Rank the Bills first round picks

I've complied a ranking of the Bills' first round picks in the Modrak era, from best to worst. Feel free to comment, or contribute your own rankings of the Bills' first round picks.

1) Eric Wood. He shows signs of living up to his draft position. That makes him the best first round selection of the Modrak era.

2) Lee Evans. While he never lived up to the expectations associated with the 13th overall pick, he has been a solid contributor for the Bills.

3) Willis McGahee. Picked late in the first round, McGahee was traded away a few years later for a couple of third round picks. This draft pick was only partially wasted! :):thumbsup:

4) Donte Whitner. Chosen eighth overall, Whitner has played about as well as you might expect from someone in the late second or early third round. The eighth overall pick is worth 1400 points, while the 15th pick of the second round is worth 430 points. The Bills received about one fourth of what this pick was worth.

5) Leodis McKelvin. While it is a little early to rank this pick, McKelvin looks to be a player who plays very well in stretches, only to get beat through mental errors. Using the 11th overall pick on a guy who should probably be your #3 CB isn't exactly the pinnacle of success, but it's better than anything below.

6) Marshawn Lynch. Taken 12th overall, he was traded for a 4th rounder (plus change) just a few years later. Turning the 12th overall pick into a fourth rounder isn't the kind of alchemy you hope to see from your front office, but the fact the Bills got some value from him makes him the 6th-best selection.

7) J.P. Losman. He had a decent year in 2006; but was otherwise useless to the team. He ranks lower than Lynch because the Bills could get nothing for him in a trade; and because of his subsequent difficulty finding a roster spot in the NFL.

8) Mike Williams. The Mike Williams of 2004 would have represented an upgrade at RT for the 2010 Bills. You hope to get more than just one somewhat decent season out of a RT chosen fourth overall. But as a Bills fan, you don't always get everything you want.

9) John McCargo. There'd been discussion of trading him away for a fifth rounder--at least until he failed the Colts' physical. While a fifth rounder isn't a great return from a first rounder, it's better than nothing. Which is exactly what the Bills would get if they tried to trade away . . .

10) Aaron Maybin. Chosen 11th overall, this player has done nothing for the team.

Unranked: Spiller. (Too early to make an assessment.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've complied a ranking of the Bills' first round picks in the Modrak era, from best to worst. Feel free to comment, or contribute your own rankings of the Bills' first round picks.

1) Eric Wood. He shows signs of living up to his draft position. That makes him the best first round selection of the Modrak era.

2) Lee Evans. While he never lived up to the expectations associated with the 13th overall pick, he has been a solid contributor for the Bills.

3) Willis McGahee. Picked late in the first round, McGahee was traded away a few years later for a couple of third round picks. This draft pick was only partially wasted! :):thumbsup:

4) Donte Whitner. Chosen eighth overall, Whitner has played about as well as you might expect from someone in the late second or early third round. The eighth overall pick is worth 1400 points, while the 15th pick of the second round is worth 430 points. The Bills received about one fourth of what this pick was worth.

5) Leodis McKelvin. While it is a little early to rank this pick, McKelvin looks to be a player who plays very well in stretches, only to get beat through mental errors. Using the 11th overall pick on a guy who should probably be your #3 CB isn't exactly the pinnacle of success, but it's better than anything below.

6) Marshawn Lynch. Taken 12th overall, he was traded for a 4th rounder (plus change) just a few years later. Turning the 12th overall pick into a fourth rounder isn't the kind of alchemy you hope to see from your front office, but the fact the Bills got some value from him makes him the 6th-best selection.

7) J.P. Losman. He had a decent year in 2006; but was otherwise useless to the team. He ranks lower than Lynch because the Bills could get nothing for him in a trade; and because of his subsequent difficulty finding a roster spot in the NFL.

8) Mike Williams. The Mike Williams of 2004 would have represented an upgrade at RT for the 2010 Bills. You hope to get more than just one somewhat decent season out of a RT chosen fourth overall. But as a Bills fan, you don't always get everything you want.

9) John McCargo. There'd been discussion of trading him away for a fifth rounder--at least until he failed the Colts' physical. While a fifth rounder isn't a great return from a first rounder, it's better than nothing. Which is exactly what the Bills would get if they tried to trade away . . .

