USA Today Report: Bills would have traded

Jim Miller, former NFL quarterback told USA Today writer Jim Corbett that the Bills would have traded back into the first round if Christian Ponder had not been selected at #12 by the Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-05-03-jake-locker-sw_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28Sports+-+NFL+-+Top+Stor

If true, this confirms the widely-held belief that the Bills only considered two QBs from this draft class…Cam Newton and Christian Ponder…to be "franchise quarterbacks."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, this confirms the widely-held belief that the Bills only considered two QBs from this draft class…Cam Newton and Christian Ponder…to be "franchise quarterbacks."

Thanks for spilling the beans Andre Reed. JK. :P

This sounds right. It was clear the Bills liked Ponder (as do I). The Vikings' picking him where they did was a surprise.

Thanks for spilling the beans Andre Reed. JK. :P

It is not a coincidence that the CIA deliberately did not tell either Pakistan or Andre about the OBL mission.

Edited by Peter

This sounds right. It was clear the Bills liked Ponder (as do I). The Vikings' picking them where they did was a surprise.

It is not a coincidence that the CIA deliberately did not tell either Pakistan or Andre about the OBL mission.

Or Michael Jasper.

no way. may drafted him in the 2nd, but thats it

In the week before the draft, the consensus speculation was that teams were gonna come after Ponder…in the first round.

It was virtually a given…as much as anything can be a given in the NFL Draft.

I'm not buying this at all, seriously.

I'm all about dissenting opinions and good discussion but do you actually have anything to base your opinion on?

Do you think the fact that the team was highly complimentary of him during and after the Senior Bowl carries no weight?

How about Andre Reed tweeting about welcoming Ponder to the Bills before the draft?

The testimony of an NFL insider?

If you want to be a contrarian fine…but please enlighten me.

There was a lot of chatter with a lot of teams wanting to move up into end of round 1.

And apparently the Titans and Vikings believed that rumor and stayed pat and "reached".

Edited by symbiant

Yikes--trading back into the first to reach for a QB?

That always works out well for us.

There were only 2 that I can remember.

One failed miserably. The other was pretty good(and I'm not sure if this was a draft day trade or not, too young to remember).

Frankly I am inclined to believe it. I don't think the Bill's are risk averse if they see a reasonable reward. Clearly Cam was in Buddy's gunsights and Cam at or near the top of the first is an extremely risky pick. Chan and Ponder go back a long ways, Chan having attempted to recruit him for GT and made no secret of his liking him (and with justification in my opinion). Ponder played in a pro type offence at FS and he's another guy who had a strong Senior Bowl week and game.

I'm no Tom Modrak, but I believe Ponder will be the best QB in this years draft class and I would have been thrilled if the Bills had been able to trade back into the first to grab him.

Edited by OnTheRocks

There were only 2 that I can remember.

One failed miserably. The other was pretty good(and I'm not sure if this was a draft day trade or not, too young to remember).

that pick we used for kelly was acquired in 1982 for Tom Cousineau. So, it wasn't a draft day trade