Trade Down

It baffles me why the Bills wouldn't trade down and get more value out of their pics. For a team that has so many holes, it would seem to be wise to get more pics and try to plug our more of our holes (QB, OL, LB, DT, etc...). I understand being confident in the guys you want, but winning teams are able to remain flexible enough to make the draft work to their advantage.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/5/2152950/buddy-nix-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-2011

It baffles me why the Bills wouldn't trade down and get more value out of their pics. For a team that has so many holes, it would seem to be wise to get more pics and try to plug our more of our holes (QB, OL, LB, DT, etc...). I understand being confident in the guys you want, but winning teams are able to remain flexible enough to make the draft work to their advantage.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/5/2152950/buddy-nix-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-2011

Well, perhaps because they thought that the player that they were going to get without trading down was worth

more than the two later picks that they'd have gotten? Remember, for a team to offer a package of later picks for

one earlier pick, they must've felt that the one earlier pick was equivalent or better than the package of later

picks or they wouldn't have made the offer....

Because maybe the value in getting an elite player like Dareus is far better than anything we could have gotten with the extra picks. I'm not sure why people think this team could be rebuilt through 1 or 2 drafts.

Because maybe the value in getting an elite player like Dareus is far better than anything we could have gotten with the extra picks. I'm not sure why people think this team could be rebuilt through 1 or 2 drafts.

I don't think that it's a way to build thru one or two drafts. there is no such thing as a "sure fire" guy in the draft. even if they didn't trade away their 1st rdr, there was plenty of value later in the second they could've had...this team still needs depth, and skill at ILB, OLB, QB, and OT. If teams are offering a decent swap in the second round for example, there was still plenty of value left for them to drop down.

the good teams are able to make these trades.

Well, perhaps because they thought that the player that they were going to get without trading down was worth

more than the two later picks that they'd have gotten? Remember, for a team to offer a package of later picks for

one earlier pick, they must've felt that the one earlier pick was equivalent or better than the package of later

picks or they wouldn't have made the offer....

the problem is the bills have always like "their guy"...it's killed us when they've moved up for guys like Losman, McCargo, or reached for McGahee. this inflexibility doesn't pay off when there are smart opportunities to move down.

I don't think that it's a way to build thru one or two drafts. there is no such thing as a "sure fire" guy in the draft. even if they didn't trade away their 1st rdr, there was plenty of value later in the second they could've had...this team still needs depth, and skill at ILB, OLB, QB, and OT. If teams are offering a decent swap in the second round for example, there was still plenty of value left for them to drop down.

the good teams are able to make these trades.

the problem is the bills have always like "their guy"...it's killed us when they've moved up for guys like Losman, McCargo, or reached for McGahee. this inflexibility doesn't pay off when there are smart opportunities to move down.

Yeah, the good teams are able to make those trades...Would you say the Bills are good?

Yes it is baffling. If the Bills had played their cards right they could have traded down on every pick and ended up with 25 7th round picks. Clearly that is how the successful teams have been built in the NFL.

so you are baffled that we drafted arguably the best player in the draft, that fills the area of biggest need?

so you are baffled that we drafted arguably the best player in the draft, that fills the area of biggest need?

how about the CB...would you say that was our biggest need. we could've traded (according to the report), and possibly still picked up an impact ILB, OT, QB, or even another D lineman....plus the extra pick or two depending on the trade.

Yeah, the good teams are able to make those trades...Would you say the Bills are good?

no. I think it's one reason they've been bad for so long. they don't get enough value from their drafts. don't get me wrong, I like a number of their picks (Dareus and Sheppard). I would like to see them make more out of the draft...I don't think they are.

how about the CB...would you say that was our biggest need. we could've traded (according to the report), and possibly still picked up an impact ILB, OT, QB, or even another D lineman....plus the extra pick or two depending on the trade.

if you are talking about trading in the second, then that makes a little more sense. if you are refering to trading down in the first round, then you are on your own.

no. I think it's one reason they've been bad for so long. they don't get enough value from their drafts. don't get me wrong, I like a number of their picks (Dareus and Sheppard). I would like to see them make more out of the draft...I don't think they are.

