts.

McNabb is a good QB. I would love to see what he could do with Chan Gailey. He performed very well at Syracuse. He is 1000 times better than most QB's Chan has made into stars or semi-stars (Kordell, Fitz, etc.). If he goes to a team that knows how to use his skills, he will be very solid. Look for him to land in Arizona and have a very very good season.

Also, you can't hold what happened in Washington against him. That team sucks the life out of players, look at all the "stars" they bring in there who die. Shanahan is not a QB coach, he is known for taking players and making them 1000 yard rushers, yet he didn't even do that last year in Washington. Don't hold this against McNabb, Shananhan is a joke and so is the entire Redskins team.

No he's not. LOL. You serious? You haven't seen many Philly games have you. There's a reason why Brian Westbrook was always ranked 1 or 2 in receptions when they both played in Philly. U wanna call Trent captain checkdown?

KYLE Shanahan is a QB coach. Kyle Shanahan had a big part in building the passing offense in Houston as he overlooked the WR's and QB's. If theres one person that knows the passing game it's him. McNabb is and never was a good QB. Andy Reid did a great job protecting him while he was in Philly by installing the the screen passes into their playbook. Nobody ran screen passes as much as Philly and New England. Why else would Andy Reid and the Eagles trade him to a division rival? Because he's not a threat to them. They knew that he wasn't a great QB to begin with.

very well at Syracuse, how long ago was that and what does that have to do with how he has performed in the NFL?

McNabb has ZERO touch on his passes and cant hit a receiver 10 yards away in the hands...he throws more short passes at the receivers feet then any QB I have ever seen

No he's not. LOL. You serious? You haven't seen many Philly games have you. There's a reason why Brian Westbrook was always ranked 1 or 2 in receptions when they both played in Philly. U wanna call Trent captain checkdown?

KYLE Shanahan is a QB coach. Kyle Shanahan had a big part in building the passing offense in Houston as he overlooked the WR's and QB's. If theres one person that knows the passing game it's him. McNabb is and never was a good QB. Andy Reid did a great job protecting him while he was in Philly by installing the the screen passes into their playbook. Nobody ran screen passes as much as Philly and New England. Why else would Andy Reid and the Eagles trade him to a division rival? Because he's not a threat to them. They knew that he wasn't a great QB to begin with.

McNabb played with few offensive weapons, other than Westbrook, for most of his tenure in Philly. In order to get the ball in the hands of their best playmaker the Eagles used short passes to Westbrook in the flats, just like the Rams with Marshall Faulk and Saints with Bush (and hopefully CJ with the Bills), very effectively. I suppose Warner and Brees are also marginal QBs. When your receivers are named Thrash, Curtis, Pinkston, Mitchell and Kendra, you wind up throwing to your RB a lot.

Screen passes are not the same thing as checking down. Screen passes are not used just to protect poor QBs. Screens were a huge part of NE's success during their 3 superbowl years when Brady had few offensive playmakers. And didn't Donovan "not a threat" McNabb beat Philly in their first matchup last season?

I'm not claiming Donovan is bound for Canton, but give the guy some credit. He was a good QB who is in the twilight of his career. In his prime he would have started on almost any team in the league. Reid dealt McNabb because football is a business. Donovan's best years are behind him and he thought he had a starter in Kolb.