10) Aaron Maybin. Chosen 11th overall, this player has done nothing for the team.

It's awful when Mike Williams isn't your worst

Ahhh I'll never forget the game in which both Lynch and Jackson each rushed for 100 yards against the Dolphins in Miami...sweet memories.

I say that because I find myself troubled by this GM-HC and its getting tougher and tougher to post positive things about this new staff. So I wanted to open with something positive.This GM and HC went into last years draft and stated the O line was a "priority", then proceeded to draft 5th & 7th round projects, the 7th was cut in preseason, this year they both Nix & Gailey state the team needs a RT and then they draft a 4th round project.

C.J. Spiller drafted 9th by the Bills last season under Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey and he was supposed to make the O line block better, he was named the starting RB to open the season but he only gained 26 carries for 122 yards ALL YEAR with no injury!, WTH happened?. At least Lynch and McGahee became starters, once healthy McGahee rushed for 1128-1247 yards in 04-05. Lynch ran for 1115-1036 yards in 07-08

I look at the Donte Whitner pick and he was ranked as the 56th rated player in that draft,( late 2nd rounder) so to tab him with the 8th pick in the first was a really long reach, a go go gadget reach. But the guy started and has remained the starter and done a decent job at cleaning up all the missed tackles by the players in front of him. Was it his fault Jauron reached for him because the Bills were desperate since they had just cut S Lawyer Milloy? Why did they cut Milloy to begin with, the guy has still started for Atlanta and Seattle the last 5 years. Grass is always greener?

NFN but I'm still waiting for one player drafted by Gaily-Nix to become a starter and make an impact ...I have no doubt Darius will do both, but the guy practically fell in their lap. Lets not forget the fact that both Nix and Nevergiveup stated that Cam Newton was at the top of their board with Darius. So Carolina and Denver spared Buffalo from another 3 year QB project.

As bad as Modrak was, at least most of his first round picks became starters and did pretty well. The team did regress under Gailey in almost every area except passing offense, and while Gailey gets most of the credit for that, Fitz had a lot to do with it. Gailey did fail with both Brohm and Edwards

I Keep wondering when will this team put it all together again and be a good team in every facet, passing AND running, defense and special teams.

It's awful when Mike Williams isn't your worst

amen

Yea I agree, right now in my view its a toss up between John McCargo-Aaron Maybin-CJ Spiller as the worst #1 pick. But I'm hoping CJ learns the playbook and has a good year in 2011

As bad as Modrak was, at least most of his first round picks became starters and did pretty well. The team did regress under Gailey in almost every area except passing offense, and while Gailey gets most of the credit for that, Fitz had a lot to do with it. Gailey did fail with both Brohm and Edwards

You are not good at sarcasm.

1) Eric Wood, 2) Lee Evans, 3) Willis McGahee, 4) Donte Whitner, 5) Leodis McKelvin, 6) Marshawn Lynch, 7) J.P. Losman, 8) Mike Williams, 9) John McCargo and 10) Aaron Maybin.

Good job Edward's Arm.

I find it interesting that Ralph Wilson said, "Tom does a good job, but he doesn't make the last call. He puts the [draft] board up. But it comes down to making the last decision. That's not Tom." Doesn't this sound like Wilson saying it's not Modrak's fault that the Bills have drafted so poorly? Then what was the reason for firing Modrak? Of course, Wilson has regularly put his foot in his mouth in recent years, so this is nothing unusual.

I'm glad they dumped Modrak, but if he's not among the final decision makers, the problem has not been solved.

Good job Edward's Arm.

I find it interesting that Ralph Wilson said, "Tom does a good job, but he doesn't make the last call. He puts the [draft] board up. But it comes down to making the last decision. That's not Tom." Doesn't this sound like Wilson saying it's not Modrak's fault that the Bills have drafted so poorly? Then what was the reason for firing Modrak? Of course, Wilson has regularly put his foot in his mouth in recent years, so this is nothing unusual.

I'm glad they dumped Modrak, but if he's not among the final decision makers, the problem has not been solved.