First point. This was a weak CB class and Williams was a first round talent and we need one. That was a good smart pick.

Second point we just fired Modrak, that's a huge plus right there and we got an elite presence on the D line. That is so much better than accumulating solid talent IMO

In a competitive league, you've got to have savvy executives who understand when to take calculated risks and when to stand fast. Nix has all but said he isolates on one player and is so risk-averse he won't consider trades. The Dareus pick was a no-brainer, and I'm glad they didn't trade out from the 3rd pick. But if ATL offfered a group of picks for Buffalo to move down in a strong DL draft, you've got to consider it. The fact that BN outright denies trades should alarm those who think this team will be rebuilt in 3 years.

I would think Buffalo received plenty of calls for their second rounder, 34th overall, but chose to use that pick. Compare that with a team like Cleveland who decided, in a DL heavy draft, to move down and add picks. Sure, there's risk, but that's present in everything anyone does.

The Bills haven't traded down in the draft since 2001. In any round. :o

We need top rate quality players, the earlier the pick the better the chance of getting a stand out player. To get more second rate/depth players makes no sense at all. The first three picks are players we needed and were taken at good value when we picked them. If Dareus and Miller were both off the board for the first pick then trading back would be an option.

I prefer them to stay put unless some sort unbelievable deal fell in their laps.

It seems like there are two big ways to work the draft: Trade down and stock pile picks vs stay where you are and draft the best player that falls to you. The pats* obviously stock pile picks. But I think that there track record is sloppy and if it weren't for their FA deals, their team would be much much weaker. The steelers tend to stay where they are and let players just fall to them. They seem to be much better at finding talent in the draft than the Pats* do. Actually, they seem to do a lot better than the pats* in the draft.

So as far as drafting goes, I would much rather copy the steelers than copy the Pats*

We need top rate quality players, the earlier the pick the better the chance of getting a stand out player. To get more second rate/depth players makes no sense at all. The first three picks are players we needed and were taken at good value when we picked them. If Dareus and Miller were both off the board for the first pick then trading back would be an option.

in a perfect world a guy picked at 34 would be better than a guy picked at 40...but that's not the case. Otherwise Maybin would be pretty damn good. Sometimes good deals come along simply for trading down. Obviously, the farther you trade down, the better the deal should be. The Bills could've traded down to the bottom half of rd two and still had its pick of some high end guys.

The teams that manipulate the board the most seem to be the ones that are winning year in and year out. When you are a 10+ win team, you can move up or down because you have elite players. If you are drafting 3rd overall, its because you need elite players. If you trade back and get more mediocre players, you will remain mediocre.

in a perfect world a guy picked at 34 would be better than a guy picked at 40...but that's not the case. Otherwise Maybin would be pretty damn good. Sometimes good deals come along simply for trading down. Obviously, the farther you trade down, the better the deal should be. The Bills could've traded down to the bottom half of rd two and still had its pick of some high end guys.

like?

Sometimes good deals come along simply for trading down. Obviously, the farther you trade down, the better the deal should be.

Key word being "sometimes." More often than not, the higher draft picks have a higher success rate. If the lower picks had more success than the higher picks, then people would be fighting left and right to get those later picks.

All those guys are a long gone regime...has no relevance to the philosophy of Nix.

Yes we have lots of holes, and sure there are times where a trade down seems attractive to fans, however, I assure you that the GM's have a bounty more information in those war rooms on who they are dead set on getting and who else is interested in them. Like Nix said, if you have a guy that you want at that pick, then trading back risks that.

When you are a team that lacks Elite players, its never a bad thing to go after the best prospects, especially when you are picking at the top of each round.