Wilfork vs. Jasper

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited at his numbers too, but two words come to mind to temper the enthusiasm until the pads go on: Leif Larsen

I think it is telling that there is very little discussion about what he did on the field. Sounds like he did not stand out.

I like the pick though, you need to take shots at extraordinary physical specimens and round 7 in a mediocre draft is where to do it. Larsen held some promise, but I think he got hurt. This seems to be a problem with specimens that haven't played a lot of football, they seem to end up injured. Perhaps the lack of experience makes them more susceptible.

Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen was taken just 5 picks before Tom Brady.

Everybody likes a rags to riches story, but this hype is out of control, and no longer even falls into the category of optimism. It is even beyond delusional!

I thought for a second it was April Fools Day.

Wilfork vs. Jasper? You guys are killing me. :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Delusional? Dude, I get the impression that Jasper would love nothing more than a chance to go toe to toe with Wilfork. I wouldn't exactly call that delusional, though. There is nothing wrong with optimism. Nothing at all.

Delusional? Dude, I get the impression that Jasper would love nothing more than a chance to go toe to toe with Wilfork. I wouldn't exactly call that delusional, though. There is nothing wrong with optimism. Nothing at all.

I didn't say Jasper was delusional. I am referring to the people posting about Jasper!

Considering there are no game highlights of Jasper nor can you find anything about his talent let alone dominance at the LOWEST level of college football, the only person being compared to Jasper should be Haystacks Calhoun. If you don't know who he is...

http://tinyurl.com/3exoq4j

:lol:

Edited by LabattBlue

Watch his agility drill....this is crazy for someone his size:

youtube.com/user/DynastyFootball#p/u/8/Gc8-n-LaWTY

well, hes too high in his stance and he doesnt lift his legs enough :lol:

now serious: he can move. i hope he can play

Lonnie Harvey?

Bingo not every big guy plucked out of obscurity is going to be the next Pat Williams. As much as Jasper is a physical freak he played for a college that didn't provide him with a whole lot of competition and he wasn't taken until the 7th round.

I am not sure if Jasper will amount to anything but the guy is intriguing and the Bills got a fun camp project that is worth at least keeping on the Practice Squad.

I want to see him lined up with Eric Wood in front of him. That will tell you what you need to know. As for what he did in college, he play at Bethel. You aren't going to find anything there. The team had a horrible offensive line so that is where they moved him even though he was probably a better fit as a nose tackle body wise. We're just going to have to wait till training camp to see, but damn I am stoked to see what he can do. As our scout said, guys this big strong and athletic don't grow on trees and in fact are extremely rare. He was intrigued enough to follow his progress for years. That just doesn't happen unless they saw something worth investing the time on.

Edited by Rockinon

I want to see him lined up with Eric Wood in front of him. That will tell you what you need to know. As for what he did in college, he play at Bethel. You aren't going to find anything there. The team had a horrible offensive line so that is where they moved him even though he was probably a better fit as a nose tackle body wise. We're just going to have to wait till training camp to see, but damn I am stoked to see what he can do. As our scout said, guys this big strong and athletic don't grow on trees and in fact are extremely rare. He was intrigued enough to follow his progress for years. That just doesn't happen unless they saw something worth investing the time on.

Matt Hand, the Bills Blesto Scout who discovered Jasper was just promoted to regional scout.

They are only suggestive - they hint that the kid may have the athletic talent to play in the NFL. Whether the talent translates is very much an open question. The odds are very much against the kid but the reward to the Bills could be very high if he does turn into a good player.

Not to mention the reward to him. Premier NFL NT vs just another fatboy who used to play football.

I remember just a couple of years ago being more excited about Stevie Johnson than Hardy too (although I know Dareus is not going to crap the bed like him). Just saying :doh: Good luck to the new kid. BTW Nix said they wouldn't have picked him if there was UDFAs but it was only the comp pick so they did, we'll see what happens.could be a great story if the kid excels though.

Bingo not every big guy plucked out of obscurity is going to be the next Pat Williams. As much as Jasper is a physical freak he played for a college that didn't provide him with a whole lot of competition and he wasn't taken until the 7th round.

In his defense, he was recruited by two SEC schools...Florida and Ole Miss. Both coaches got fired, and Jasper fell through the cracks to eventually land at Bethel.