I've seen that quote referenced in a thread elsewhere as well. IMHO it doesnt matter if Modrak pulled the trigger or not, he created the draft board, if you order the board with 1. reach 2. reach 3. gadget 4. good player the people pulling the trigger are bound to be making bad decisions because of the poor grading/ordering. That said why is it that the last two drafts with Nix involved have been much better, wasnt Modrak still making the boards? Or did Nix take over the board creation duty? Or was Nix able to read Modraks board as it should have been read and was he able to see through the projects/reaches/gadgets and skip to the good players?

Good list from the OP, I'd flip a couple players that he had

1) Eric Wood. Lee Evans

2) Lee Evans. Eric Wood

3) Willis McGahee.

4) Donte Whitner.

5) Leodis McKelvin. Marshawn Lynch.

6) Marshawn Lynch. Leodis McKelvin

7) J.P. Losman.

8) Mike Williams.

9) John McCargo.

10) Aaron Maybin.

Not a bad list. I would have mine as follows:

1. Lee Evans-has been team's best receiver pretty much since he was drafted.

2. Marshawn Lynch-Two 1,000 yard seasons. The most exciting running back this team has had since Thurman retired.

3. Eric Wood-Has potential to be one of the best Guards in the NFL, but too early to put him at #1 on any list, since he has barely played more than one season.

4. Donte Whitner-Burned like toast often, but always on the field and a fierce hitter.

5. Willis McGahee-Couple good seasons. Drops down the list because as a pick, because he couldn't even suit up his rookie year. Also drops down because he is an idiot.

6. Leodis McKelvin-Has had highs and real lows. Good potential. Was a reach in the draft. Will always be remembered in Buffalo for losing the season opener in New England a couple years ago with one of the biggest bonehead plays in Bills history.

7. J. P. Losman-Had all the physical tools. My personel opionion is that Mularkey ruined this guy, yanking him in and out of the lineup after one bad series.

8. John McCargo-Only put him above Mike Williams because he lasted longer in Buffalo and was not drafted anywhere near as high as the #4 pick overall.

9. Mike Williams-No need to explain.

10. Aaron Maybin-A high first round pick and even gets beat out on special teams. Two years in the NFL and still does not have a sack? Total bust.

I ranked these on their value as draft picks, since that is what the post is about. Just look at this list though, is it any wonder this team has sucked for so long?

Edited by billsfreak

2. Marshawn Lynch-Two 1,000 yard seasons. The most exciting running back this team has had since Thurman retired.

3. Eric Wood-Has potential to be one of the best Guards in the NFL, but too early to put him at #1 on any list, since he has barely played more than one season.

4. Donte Whitner-Burned like toast often, but always on the field and a fierce hitter.

5. Willis McGahee-Couple good seasons. Drops down the list because as a pick, because he couldn't even suit up his rookie year. Also drops down because he is an idiot.

6. Leodis McKelvin-Has had highs and real lows. Good potential. Was a reach in the draft. Will always be remembered in Buffalo for losing the season opener in New England a couple years ago with one of the biggest bonehead plays in Bills history.

7. J. P. Losman-Had all the physical tools. My personel opionion is that Mularkey ruined this guy, yanking him in and out of the lineup after one bad series.

8. John McCargo-Only put him above Mike Williams because he lasted longer in Buffalo and was not drafted anywhere near as high as the #4 pick overall.

10. Aaron Maybin-A high first round pick and even gets beat out on special teams. Two years in the NFL and still does not have a sack? Total bust.

I ranked these on their value as draft picks, since that is what the post is about. Just look at this list though, is it any wonder this team has sucked for so long?

I don't buy it. Mularkey's done a hell of a job throughout his career as an offensive coordinator wiht both the Steelers and the Falcons. The QB controversy was ugly, but I'm inclined to err on the side of Mularkey recognizing that JP was a complete waste rather than JP failing because Mularkey poorly coached him.

I don't buy it. Mularkey's done a hell of a job throughout his career as an offensive coordinator wiht both the Steelers and the Falcons. The QB controversy was ugly, but I'm inclined to err on the side of Mularkey recognizing that JP was a complete waste rather than JP failing because Mularkey poorly coached him.

I don't agree. If Mularkey knew Losman was a "complete waste" as you put it, why did he keep putting him back in, over and over and over? I didn't say Losman was the second coming of Joe Montana, but it there is a slight chance that it might have turned out different if he was handled different, confidence plays a real big part in a young, raw quarterback's success in the NFL.

I don't agree. If Mularkey knew Losman was a "complete waste" as you put it, why did he keep putting him back in, over and over and over? I didn't say Losman was the second coming of Joe Montana, but it there is a slight chance that it might have turned out different if he was handled different, confidence plays a real big part in a young, raw quarterback's success in the NFL.

I can tell you, Mularkey was not in favor of jettisoning Drew Bledsoe after the 2004 season, because he knew JP Losman was not ready to be a starting NFL QB. In fact, almost nobody in the Bills organization, other than Tom Donohoe, viewed JP as a first round, franchise type QB. Not to say that they didn't like him, or his potential, but they knew he was a project.

Mularkey, and Sam Wyche, both had concerns about Losman's studying habits. You remember when JP made his debut, against the Pats, on a nationally televised Sunday night game? He looked awful, and unprepared? That was done on purpose, to teach the kid a lesson about being prepared. If you recall, the Bills were getting killed, and Bledsoe was taking a beating...remember, the cameras caught Shane Matthews warming up on the sidelines...instead, Mularkey surprised everyone, and told Losman to go in. Mularkey knew there were reasons to concerned about JP's maturity.

Pretty good list. It's ugly to see it in black and white, isn't it.

If you're looking for more research assignments, I for one would love to see the players we passed over in each of those drafts, like Cushing and Matthews when the Bills took Maynot.

As to whether or not Mularkey mishandled Losman, one of the things that the draft commentators talk about every year is how much (or how little) coaching-up QB prospects need upon entering the NFL. Just this year, Newton, Gabbert, Dalton and Kaepernick were all regarded as potentially fine QBs who would need a bunch of work to make them into prototypical NFL QBs. In other words, the expectation is that you don't take one of those guys unless you're prepared to hire one or more coaches to work intensely with them. And he'd better be a good coach too. What does this have to do with Losman? Or Edwards for that matter? Just that the Bills coaches were erratic about focusing on training their young QBs. There were years when they didn't even have a QB coach. And when they did have one, it felt like an afterthought or grudging. Kind of unbelievable if you think about it. You go out and draft a guy, then put the future of your franchise in his hands, but you neglect to spend money on a coach who focuses exclusively on him? Penny wise and pound foolish.

Pretty good list. It's ugly to see it in black and white, isn't it.

If you're looking for more research assignments, I for one would love to see the players we passed over in each of those drafts, like Cushing and Matthews when the Bills took Maynot.

As to whether or not Mularkey mishandled Losman, one of the things that the draft commentators talk about every year is how much (or how little) coaching-up QB prospects need upon entering the NFL. Just this year, Newton, Gabbert, Dalton and Kaepernick were all regarded as potentially fine QBs who would need a bunch of work to make them into prototypical NFL QBs. In other words, the expectation is that you don't take one of those guys unless you're prepared to hire one or more coaches to work intensely with them. And he'd better be a good coach too. What does this have to do with Losman? Or Edwards for that matter? Just that the Bills coaches were erratic about focusing on training their young QBs. There were years when they didn't even have a QB coach. And when they did have one, it felt like an afterthought or grudging. Kind of unbelievable if you think about it. You go out and draft a guy, then put the future of your franchise in his hands, but you neglect to spend money on a coach who focuses exclusively on him? Penny wise and pound foolish.

Except that you remember, the Bills hired Sam Wyche, specifically, to serve as Losman's coach? Wyche was to leave no stone unturned with the kid, from the field, and how to handle himself in the media...

Do you think that Mularkey would have a job for long (not that he did here in Buffalo, but work with me here) if he didn't try to utilize the guy that cost the Bills two first round picks? There was a lot of pressure in the organization to get JP to play, and, with what he cost, rightly so. Unfortunately he was a dud from the beginning and Mularkey knew it. Letting him flounder from week to week wasn't going to inspire his confidence one bit. He wasn't prepared to start so early (if ever) and cost Mularkey his job, as well as setting back the franchise for many years.

I like this list better. They all haven't been bust but there should have been more home runs.