In his defense, he was recruited by two SEC schools...Florida and Ole Miss. Both coaches got fired, and Jasper fell through the cracks to eventually land at Bethel.

The guys who do the recruiting for college programs don't let guys who can play at the D-1A level fall through the cracks. It's big business and it's their job to turn over every rock when it comes to finding guys who can play.

The guys who do the recruiting for college programs don't let guys who can play at the D-1A level fall through the cracks. It's big business and it's their job to turn over every rock when it comes to finding guys who can play.

So, let's just say (for a second) that you're right. College programs don't let players who can play D1 ball fall through the cracks. Yet, a pro football team decided to make him one of the 254 players drafted. So, he's not good enough for a big college program but a pro team decided he was worth it. Hmm...ok.

Also, D-1A college programs don't let players like Andre Reed, Don Beebe, Fred Jackson, and Pete Metzelaars fall through the cracks. Right?

Fact is, he was recruited by two different SEC programs. And your premise is false.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Can you teach dirty? Wilfork is one of the dirtiest SOB s in the NFL and when he takes a cheap shot at our QB, I want someone who will even the score on Brady. I still can't believe that we didn't gave someone take a run at Brady (penalty & fines be damned) when Wilfork blatantly took out Losman's knee. Dickie J declared himself a giant pussycat that day.

I'm worried about Jasper in this regard. As I posted elsewhere yesterday, the video of him actually playing football makes it seem like he has some Gentle Giant in him. He coulda destroyed some defenders, but opted to just push them out of the way.

Edited by maddenboy

So, let's just say (for a second) that you're right. College programs don't let players who can play D1 ball fall through the cracks. Yet, a pro football team decided to make him one of the 254 players drafted. So, he's not good enough for a big college program but a pro team decided he was worth it. Hmm...ok.

Also, D-1A college programs don't let players like Andre Reed, Don Beebe, Fred Jackson, and Pete Metzelaars fall through the cracks. Right?

Fact is, he was recruited by two different SEC programs. And your premise is false.

You made the point that he was recruited by football power SEC school to prove that he is a good talent, correct? I countered by saying that if he was that great of a talent AT THAT TIME, he would have been recruited by another D1 school instead of ending up in pigeon hole, tennessee for the last 4 years.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was criticizing #3 overall pick Dareus and not 7th round Jasper. :wallbash:

You made the point that he was recruited by football power SEC school to prove that he is a good talent, correct? I countered by saying that if he was that great of a talent AT THAT TIME, he would have been recruited by another D1 school instead of ending up in pigeon hole, tennessee for the last 4 years.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was criticizing #3 overall pick Dareus and not 7th round Jasper. :wallbash:

You made a blanket statement. Now you've amended your statement to include the words "at that time." My suggestion is to write more clearly.

Players like Fairley and Newton had to go to junior college before stepping up last year. This kid was overweight and out of position. Take his dedication and measureables, and then factor in Force = Mass x Acceleraton and we have to like the upside.

Dareus is by far the most talented. But Mr. Jasper is by far the most interesting.

You made a blanket statement. Now you've amended your statement to include the words "at that time." My suggestion is to write more clearly.

Players like Fairley and Newton had to go to junior college before stepping up last year. This kid was overweight and out of position. Take his dedication and measureables, and then factor in Force = Mass x Acceleraton and we have to like the upside.

Dareus is by far the most talented. But Mr. Jasper is by far the most interesting.

I'm done for now. There are some people who believe Jasper is a diamond in the rough without seeing ONE SINGLE HIGHLIGHT of him playing NT at the NAIA level, and then there are those of us who are grounded in reality.

I'll pick up this discussion in training camp.

I'm done for now. There are some people who believe Jasper is a diamond in the rough without seeing ONE SINGLE HIGHLIGHT of him playing NT at the NAIA level, and then there are those of us who are grounded in reality.

I'll pick up this discussion in training camp.

I remember this same exact argument when we signed an "undrafted" freakisly large and athletic person for his position by the name of Jason peters. Some of us were gaga over a 350 pound TE, some said if he was undrafted he must suck. I was solidily in the middle :thumbsup:

Spring is the time to be excited, November is for reality